- Emerson College
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Institutional Research & Planning
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
Reporting to the Director of Business Intelligence of Enterprise Data and Solutions of Information Technology, the Data Modeler is a key member of the Business Intelligence team responsible for the design of data model solutions that reduce data redundancy, streamline the movement of data, ensure data security and privacy standards, and improve overall institutional data management. The Data Modeler will be accountable for analyzing and translating business needs into long-term, sustainable data models across various data subject areas including Enrollment Management, Academic Affairs, Campus Life, Finance, and Human Resources by transforming various applications data sources into a centralized data platform. Excellent data query and data analytical ability with strong academic and college business knowledge are essential.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Develop plan for business intelligence initiatives, recommend innovative technologies, methods, and industry-leading data modeling tools and best practices, design and maintenance of a system to warehouse data and information, including structured and unstructured data sets. Organize and transform data into comprehensible data models.
- Map data from new sources to the central data model to support the creation of new or extension of existing reports/dashboards and perform data validation. Provide requirements and execute data extraction, transformation, and load procedures.
- Support Argos and Tableau platforms through building data pipelines to facilitate the growth of dashboards and incorporate new and diversified data sources.
- Manages all technical aspects of our business intelligence environment, including data transformation and governance, performance monitoring and identification and support of analytics tools. Conduct regular architecture, security, data management, permissions reviews to enable proper data access/management to sources.
- Use complex data analysis and query, data science and data modeling techniques to develop reports and data analytics solutions. This includes engineering solutions in the form of business dashboards, reports and data visualizations integrating with internal and external public data sources like College Board or IPEDS. Provide statistical analysis of data, predict trends on business and academic performance, use data mining to extract information from data sets and identify correlations and patterns.
- Actively organize data literacy, report and dashboard training to key business users. Focus on storytelling to solve practical business issues and evolve data analytics for department engagement.
- Partner with academic units and business departments such as Institutional Research, Enrollment Management, Registrar, Finance, HR, Financial Aid and Institutional Advancement to Emerson College | emerson.edu define and analyze data needs, gather reports or data requirements, perform data mapping to create BI solutions to solve business issues. This often involves conducting complex root cause analysis to troubleshoot data discrepancies, work with end users to correct business processes, and systematically cleanse inaccurate data sets.
- Identify, collect and maintain data sets to effectively support the publishing and performance of relevant business area metrics and KPIs including Enrollment Management, IR, IA, Academic Affairs, Finance, HR, IT and MTP.
- Effectively work and collaborate with PMO on BI projects, ensure deliverables are completed on time, and objectives are met.
- Manage tables and data views within Oracle database, SQL Server, PostgreSQL and synchronize with data models using appropriate ETL tools. Keep current on the latest technologies, develop proof-of-concept data model prototypes to advance the BI program. Commit to professional development by fostering a climate of team learning, cross-training and knowledge base building.
- Handle complex data issues with minimal supervision, while escalating critical issues to management using sound judgment. Enforce data quality, knowledge retention, and process consistency through the curation and expansion of the institutional data dictionary/catalog.
- Communicate effectively with internal team and external business users through written, verbal and visual storytelling. Develop detailed technical specifications, data mapping and data flow documentations for major data analytics projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS - Qualifications are deemed required or preferred and represent what is needed to effectively perform job.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business or a similar degree, combined work experience and education as equivalent
- 10 years' combined experience as data modeler, business intelligence analyst or advanced report writer
- 6 years' experience in database systems management. Hands on experience in data model/data warehouse design. Solid understanding of dimension/fact table structure and data aggregation.
- 5 years of experience in ETL tools and procedures
- Programming language(s) for ETL and data pipelining
- 3 years of Tableau or other dashboard development experience
- Higher Education experience preferred
- Experience working with Ellucian Banner, Slate, Canvas or Workday preferred
- Experience with HelioCampus preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES - May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills, and abilities commonly associated with the job.
- Demonstrated organization, creativity, and agile problem-solving approach to resolve problems of diverse scope and complexity within deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively.
- Active participation in organization level activities and events related to learning, training, special projects etc.
- Experience ingesting, organizing, and representing data within a data model in formats that are easy to use, understand and meet business objectives.
- Expertise in defining and managing relational data, dimensional data, unstructured data, and master data to effectively translate and communicate data to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Can develop end-to-end solutions from constructing the data set to visualizing information in a tool like Tableau or Argos reports and dashboards.
- Demonstrates best practices to use modern layouts, typography and interaction design.
- Excellent knowledge on data modeling, data extraction and data transformation using SQL, PostgreSql, Oracle or ETL tools.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to deliver messages and ideas effectively for different audiences.
- Experienced with data mapping, business process analysis, criteria and data flow documentation in written or visual format.
- Excellent presentation and storyboarding skills.
- Experience working with data models or data warehouses.
- Capable of working on problems of diverse scope and complexity, is resourceful in developing solutions encompassing challenges to deliver solutions before the deadlines.
- Following standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data to obtain trustworthy results.
- Is a fast learner and able to apply new and emerging technologies to the existing BI product portfolio to achieve meaningful business outcomes through applying complex data analysis, data science and the data modeling techniques, from descriptive and diagnostic analytics to more advanced predictive modeling.
- Ability to keep updated on the latest technologies with technology training and professional development.
- Self-motivated, responsible and detail oriented.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Strong SQL query, PL/SQL and Oracle relational databases skills
- Strong Excel skill and efficient use of visual tools
- Emerson College | emerson.edu
- Ability to optimize performance of data models
- Experience working with data stewards and data governance
- Knowledge of SDLC and project management best practices
- Familiarity with AWS Redshift or Snowflake preferred
- Python or other scripting or data integration technologies preferred
PHYSICAL ABILITIES - Activities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Requires ability to lift and move objects that are light
- Requires ability to move materials occasionally
WORK ENVIRONMENT - Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- Usual Office Conditions
The starting salary for this position will be between $95,848 - $119,809.00 commensurate with experience.
Grade of Position: S-23-12E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
This position will be exclusively represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 888 for purposes of wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
In addition to a competitive salary, Emerson College is committed to the health and well-being of our employees and family members. We offer a generous benefits package to regular staff scheduled to work 20+ hours per week.
Benefits include outstanding health plans with limited out-of-pocket expenses, dental plans, generous time-off programs, and a 403(b) retirement benefit with a 9% employer contribution once eligible. Additional benefits such as life and disability coverage as well as commuter offerings are available.
Please refer to our benefits website for a full list of benefits and eligibility requirements.
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Data-Modeler_JR004941
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: [email protected]
Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson College commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police Department website.
Information on Emerson College staff grade range
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-bf4ba57ee6a5a8429bfa21763fbe713e
Located in Boston, Massachusetts, opposite the historic Boston Common and the Commonwealth's State House, in the heart of the city’s Theatre District and bordering its Chinatown neighborhood, Emerson College educates individuals who will solve problems and change the world through engaged leadership in communication and the arts, a mission informed by liberal learning.
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands.The College has 5,100 undergraduates and graduate students from 58 countries and all 50 states.
For more information, visit www.emerson.edu.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert