: Academic / FacultySubscribe:
: Biology and Biomedical ScienceLocations:
: Newport, RIPosted:
: Jan 20, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timePosition ID:
About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
The Department of Biology and Biomedical Sciences at Salve Regina University invites applications for a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor with a start date of September 1, 2023.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to the Biology department teaching mission (21 contact hours per year, 6 of which can be mentored undergraduate independent research).
- Develop course curricula, lecture and lab materials and presentations.
- Teach Genetics (required course for BA and BS in Biology), with opportunities to develop new courses in an area of expertise that expands the department's offerings
- Demonstrate excellence in teaching, including fostering an inclusive learning environment
- Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning.
- Participate in program-level learning assessment, including assisting in articulating outcomes, choosing and administering measures, evaluating student performance, and suggesting ways to improve program curriculum.
- Work with other members of the department to develop program standards, policies and procedures.
- Assign grades and maintain course records in accordance with FERPA regulations.
- Teach courses as assigned by the Department Chairperson.
- Establish and maintain a successful research program involving undergraduate students in independent semester and summer projects.
- Remain current in academic discipline, including attending professional conferences and/or maintaining certifications and licensure where appropriate.
- Demonstrate a commitment to scholarship (research, grant submissions, publication and participation in one's discipline),
- Participate in University Professional Developmental activities.
University and Department Service
- Participate in the University's annual faculty evaluation process.
- Help students achieve their educational goals through formal and/or informal advising.
- Post and keep on-campus hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, and university members.
- Serve on ad hoc and elected committees, advisory boards, and/or as student organization advisor.
- Attend commencement, convocation, community and recruitment events as necessary for the department and university.
- Attend departmental and university-level meetings
- Other general responsibilities in the areas of teaching, research and scholarship, and service to the University and one's discipline as identified in the Salve Regina Faculty manual.
The Assistant Professor of Biology assumes responsibilities in the areas of teaching, research and scholarship, and service to the University and their discipline. The Department of Biology and Biomedical Sciences seeks a broadly trained individual with expertise in genetics. Experience in the use of bioinformatics would be an asset. As undergraduate research is an integral component of our program, the candidate is expected to engage undergraduate students in independent research and summer research activities.
A Ph.D. in Biology or a related field is required as is successful university/college-level teaching experience. ABD applicants will be considered, but all degree requirements must be completed by August 2023. The university's teaching load is 21 contact hours per year (3/4 course load), of which 6 contact hours can be mentored undergraduate independent research.
We seek a colleague who encourages student learning through innovative pedagogy and mentored research experiences at the undergraduate level, collaborates and communicates effectively, and supports student learning using technologies such as those embedded within the Canvas LMS. Successful candidates should demonstrate a commitment to inclusive teaching that speaks to and motivates undergraduates from diverse backgrounds, emphasizes experiential learning, and integrates the university's Mercy mission. Individuals from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible employees including (waiting periods apply):
- health, dental and vision coverage available on the first of the month following date of hire
- 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA with employee and employer contributions as well as access to advising services
- long-term disability coverage
- employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- up to 100% free tuition at Salve for eligible employees and qualified dependents
- robust wellness program and free access to the on-campus Fitness Center
Other available benefits include:
- supplemental life insurance for employees and dependents
- supplemental insurance coverage through Aflac
- Tuition Exchange scholarship program. Application available for qualified dependents of eligible employees working full-time
- discounted pet insurance through ASPCA
- student loan forgiveness assistance program (SAVI)
- discounted auto and home insurance through Liberty Mutual
- employee Assistance Program through Coastline EAP
- flexible spending health and dependent care accounts
- health savings accounts
- 529 collegebound saver program
For more detailed information on Salve's benefits, visit https://salve.edu/human-resources/benefits.
Applicants must apply online by providing a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy, and research statement. Letters of recommendation will be solicited after an initial screening of candidates. Salve Regina University, as a comprehensive Mercy, Catholic University, welcomes people of all beliefs and encourages students to work for a world that is harmonious, just, and merciful. In your cover letter, please highlight how your teaching, scholarship, leadership, and service might support the University's mission and its commitment to diversity, dialogue, and lifelong learning. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.
The review of completed applications will begin on March 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.