Associate Dean of Research
- NMSU, College of Health, Education, & Social Transformation
- Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Executive Administration Jobs
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Institutional Research & Planning
- Position Type
- Tenured & Tenure-Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Position Job Title: HEST Associate Dean of Research
Rank: Associate Professor, Professor
Tenure Status: Tenure Track
The College of Health, Education, and Social Transformation (HEST) is part of New Mexico State University (NMSU), a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Minority Serving Institution situated in the US-Mexico border region. Proudly, NMSU is New Mexico’s land-grant and space-grant institution. Embracing those NMSU’s distinctions, HEST values transformative interdisciplinary research to promote Equity, Inclusion and Diversity (EID) in health, education, and society. The HEST Associate Dean of Research is committed to maintaining NMSU’s Carnegie Community Engagement Classification, achieving R1 Carnegie Research Classification, and strengthening the impactful, transformative culture of research at HEST.
1) Support research agendas of faculty, professional staff, departments/schools, and the college;
2) Develop grant proposals and secure grant funding;
3) Build research collaborations;
4) Coordinate research and outreach initiatives and partnerships across departments/schools, colleges, and external institutions/organizations;
5) Provide leadership for intra- and extramural activities involving federal and state agencies, non-governmental entities and community groups
The current academic units include:
· Department of Communication Disorders
· Department of Counseling & Educational Psychology
· Department of Kinesiology
· Department of Public Health Sciences
· Department of Sociology
· School of Nursing
· School of Social Work
· School of Teacher Preparation, Administration & Leadership (TPAL)
Proposals for additional departments to join HEST are underway (e.g., Borderlands & Ethnic Studies).
HEST embraces the scholarship of engagement as a key framework not only to advance discovery of new knowledge through empirical research, but also to elevate the scholarship of integration and application, as well as the scholarship of teaching.
This position reports directly to the Dean and provides leadership for the new interdisciplinary and cross-sectorial HEST research enterprise. The College of HEST was formed by combining the previous College of Education and College of Health and Social Services, as well as the Department of Sociology from the College of Arts and Sciences.
Classification Standard Duties
- Implement and lead the HEST research agenda.
- Elevate the research profile in the College of HEST and lead new initiatives (Goal 2, LEADS 2025)
- Monitor HEST research productivity
- Supervise and evaluate assigned personnel
- Serve as liaison between HEST and the NMSU Office of the Vice President of Research
Ph.D. in relevant discipline.
- Knowledge and understanding of principles, procedures, regulations and standards applicable to the job.
- Understanding of the University’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Strong team leadership and communication skills;
- Decision-making, problem-solving, and conflict management skills;
- Skills to be innovative and have creative ideas for success in New Mexico’s HSI land grant university
- Ability to advocate for HEST research and outreach activities;
- Ability to organize and direct activities
- Ability to use independent judgment and initiative
- Experience with mixed methods research
- Experience in monitoring grant budgets including the use and distribution of IDC to support research growth within the college;
- Experience in developing mentoring programs for faculty and students;
- Experience working with underrepresented minority groups and a commitment to student success, preferably at an HSI or MSI-serving institution
Special Requirements of the Position
- Ten years of professional experience directly related to the duties as outlined in the Classification Summary;
- Leadership experience commensurate with a senior Associate Professor or Full Professor in an interdisciplinary field that bridges College of HEST disciplines;
- Strong quantitative research design experience;
- Experience managing large research programs such as centers and complex research grants;
- Robust record of federal research grant funding;
- Strong research collaborations as demonstrated in publications, presentations, and grants (e.g., Multiple PI awards)
- A history of promoting equity, inclusion and diversity in publications, presentations, and grants;
- Experience evaluating research proposals;
1. A cover letter that addresses the applicant’s experience with the primary responsibilities of this position, the required and preferred qualifications, and required skills, including a statement of commitment to Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
2. A Curriculum Vitae
3. Three references and their contact information
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert