- Foothill-De Anza Community College District
- Los Altos Hills, CA
- Faculty Jobs
- Science & Technology, Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Position Type
- Tenured & Tenure-Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
The mission of the Foothill–De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
De Anza College Mission Statement:De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world. De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college’s Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression Information literacy Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awarenessCritical thinking
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Under the direction of the Dean of Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering, instruct community college engineering courses to a diverse student population. Engineering courses range from introductory to discipline specific such as circuits, materials, and energy. Revise and develop curriculum as it relates to the discipline, including multicultural perspectives and contributions where appropriate. Design, prepare, and teach hands-on laboratory activities. Initiate and participate in the development of grant proposals. Perform and coordinate outreach to local high schools to attract students to engineering.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintain schedule office hours, participation in department and division responsibilities, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, and preforming other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to serve on district and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities. Teaching assignments may include days, evenings, in person, online, or any combination of those.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master’s degree in any field of engineering OR Bachelor’s degree in any field of engineering AND Master’s in mathematics, physics, computer science, chemistry, or geology, OR the equivalent. (NOTE: A Bachelor’s degree in any field of engineering with professional engineer’s license is an alternative qualification for this discipline, pursuant of title 5, section 53410.1.)
- Practice student-centered and equity-minded pedagogies in accordance with established course outlines and use high-impact strategies that serve all students including underserved and disproportionately impacted students (i.e., Latinx, African Ancestry, Filipinx, Veterans, Foster Youth, Disabled Students, First-Generation Students, LGBTQ+, and Low-income students);
- Master’s degree or higher in engineering.
- Ability to clearly express complex ideas in oral and written formats.
- Experience teaching engineering or related college level courses.
- Commitment to and experience in laboratory instruction.
- Teaching pedagogy adaptable to a variety of learning styles including inquiry based, interactive multimedia, internet resources and online assessment tools.
- Experience in developing innovative engineering curricula.
- Prior grant proposal submittal experience
- Ability to work closely and cooperatively with faculty and support staff.
- Ability to mentor adjunct faculty within the discipline.
- Ability to communicate articulately and effectively with individuals differing in age, gender, ethnicity, educational, and economic background.
- Ability to encourage students to engage in their own learning and motivate them to develop critical thinking skills.
- Ability to change systems of teaching delivery to meet differing student needs and able to adapt to change easily.
- Experience with performing outreach to high schools to attract students to engineering and science.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
Applicants will be REQUIRED to submit transcripts for salary placement purposes. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant’s expense.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $53,730.00 - $88,243.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant’s verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.htmlTERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2023Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.For more information about our application process contact: Employment Services Foothill-De Anza Community College District 12345 El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022 Email: [email protected]
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
Working at Foothill-De Anza Community College District
For more than 50 years, Foothill-De Anza has demonstrated excellence and innovation in academic programs and student services. As one of the largest community college districts in the United States, Foothill-De Anza provides credit classes for about 43,000 students per quarter. The colleges are active members of the League for Innovation in the Community College, a national consortium of leading two-year institutions.
The mission of the Foothill – De Anza Community College District is student success. We accomplish this by providing access to a dynamic learning environment that fosters excellence, opportunity and innovation in meeting the diverse educational and career goals of our students and communities.
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, Foothill-De Anza serves the communities of Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Stanford, Sunnyvale, and portions of San Jose.
Foothill College envisions itself as a community of scholars where a diverse population of students, faculty and staff intersect and are engaged in the search for truth and meaning. We recognize that by necessity this search must be informed by a multiplicity of disciplinary modes of inquiry. In order to ensure that every student has the opportunity to share in this vision, Foothill College commits itself to providing students with the necessary student support services, outstanding instruction, and opportunities for leadership both within and outside the classroom. By enacting this vision, the college ensures that it remains the distinctive and innovative institution it has been since its inception.
De Anza College
Two words—"excellence" and "innovation" — have captured the essence of De Anza College for nearly four decades. Although each carries importance, together they're a winning combination that has established De Anza in the forefront of community colleges nationwide. De Anza provides outstanding general education and vocational courses as well as interdisciplinary studies, community service opportunities, on-the-job-training, internships, collaborative programs with businesses and industries, and online and television classes.
Employment with Foothill - De Anza
Foothill - De Anza Community College District is one of the largest community college districts in the U.S. that has distinguished itself as a leader among California Community Colleges.
We currently employ approximately 1,200 full-time employees and 1,900 part-time employees. It is the policy of the District to provide an educational and employment environment which is committed to high quality, equal opportunity and diversity.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert