Job no: 494517
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Role: Director of Business Development Center
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Rate of Pay:
This position is a grade 15 with a minimum of $56,925 and a mid-point of $75,900. Salary offer will be commensurate with the education/experience, in alignment with the College’s compensation philosophy, and the current CBA, if applicable.
An employee in this classification performs work of moderate difficulty to operate and manage the Business Development Center at ECC. Work is distinguished by the ability to counsel and assist prospective and existing business owners in all areas of starting and operating a business. General supervision is received by the assigned manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university in business, economics or related field; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable skill to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Considerable skill to effectively present information to both internal and external organizations.
- Bi-lingual (English-Spanish).
- Considerable skill in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Access and Publisher.
- Considerable skill in organizing work to meet established deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Considerable skill in interpersonal interaction to be applied to a variety of individuals with differing education, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Considerable skills in verbal and written communication.
- Working skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends when required by the department’s needs.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Five years of small business management or business consulting experience.
- Provide oversight of services or counseling to clients on all business-related matters related to growth and expansion of their business from incubation to fiscally sound operations.
- Evaluate the counselors, consultants and part time instructors hired to perform counseling and training services.
- Develop budget and prepare reports as needed.
- Operate within the rules and regulations as identified by grants and other regulating bodies.
- Attend meetings, conferences and trade shows as a representative of the Business Development Center when required.
- Market and promote the business services provided by the Business Development Center.
- Recruit business within the district who need services to ensure ECC is serving the correct amount of business.
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws.
- Maintains required training, licensure and/or certifications.
- Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
- Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
- Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality.
- Available to respond to internal and external customers, either in person or over the phone, during scheduled business hours.
- Demonstrates independent judgement and discretion in making position related decisions.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date is 02/09/2023. Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 02/16/2023 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: February 9, 2023 Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled