Chemical Applicator - Grounds (Multiple Vacancies) Location:
Tallahassee, FL Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
The general mission and goals of the Florida State University Grounds and Landscaping Operations is to consistently maintain a safe, clean, sustainable and attractively landscaped environment for the students, faculty, and staff of our institution.
It is our desire to transform our campus into an arboretum. An arboretum is a place where trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants are grown for scientific and educational purposes. Plants are maintained, labeled, cataloged and mapped. Each arboretum is unique, due to the characteristics of the setting, the collections, and the research and educational goals.
The mission of the Florida State University Arboretum is to preserve the stately historic campus landscape, to build upon the diversity of the collection with sustainable species, and to reinforce the aesthetic character of the campus. It seeks to provide visitors with a broader understanding of the campus landscape and promote long-term stewardship of the environment. We are subdivided into five general areas of responsibility:
- Athletic Fields Maintenance
- Grounds Maintenance
- Landscaping & Nursery
- Outdoor & Mall Amenities
- Solid Waste & Recycling
This position is responsible for applying chemicals to plants, trees, and turf to enhance plant growth and control weeds and pests. Additional responsibilities include:
- Sets up and operates hand and power spray equipment to spray, dust, and/or spread various chemicals and other designated materials including pesticides, herbicides, soil sterilants, grass killer, hormones, and fertilizers.
- Maintains records on chemical application activities in compliance with EPA, OSHA, and State and Federal regulations. Acquires and stores pesticide solutions; mixes or dilutes specified chemicals or materials according to directions and applies them at the recommended rate.
- Installs, adjusts, and performs minor repairs on application equipment. Maintains equipment and tools used in chemical application. Florida Limited Lawn & Ornamental License required or ability to obtain within the first 6 months on the job. Operates University vehicles as needed.
- Maintains work area(s), chemical storage area, and equipment in a condition that promotes good safety practices and in compliance with OSHA and FSU's Department of Environmental Health and Safety.
- Assists in training grounds staff in pest and weed control safety and in fertilizer use application. Instructs in correct method of applying sprays, dusts, and other materials.
High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience or a combination of post-high school education and experience equal to two years. Technical or vocational degree in an appropriate trade area may substitute for experience.
- Ability to meet physical requirements as determined by position.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to effectively train and direct the work of others.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to utilize technical skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to identify safety hazards and necessary safety precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of and ability to safely operate machinery, tools, equipment, and materials used in the area of work.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations.
- A valid State or Florida or Georgia driver's license or the ability to obtain prior to hire.
- Florida Limited Lawn & Ornamental License or the ability to obtain within the first 6 months on the job.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
Anticipated Salary Range
The minimum salary for this position is $34,520.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such servicemembers and veterans, receive preference and priority, and certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in employment by the state and its political subdivisions and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. Veterans' Preference applies to University Support Personnel System (USPS) positions only.
IMPORTANT: To claim Veterans' Preference, select “yes” to the question on the application questionnaire and upload a DD-214 (or equivalent), the Veterans' Preference Certification form, and other documentation if applicable with your online application before midnight of the position closing date.
Click the links for eligibility information and required documentation, or call FSU Human Resources at (850) 644-6034.
This is an USPS (University Support Personnel System) position.
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting.
This position is being re-advertised. Previous applicants need not reapply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.