Assistant / Associate / Professor of Osteopathic Principles and PracticeJob Description:
As part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, Marian University seeks an Assistant / Associate / Professor of Osteopathic Principles and Practice to promote Marian University’s Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by being involved in the design, delivery and assessment of clinical training activities for the medical students in the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine. This faculty member will promote Marian University’s Catholic mission and identity through their work on the promotion, alignment, and integration of osteopathic principles and practice (OPP), osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM), and clinical medicine into COM courses throughout the four-year curriculum. The faculty reports directly to the chair of the OMM department and will work closely and in collaboration with the Assistant Dean of Clinical Affairs, the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, other members of the Dean’s Team and all COM Chairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engages the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity; and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
Provides input and support into the ongoing integration of OPP and OMM into all aspects of clinical courses throughout he curriculum.
- Develops and delivers didactic presentations in clinical courses throughout the curriculum
- Serves as a table trainer in clinical skills courses (CM, OPP, and Colloquium), as appropriate, throughout the four-year curriculum.
- Participates in and recommends curriculum development and evaluation
- Assists in the preparation of course syllabi, objectives, lecture schedules, and testing procedures
- Serves on Committee sand Task forces as assigned
- Facilitates and/or participates in faculty and development activities.
- Assists in the preparation of materials and documentation required for continued accreditation of the school by the COCA.
- Conducts scholarly activity and/or research to support the mission of the COM.
- Provides academic advising and assists students develop their clinical skills, study skills, learning styles, learning resources, remediation, and mentoring efforts for all levels of learners.
- Assists with career counseling to support students in evaluating career options and applying to graduate medical education training programs
- Promotes interprofessional learning for students
- Maintains intellectual integrity and strives for academic excellence in her/his teaching
- Supports the continuum of osteopathic education across four years of undergraduate education
- Assists new and existing graduate medical education (GME) partners in meeting ACGME requirements and/or osteopathic recognition
- Collaborates as an innovator in the development of a teaching clinic to serve as a site of care provided by faculty and learners
- Promotes effective working relationships and a positive learning environment among faculty, staff, and students
- Serves as a role model for physician professionalism and ethical behavior
- Participates in other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess excellent verbal and communication skills and be able to effectively communicate with students, faculty, staff, and hospital partners.
- Must have a history of demonstrated ability to concurrently manage and complete multiple assignments, meet deadlines, and exercise excellent judgment.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills as well as be extremely organized and detail-oriented.
DO degree and OMM experience in the clinical settingPreferred Qualifications:
- Faculty experience teaching OPP at a medical school, accredited GME program, or an affiliate of a medical school
- Broad clinical expertise
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current resume, contact information for three professional references, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.Posting Number:
P100FNumber of Vacancies:
1Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:Advertising Summary:
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic university in Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian is serving more than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences. The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Midwest rankings, being named the #3 Most Innovative Regional University, #5 Best Value University, and #28 Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national champion varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s Basketball Championship, 2019 NAIA Volleyball National Championship, and more than 40 USA Cycling national championships.Quick Link for Internal Postings: