- Georgia Southern University
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Safety & Security
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Job ID: 253786
Location: Statesboro, Georgia;Georgia Southern - Savannah
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
Statesboro Campus - Statesboro GA or Armstrong Campus, Savannah GA
Office of Public Safety
Actively patrol campus and enforce Georgia Law and University policies, procedures to support and promote a safe campus.
This position has been identified by Federal Law (Jeanne Clery Act) as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), with significant student and campus responsibilities. CSA's are obligated to report crimes reported to them which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University.
- Patrol campus acting as a deterrent to criminal activity
- Respond to calls for service and assist as needed
- Investigate accidents, crimes and other complaints
- Issue parking citations
- Arrest, process, and transport, suspects accused of violating Georgia law
- Appear and testify in campus judicial and Court hearings
- Perform security checks on campus buildings, parking lots, and residence halls to ensure all buildings are safe and secure
- Complete reports and maintain departmental records
- Appear in court as needed
- Direct traffic and assist stranded motorists by providing unlocks and/or jumpstarts
- Assist other area law enforcement agencies as needed and requested
- Work special events including sporting events, social events, parades, and large gatherings
- Follow departmental safety and risk management policies in performance of work
- Maintain, repair and clean tools, equipment and work areas
- High school diploma or equivalent
Other Required Qualifications
- Ability to obtain P.O.S.T. certification in Georgia as a basic law enforcement officer
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Georgia P.O.S.T (Peace Officer Standards and Training) Certified as a basic law enforcement (police) Peace Officer or ability to obtain certification in six months after employment
- Related work experience
$17.30 - $18.41 per hour
This is a non-exempt position paid on a bi-weekly basis.
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover Letter
- Two (2) Professional References
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Ability to work well in a diverse and inclusive environment through commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Ability to solve problems and think creatively to manage tense situations courteously and tactfully
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of work
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and determine proper course of action
- Ability to proficiently use police equipment including vehicle, weapon, baton, and Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) spray
- Georgia P.O.S.T (Peace Officer Standards and Training) Certified as a basic law enforcement (police) Peace Officer
- Conduct research via internet and access data in police records management system, Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) database
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Knowledgeable about Georgia Law and office policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Georgia Crime Information Center, National Crime Information Center facilities and services
- Knowledge and/or experience with State Certification process and procedures
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
- Proficiency in developing spreadsheets for reports
Apply Before Date
Open Until Filled
Application review may begin on January 25, 2023.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at [email protected].
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or [email protected].
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Legally authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the University.
Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
Legal authorization to work in US prior to employment.
Proof of a valid Georgia driver's license with a suitable DMV record.
Must be able to successfully pass Departmental background check including:
- Driver's history
- Criminal history
- Georgia P.O.S.T.
- Drug screening
- Psychological exam
- Physical Agility test
- Computer Voice Stress Test
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- May be required to maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation
- Work performed in indoor and outdoor environment
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours
- Evening and weekend work may be required
- Required to walk, stand, and/or sit for extended period depending on assignment
- May be required to subdue, restrain, and arrest combative suspects
- Work schedule is shift work based on needs of University and may include days, nights, weekends, holidays, and include special events
- Subject to be called back to work as situations warrant, sometimes working extended hours
- Required to work in all types of weather
- Yes, this position will be required to drive.
- This role is considered a position of trust.
- Position of Trust
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=253786&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert