Visiting Asst Professor- Theater Design & Tec
- Wells College
- Aurora, NY, US
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities, Fine & Performing Arts
- Position Type
- Assistant Professor
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Wells College invites applicants for a Visiting Assistant Professor position in Theatrical Design and Technology to begin in August 2023. This is a full-time, one-year position with potential for renewal.
We seek a skilled colleague who can transmit their technical expertise through innovative and inclusive approaches to teaching and has a demonstrated commitment to diversity and equity. The ideal candidate will bring a professional record in production management, technical direction, and theatrical design, and can encourage connectivity between current Wells College Theatre students, alums, and professional theatrical artists. A successful candidate will have the ability to teach courses in theatre management, production management, stagecraft, and theatrical design. This person will design and build 2-3 productions a year and assist with the maintenance of a 483-seat proscenium theatre, flexible 99 seat black box, and the production shop. It is expected that this person will effectively supervise and train student workers as emerging designers and stage managers. In this search, Wells College wishes to reinforce its commitment to increase faculty and staff diversity, recognizing that to provide a diverse learning environment is to prepare students for personal and professional success in a multicultural society. We strongly encourage applications from practitioner-teachers who embrace equity, accessibility, anti-racist pedagogies, and inclusion. Candidates from underrepresented groups at Wells, including indigenous, black, TLGBQIA+, and people with disabilities, are especially encouraged to apply.
Wells College is a nationally recognized, small, private four-year Liberal Arts college located in the Finger Lakes region of New York on the unceded lands of the Cayuga Nation. The mission of Wells College is to educate students to think critically, reason wisely, and act humanely as they cultivate meaningful lives. Wells College is the leader in providing immersive academic experiences tailored by each student. Our historic campus in a lakeside setting that is ideally conducive to deep learning is home to over 150 years of evolving, inclusive traditions that bind Wellsians across generations. Recognizing the role of higher education in supporting students from all backgrounds to lead in the future, Wells College actively seeks to diversify its faculty and staff. We strive to embody a culture of belonging that empowers all of our students -- 35% of whom identify as students of color and 32% who are first-generation -- to thrive.
- MFA or terminal degree in related field
- Significant professional credits as technical director and/or designer at the regional level
- Expertise in production management
- Expertise in technical direction and theatrical design (scenic design, lights, and/or sound)
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and/or VectorWorks.
- Teaching experience at the college level
- Interest in interdisciplinarity
- Familiarity with stage management, theatre management, and theatre administration
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and mentorship skills
Essential Job Functions:
- Teach three theatre management and/or design courses per semester
- Design and build 2-3 productions per year
- Co-manage the production shop with Studio Art
- Assist with the creation and management of curriculum, production season, and budgets for Wells College Theatre Department
- Advising and assisting students in academic and professional pursuits; this includes, but is not limited to, senior theses, internships, and professional networking in and out of the classroom.
- Supporting Wells College through participation in admissions events, service on faculty committees, and community engagement and outreach
Pay Range: Commensurate with experience
Application Instructions: Please submit
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the position
- A current CV
- Three samples of professional work (website, images, video, designs, etc.)
- A statement that highlights your contributions to equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Names and contact information for three professional references
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
First Review of Applications will begin February 24, 2023.
Working at Wells College
Wells College is a nationally recognized private coeducational liberal arts college located in Aurora, New York, on the eastern shore of Cayuga Lake. It was established in 1868 by Henry Wells, founder of the Wells Fargo and American Express Companies. The College is known as an exceptional value, pairing top quality academic programs with affordable tuition. With a full-time enrollment of about 550 students, Wells boasts small class sizes, an extensive experiential learning program, cross-enrollment with nearby Cornell University and Ithaca College, and a wide range of off-campus study options.
The rigorous academic environment emphasizes close faculty/student interaction, undergraduate research, off-campus study, internships, and active community service and involvement. Wells offers 17 majors and 39 minors, in addition to individualized programs. Formerly a women’s college, Wells became coeducational in 2005.
The scenic Finger Lakes region of central New York is an area known for its beauty and high concentration of outstanding colleges and universities. The village of Aurora is centrally located and provides easy access to metropolitan, cultural, and educational centers — 25 minutes from Ithaca; 1 hour from Rochester and Syracuse; 2.5 hours from Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Canada; and 5 hours from New York City.
Full-time employees are eligible for a wide range of benefits including health and life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, long-term disability insurance, EAP, course attendance, dependent tuition benefits, 11 paid holidays and vacation, sick and personal time off.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert