Department Chair, Electrical Engineering and Renewable Energy Engineering
- Oregon Institute of Technology
- Klamath Falls, Oregon
- $90,000 - $115,000
- Faculty Jobs
- Engineering & Mathematics, Chemical & Biological Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Industrial & Systems Engineering, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Other Engineering Faculty Jobs
- Executive Administration Jobs
- C-Level & Executive Directors, Other Executive Administration
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
- Position Type: Tenure Track
- College/Division: College of Engineering Technology and Management (ETM)
- Department: Electrical Engineering & Renewable Energy
- Work Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
- Appointment: 1.0 FTE, 9 Months, Full Time Annual Salary: $90,000 - $115,000 Negotiable Based on Education & Experience
Oregon Tech, the first school to offer an ABET-accredited Renewable Energy degree, is seeking applications for a Department Chairperson. This position will be a full-time, tenure-track, position for the Electrical Engineering and Renewable Energy Engineering Department (EERE) starting in August of 2023.
The EERE Department is at an exciting time with many opportunities for growth, new programs, and increased research activity. The department has initiated a cluster hire of three additional faculty with expertise in renewable energy. These positions are slated to start in the Fall of 2023.
The EERE Chair, as departmental leader and champion, is a faculty member within the EERE Department who acts as supervisor of the department and as liaison between the department and the college and university administration. The new chair will lead collaborative initiatives in program development, enrollment growth, and funded research, while also working with the Dean of Engineering, Technology and Management to achieve the strategic goals and vision for the department and college.
The EERE Department at Oregon Tech is currently comprised of nine faculty members serving a student body of 250+ students. The department offers five degree programs across two locations, including 2 graduate degrees.
The duties and responsibilities of the EERE Chair include the following:
- Execute the strategic mission and vision of the department which seeks to recruit a diverse student body, elevate student success through increasing student retention and graduation, enhance departmental revenue and opportunities through successful partnerships, contain costs effectively, and build the brand recognition of the department, college and university.
- Lead departmental growth with respect to students, faculty, programs, resources and academic quality.
- Ensure that clear, consistent course goals and objectives are established by the department for all campuses; that department programs are designed to achieve these ends; and those goals, objectives and programs are periodically evaluated so that they are suited to the needs of students.
- Work closely with the Dean, the Office of Sponsored Research and the Advancement Office on activities that involve or have the potential to receive external resources.
- Encourage and mentor faculty to engage students in research and other experiential learning activities.
- Manage the department’s staffing and financial resources in consultation with the Dean, Institutional Research and the Academic Affairs Budget Director. Advocate for departmental needs with university administration.
- Monitor and support student recruitment, enrollment and retention efforts within departmental programs and service courses, in collaboration with Institutional Research and Strategic Enrollment Management.
- Develop and expand ties and relationships with appropriate partners (including industry, Office for Sponsored Projects, and community organizations) in order to increase opportunities for faculty professional development, student professional experiences and employment opportunities, and equipment donations.
- Teach courses related to renewable energy as time permits.
- Other duties may be assigned by the Dean based on strategic priorities of the college and university.
The Department Chair will be based in Klamath Falls, with an expectation of quarterly travel to the Portland-Metro campus in Wilsonville.
Oregon Tech’s EERE Department is committed to inclusive thought and action in support of our diverse community. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups and all those who share our commitment to inclusivity and passion for the strength of our diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Oregon Tech is one of the top public regional universities in the western United States and is consistently ranked among the top public colleges in the nation by US News & World Report. Oregon Tech has multiple locations including a rural campus in Klamath Falls, an urban campus in Portland-Metro, and an online campus. Each campus offers a variety of undergraduate and Master’s degree programs. Oregon Tech prides itself on delivering a high-quality, hands-on educational experience distinguished by a low student-to-faculty ratio.
The Electrical Engineering and Renewable Energy (EERE) department offers undergraduate programs in Electrical Engineering, Renewable Energy Engineering, and Electronics Engineering Technology, all of which are ABET accredited. The department also offers MS degrees in Renewable Energy Engineering and in Engineering. EERE faculty is a multidisciplinary team with backgrounds including electrical engineering, physical chemistry, materials science, and mechanical engineering. The EERE department is located on both the Klamath Falls and Wilsonville campuses. Core undergraduate programs are available on both campuses; other offerings vary by location. Majors in the EERE department are closely aligned with Oregon Tech’s mission of providing innovative and rigorous degree programs in technically-related fields with emphasis on the application of theory to practice.
Our programs have strong relationships with industry, particularly through Industry Advisory Boards which support the continued relevance and currency of the programs.
For more information about the department, visit: https://www.oit.edu/academics/engineering-technology-management/eere
- PhD. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Renewable Energy or related field Ability to effectively and respectfully work, communicate, and collaborate in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings Proven track record of academic accomplishments commensurate with rank
- Academic Management Experience Professional Engineering licensure
APPLICATION & NOMINATION PROCESS
Initial review of applications will begin on March 13th, 2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the initial review date until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. Therefore, at the discretion of the University, materials received after the initial review date may not receive full consideration.
Step 1: Complete this brief online application: https://jobs.oit.edu/postings/5698
Step 2: Upload the following elements to your application:
Required Documents 1. A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position
2. A resume/curriculum vitae
3. A teaching philosophy
4. A statement of your research interests
5. A statement of how you view/promote diversity (please upload in the “other document” section of required documents)
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION & EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At Oregon Institute of Technology, we don't just accept difference—we celebrate it; we support it; and we thrive on it for the benefit of our students, our employees, and our community. Oregon Tech is proud to be an affirmative action employer and equal opportunity workplace. We want applicants of diverse backgrounds and experiences. If you are a member of one of the equity groups identified by applicable law, we encourage you to self-identify, where requested in our online application system. If you are a member of a socially or historically underrepresented or marginalized group or you have actively demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion, we strongly encourage you to apply. Oregon Tech is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its services, programs, activities, education, and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application or interview process, please reach out to the Office of Human Resources
This position is based at the Klamath Falls Campus. It is the University's original and largest campus. Nestled on the eastern slope of the Cascade Mountains on Upper Klamath Lake, the 190-acre campus offers students a comprehensive residential experience with a low cost of living and a full array of Oregon Tech's signature degrees. Programs and student activities often engage in the beautiful environment around Klamath Falls, with outdoor activities like skiing, hiking, biking, water sports, and all that nature offers. Renewable energy produced on campus from solar and geothermal sources provides a unique, sustainable environment and a perfect complement to Oregon Tech's renewable energy engineering, environmental science, and other related degree programs. Approximately 2,200 students are enrolled at the Klamath Falls residential campus, and the bulk of Oregon Tech's faculty and staff work on this campus.
ABOUT OREGON TECH
Founded in 1947, initially as a vocational rehabilitation school for World War II veterans, Oregon Tech has grown immensely in size, scope, and service. Today, we're accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, and our student population totals nearly 5,000, making our student-to-faculty ratio 16:1.
Officially recognized as Oregon's Polytechnic University, we specialize in engineering, technology, healthcare, business, communication, and applied sciences such as psychology and environmental science. Our faculty and industry partners work hard to ensure students have the resources and training to tackle the challenges of both today and tomorrow.
Oregon Tech's real-world focus produces real results, too: Within six months of graduation, our students are either enrolled in graduate school or employed with median starting salaries of $60,000 per year.
Some of our students know what they want to pursue before they even step foot on campus. Others might have an inkling and find their path as they explore the options available at Oregon Tech. Either way, students' time at the University gives them the know-how to produce work that matters to them -- and to the world. Put another way, we provide hands-on education for real-world achievement. That's Oregon Tech's distinct commitment.
Two traits that make Oregon Tech a special place include our sincere focus on our students and the impressive quality of the students we attract.
Our individualized and applied approach to teaching, which blends theory and practice, is the main reason our graduates are so avidly recruited. Whether they study software engineering, vascular technology, management, or dental hygiene, Oregon Tech students have unique opportunities to apply what they learn in lab-based classes, clinics, externships, and workplaces. This practical focus is reinforced in the classroom by instructors who come to Oregon Tech with relevant business, industry, or clinical experience.
Through our nearly 50 bachelor's and advanced degree programs, the University offers a rigorous, experiential education that allows students to pursue their passions and professional opportunities in internships, externships, and field experiences.
Oregon Tech is committed to building and supporting a diverse and inclusive community of students, faculty, and staff, where each person is welcomed, valued, and feels a sense of belonging.
To peruse other employment opportunities at Oregon's premiere polytechnic university, visit the Oregon Tech Job Board: https://jobs.oit.edu
Oregon Tech proudly offers a competitive benefits package to eligible employees; to learn more about the comprehensive offering of benefits visit: https://www.oit.edu/human-resources/benefits
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert