Steamfitter - Pipe Shop (Multiple Vacancies) Location:
Tallahassee, FL Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Facilities Maintenance provides exceptional maintenance, repair and services to the Florida State University community.
Maintenance, repair, and renewal are required to provide the best possible environment to support communities of learning and facilitate the ability of the University to carrying out its mission of education, scholarship and public service.
Facilities Operation and Maintenance are responsible for the following:
- The care, safety, and security of physical assets at Florida State University.
- The condition of buildings and building systems.
- Providing a suitable internal environment.
- Cost effective operation of building systems.
This position is located in the Pipe Shop. The Pipe Shop maintains and repairs the steam and chill water systems here on campus, as well as maintaining the storm water drain systems.
This position is responsible for maintaining steam and chilled water distribution systems. Specifically, this position repairs steam and chilled water distribution systems in a reliable and safe working order. Utilizes measuring instruments to evaluate system operating condition. Coordinates repairs with the maintenance supervisor. Repairs system components including, but not limited to, pumps, regulators, valves, traps, strainers, coils, heat exchangers, autoclaves, sterilizers, cage washers, etc. Additional duties include:
- Completes preventative maintenance (PM) inspections for heat exchangers, valves, steam/condensate piping, pressure reducing stations, and manholes. Completes preventative maintenance (PM) inspections for chilled water system.
- Welds approved mechanical joints for piping systems materials such as steel, cast iron, PVC, copper, and/or other systems utilized on the FSU campus. Must be able to properly use welding tools and a pipe threader.
- Must follow all campus safety procedures such as confined space, manhole safety, trench management, and lock-out tag-out. Must be able to demonstrate the proper use of all safety equipment.
- Must be able to read engineering drawings, specifications, schematics, or operating procedures for mechanical systems. Performs other work as assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor which may include plumbing related duties. Must operate University vehicles as required
High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience or a combination of post high school education and experience equal to two years. Technical or vocational degree in appropriate mechanical trade area may substitute for experience.
- Ability to utilize technical skills.
- Ability to utilize problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Knowledge of and ability to safely operate machinery, tools, equipment and materials used in area of work.
- Knowledge of and ability to identify safety hazards and necessary safety precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of the practices and the ability to perform skilled carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, or other related trades work.
- Driver's License, Class E
PSN 60453 and 60760 will also be filled from this posting.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
Anticipated Salary Range
The minimum salary for this position is $36,250.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such servicemembers and veterans, receive preference and priority, and certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in employment by the state and its political subdivisions and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. Veterans' Preference applies to University Support Personnel System (USPS) positions only.
IMPORTANT: To claim Veterans' Preference, select “yes” to the question on the application questionnaire and upload a DD-214 (or equivalent), the Veterans' Preference Certification form, and other documentation if applicable with your online application before midnight of the position closing date.
Click the links for eligibility information and required documentation, or call FSU Human Resources at (850) 644-6034.
This is an USPS (University Support Personnel System) position.
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
The position incumbent is required to be accessible and available to return to work during off-duty hours. Per FSU policy, Pay Additives, incumbents are eligible to receive on-call pay. Eligibility is limited to USPS employees who shall be informed by the department via memorandum of the on-call assignment, except during an emergency.
This position is being re-advertised. Previous applicants need not reapply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.