Assistant Professor of Political Science (Comparative Politics)
- Sam Houston State University
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities, Foreign Languages & Literature, Social Sciences, Political Science & International Relations
- Position Type
- Tenured & Tenure-Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Assistant Professor of Political Science (Comparative Politics)Requisition:
Assistant ProfessorFLSA status:
Salary commensurate with education and experience.Position Type:
Full-Time Tenure TrackCollege:
College of Humanities and Social SciencesDepartment:
Dept of Political ScienceOpen Date:
Dr. Dennis WengTitle:
Department of Political Science
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
1901 Avenue I
Huntsville, TX 77341-2149
The Department of Political Science at Sam Houston State University (SHSU) invites applications for a nine-month Tenure-Track Assistant Professor position in Comparative Politics starting in fall 2023.The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching three courses per semester and engaging in research/scholarly activities. The successful candidate will also be expected to participate in service activities such as program and curriculum development, face-to-face and online course development, and student recruitment and engagement.We are especially looking for scholars who can offer Latin American and general comparative politics courses and whose research focuses on one or more of the following areas in a comparative perspective: Democratization, Democratic Backsliding, Populism, Authoritarian Politics, Immigration, and Comparative Political Economy, broadly construed. Demonstrated competency in one or more Latin American languages will be considered a plus.Educational Requirements for the Position:
The selected candidate must have a Ph.D. in hand by the start date (August 2023). ABD applicants will be considered but must have a granted Ph.D. upon arrival. (August 2023).Experience Required for the Position:
- Demonstrates evidence of ability and desire to teach and establish research/scholarly projects in Latin American Politics and at least one of the following subject areas: 1) Democratization and Democratic Backsliding; 2) Populism; 3) Authoritarian Politics; 4) Immigration, and 5) Comparative Political Economy.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate the skills and interest in teaching undergraduate and graduate online courses.
Required Application Materials:
- Ph.D. in political science or related discipline by August 2023
- Cover Letter that identifies their interests, qualifications, and experience for the position.
- The current CV includes, if applicable, a summary of previous teaching experience and the format of each course taught (i.e., face-to-face, online, hybrid).
- All graduate transcripts – unofficial transcripts will be accepted during the application process. However, the successful candidate must submit official transcripts documenting all post-secondary degrees.
- If available, recent student teaching evaluations cover the last two semesters of teaching. Those without teaching evaluations will need to upload a placeholder document in lieu of evaluations.
- Teaching statement, including a discussion of online pedagogy. If available, sample syllabi for relevant courses.
- Diversity statement discussing how the applicant would engage Sam Houston State University’s diverse student population and meet the College of Humanities and Social Sciences’ core goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from supervisors who are familiar with the applicant’s teaching abilities and who have worked with the applicant in the past two years.
“The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Sam Houston State University is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the academic community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The college welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community.”Special Instructions Summary:
Please note: References provided in the References section of the application will receive an automated email reference request at the time the application is submitted.
The search committee will start to review applications on February 20,2023. The application process will remain open until the position is filled. Please direct questions to Dr. Dennis Weng ([email protected]).
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
About Sam Houston State University
For more than 140 years, Sam Houston State University has been preparing students for meaningful lives of achievement. Its motto, "The measure of a Life is its Service," resonates among its 22,000 students, eight colleges and well beyond its historical roots through research, creative endeavors, service learning, volunteering and more.
SHSU is an inclusive institution whose mission is to provide high quality education, scholarship, and service to students. With over 90 bachelor degrees, 50 master’s, and 11 doctoral programs—including the nation’s first Ph.D. in forensic science, SHSU provides an exceptional college experience for every student: traditional or non-traditional; first generation; international; or online.
Service to self and others is paramount at SHSU and reflected in all university organizations and programs. In fact, the university was named to USA Today’s Top 50 in the U.S. for “commitment to civic engagement and global awareness,” in addition to being classified a "Community Engaged Campus" by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education. This honor, bestowed to only 311 public institutions nationwide, acknowledges the university's significant commitment to service.
Sam Houston State University has a small town feel with large scale opportunities. Located in the Piney Woods region of East Texas, Huntsville provides area residents with a sense of community and belonging, although just an hour drive north of Houston.
SHSU is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an "at will" employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215. SHSU is committed to promoting a campus culture that embraces diversity and inclusion. The University acknowledges and values our responsibility to cultivate an equitable and inclusive environment where students, faculty, staff, and community recognize the benefits of collaboration and mutual respect through diverse identities and experiences.
Member The Texas State University System
1905 University Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert