: Math, Science, Technology & HealthLocations:
: Schenectady, NYPosted:
: Jan 31, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part-timePosition ID:
About SUNY Schenectady County Community College:
SUNY Schenectady County Community College (SUNY Schenectady) is one of the State University of New York's finest two-year colleges located in upstate New York's vibrant and growing Capital Region, with easy access to Boston, NYC, the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains, Montreal and scenic Hudson Valley, all of which are just a few hours away. SUNY Schenectady is a premier college that provides quality, comprehensive education for transfer, career, training and workforce development to a diverse population in a student centered environment. The College offers more than 50 transfer and career programs in science, aviation, culinary, music, and liberal arts, and serves more than 5,000 students. SUNY Schenectady County Community College offers an excellent benefit package including health care with dental and vision coverage, a choice of retirement systems, a deferred compensation benefit, an on-site child care program and Montessori School, professional development opportunities, and health club membership. We take pride in being an urban campus with a small town feel.
SUNY Schenectady is dedicated to cultivating an environment that celebrates diversity, prioritizes inclusion, and insists on equitable access. Diversity, equity, and inclusion is central to our vision and mission; we know that to foster a sense of belonging and preserve connectedness, we must create and maintain working and learning spaces that welcome, respect, and appreciate difference. SUNY Schenectady provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law. Applications from minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged.
SUNY Schenectady County Community College is seeking a part-time Chemistry Lab Educational Aide for their Math, Science, Technology, and Health (MSTH) Division. The educational aide is responsible for the setting up of all Chemistry laboratory activities, including set-up and break down of laboratories for all Chemistry classes as well as the preparation of solutions, culture, and media. This individual is also responsible for the general cleanliness and safe conditions of the laboratories and reports to the Dean of MSTH.
- Work with faculty to assure that lab exercises are prepared for lab sessions according to the published schedule/worksheets/syllabi
- Set up and break down of all Chemistry lab classes
- Maintain a clean and safe lab environment
- Catalogue waste materials
- Order materials and equipment
- Maintain inventory of chemicals, materials, and glassware
- Oversight of set up of common laboratory equipment
- Ensure that all equipment are in working order, trouble shoot, repair, or arrange for repair of equipment, and to notify the Dean whenever equipment repair or maintenance is required
- Assist faculty and students in research or instructional activities and programs
- Ensure that laboratories are well-maintained and running smoothly
- Ensure that all safety regulations and hazardous material handling regulations are followed
- Perform inventory checks on a regular basis and keep lab well stocked for smooth operation
- Maintain safety and hazardous material information in the laboratories as required by local, state, and federal regulations
- Associate's Degree in Science-related discipline is required
- Basic computer skills
- Organized and detail oriented
- Must be available to work some evenings and Saturdays
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working within a laboratory setting
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or related field
- Prior experience working with students
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- Offers of employment will be conditional based on the successful completion of a background check
Salary: $14.87, non-negotiable
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for this position:
- Cover letter
- Completed SUNY Schenectady Employment Application
CAMPUS SAFETY REPORT
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the College's crime statistics for the past three years; and the availability regarding the College's current campus security policies. SUNY Schenectady County Community College's Annual Security Report is available here.
SUNY Schenectady is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United Stated and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.