Assistant/Associate Professor for Curriculum & Instruction
- Angelo State University
- San Angelo, TX
- Faculty Jobs
- Education, Curriculum & Instruction, Teacher Education
- Position Type
- Tenured & Tenure-Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Assistant/Associate Professor for Curriculum & InstructionPosition Number:
Curriculum and InstructionSalary:
ASU Department of Curriculum & Instruction seeks a scholar committed to the continued development and implementation of experiential learning and educational theory, practice, and scholarship for a tenure-track position. This will be an 11-month appointment.Candidates at the assistant professor level must have an earned doctorate at the time of hire. Candidates at the associate professor level must have an established record of research, teaching, and service to meet the University’s requirements for tenure and appointment at the respective rank.Typical Duties/Job Duties:
- Responsibilities will include teaching graduate courses online and using technology strategies for distance delivery in the school counseling program, developing relevant coursework, scoring student work, and engaging in scholarly activities.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to work effectively with students and colleagues.
- Faculty participate in faculty governance, serve on department, college, and university committees, and assist with student recruitment.
● Teaching and school counseling experience in public schools;● Experience with and/or a commitment to working with culturally diverse and/or at-risk student populations;● Experience with online course development and teaching;● Excellent written and oral communication skills;● Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills;● Knowledge of classroom pedagogy best practices;● Strong understanding and effective teaching of the essential components of counseling instruction;● Curriculum design and articulation;● Technology proficiency;● An understanding of state requirements for Texas Counselor Certification;● Thorough knowledge of the Texas Model for Comprehensive School Counseling Programs (5th ed.) and the Texas Evaluation Model for School Counselors (3rd ed.);● Professional identity as a counselor educator and school counselor;● Experience building collaborations with local communities and strengthening school counseling programs.Minimum Qualifications:
- Successful candidates will have an earned doctoral degree in Counselor of Education, School Counseling, or a similar field;
- Minimum of 3-5 years of practical experience as a K-12 school counselor;
- Current and valid certification as a professional school counselor in Texas from an accredited institution of higher education;
- ABD Considered;
- Knowledge of school counseling certification in Texas.
● Earned doctorate in counselor education from a CACREP-accredited program;● Professional experience and research expertise in school counseling and supervision in public school settings;● Experience with organizing and monitoring field experience;● Licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) with Supervisor designation in the state of Texas;● Prior higher education teaching experience;● Experience utilizing Blackboard LMS for online teaching.EEO Statement:
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].Posting Number:
08/16/2022Desired Start Date:
01/02/2023Review Start Date:
09/05/2022Open Until Filled:
Working at Angelo State University
Located in the heart of Texas, Angelo State University is a dynamic institution of higher education, and the second largest campus in the Texas Tech University System. A regional comprehensive institution granting master's level degrees and one doctorate, Angelo State University has been recognized by The Princeton Review as one of the nation's "Best Colleges" since 2010 and by the Chronicle of Higher Education in 2017 as one of the "Great Colleges to Work For." Serving more than 10,000 students, ASU offers more than 100 majors and concentrations through our six colleges.
As more than half of ASU's graduates annually are first generation college students, they bring the motivation and work ethic that complement the commitment of ASU's faculty to teaching and scholarship. ASU's community of professionals is dedicated to preparing students to strive for success in their lives, in the growth of their communities, whether local or global, and in the pursuit of the common good of society.
ASU's 19:1 student-faculty ratio provides for personalized learning and results in accomplished graduates. The success of ASU alumni in graduate and professional school is superb and best exemplified by the average acceptance rate of more than 50 percent for medical school, compared to the statewide average of 35 percent.
Angelo State is an NCAA Division II and Lone Star Conference member with highly competitive men's and women's teams in 13 sports. The ASU women's track and field team won the 2010 NCAA Division II National Championship, the fourth national title in school history.
San Angelo is at the center of a thriving community of 100,000 people in west central Texas. San Angelo straddles the boundary between the Texas Hill Country and West Texas and offers the amenities of both, including rivers and lakes and boundless skies with dramatic sunsets. Situated on the banks of the Concho, San Angelo today is an artists' haven that supports public art common and the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts. The city boasts a symphony orchestra whose annual Independence Day Concert, celebrated a day early on July 3, attracts as many as 35,000 visitors to the outdoor stage downtown on the Concho River.
The city has commuter air service from American Airlines and is within comfortable driving distance of Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio and Lubbock. San Angelo offers the amenities of big city living with the slower pace, affordable cost of living and friendliness of a small town. With a host of shopping, restaurants, arts, culture, movies, outdoor recreation and family-oriented events, San Angelo has something for all tastes and interests.
The institution was founded in 1928 as a community college. By an act of the 58th Session of the Texas Legislature, the institution was designated as Angelo State College in 1965, the year it became a four-year, state-supported institution. The name was changed to Angelo State University in 1969. On Sept. 1, 2007, Angelo State University became a member of the Texas Tech University System.
ASU has a proud history of diversity, accepting Hispanics, who today make up more than 25 percent of the student population, from the very beginning. The institution enrolled African-Americans prior to Brown vs. Board of Education and one student broke the color barrier in Texas Intercollegiate football in 1953.
Angelo State offers courses through six colleges: Arts and Humanities; Business; Education; Health and Human Services; Science & Engineering; and Graduate Studies. The university is recognized for its strong undergraduate programs overall. For example, ASU's Physics Department has been recognized as one of the top undergraduate programs in the country. The university supports a young and vibrant Honors Program and continues a long tradition, begun in 1948, of encouraging international studies.
The university is also known for incorporating research into many undergraduate offerings. One recent bachelor's degree recipient, for instance, received the McClung Award for the Best Paper published in the BIOS, the official publication of Beta Beta Beta Biology Honor Society. Another was one of eight graduate students nationally to earn a U.S. Department of Energy Advanced Fuel Cycle Initiative Fellowship to support his graduate research.
Angelo State University's campus is situated on 268 acres in the center of San Angelo. The campus is lined with native live oak and pecan trees as well as imported palm trees. In addition to being one of the prettiest campuses in the region, it is one of the safest in Texas. The campus has ultramodern facilities with state-of-the-art technology support. ASU is home to the State of Texas Data Center, one of the state's two such facilities, which provide sophisticated computer processing and disaster recovery services for agencies and universities. Additionally, the university operates a 6,000-acre farm with a Management, Instruction and Research Center that includes a state-of-the-art meat laboratory.
Working at Angelo State University
Community is a term often used to describe Angelo State University. This applies to the work culture where core values such as a strong work ethic, communication, caring, loyalty, teamwork and integrity permeate the organization of approximately 1,800 employees. While traditions exist at ASU, so does vision, vision to improve programs and to adapt to society's needs.
Angelo State University offers comprehensive benefits, retirement and work life programs designed to meet the needs of employees and their families. Employee amenities include fitness and dining facilities, tuition fee reimbursement for staff, dependent scholarships, and free Internet access service.
Angelo State University offers job opportunities in teaching, information technology, athletics, student programs, and administrative support, to name a few. The university's employee community is dedicated to preparing and supporting students to discover the potential in their lives and their communities. ASU invites interested individuals to search for job opportunities at http://www.angelo.edu.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to build a diverse workforce community.
2601 W. Avenue N
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert