Office Support, TRIO Educational Opportunities Center
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Grand Rapids
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Clerical & Administrative Support
- Employment Type
- Part Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Office Support, TRIO Educational Opportunities Center
Date: January 10, 2023
Position Title: Office Support, TRIO Educational Opportunities Center
Department: Student Success
Job ID: 1464
Work Hours/Schedule: 20 hours/ 52 weeks, *Flexible - ability to accommodate a flexible work schedule, including
evenings and weekends as needed. (Grant funded through 08/31/2026)
Compensation: APSS, Level A, Step 1 - $18.69/hour
Reports to: TRIO Educational Opportunities Center Project Director
Posting Close Date: Open until filled
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
- Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
- A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
- Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
- Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
- Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
- Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
- Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
Grand Rapids Community College's Educational Opportunities Center (EOC) offers academic and personal counseling,
tutoring and mentoring, career and financial aid/literacy workshops, and assistance with completing college applications
and admissions processes. The EOC supports a wide range of adult learners with a focus on those who are unemployed
or underemployed, as well as prospective first-generation college students and those who are from low-income
backgrounds. The EOC will serve individuals in a 13-county region encompassing both urban and rural areas in Allegan,
Barry, Ionia, Kent, Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, Osceola, and Ottawa counties.
Programs and activities are specifically designed for learners with limited English proficiency, those with disabilities,
those facing housing insecurity, students aging out of foster care, and members of groups traditionally
underrepresented in higher education. The Educational Opportunities Center is funded for up to five years through a
federal U.S. Department of Education TRIO Educational Opportunities Center grant.
This position is responsible for performing all duties required for the efficient operation of the Educational Opportunities
Center and its related programming and processes. This includes providing secretarial and administrative support to the
EOC Project Director and other team members. Other key duties include, but are not limited to, ensuring EOC
participants receive a consistently excellent customer service experience and timely responses to all inquiries; the
scheduling, planning, and coordination of all on- and off-campus meeting and events; coordinating the development of
print media and other promotional materials and communications; maintaining accurate EOC records and files;
monitoring and reconciling EOC budgets monthly; and compiling data and reports for internal and federal grant
compliance purposes. Additionally, the Support Professional will support the EOC's efforts to expand secondary school
diploma attainment, financial aid applicants, and postsecondary college admissions and enrollment rates for area
residents of West Michigan.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform all duties required for the efficient operation of the Educational Opportunities Center and its related
programming and processes.
- Provide high-level secretarial support to the Educational Opportunities Center Project Director, Success Coaches,
and Peer Tutor.
- Responsible for internal and external customer service responsibilities. These include, but are not limited to,
staffing the front desk, welcoming program participants and other visitors to the Educational Opportunities
Center, generating communications, and responding to inquiries via phone, email, text, and mail.
- Sort, prioritize, and distribute incoming mail and other communications to appropriate EOC team members
in a timely manner.
- Maintain and update the Educational Opportunities Center web pages.
- Order and track supply, publication, and promotional materials inventory.
- Coordinate EOC team member calendars and schedules to ensure office efficiency, support off-campus
engagement needs, and promote excellent customer service and support.
- Coordinate, schedule, and assist with planning of all on- and off-campus prospective student events, seminars,
and workshops. Duties include, but are not limited to, arranging room and equipment use, coordinating staff
schedules, creating agendas, preparing and packing presentation materials, maintaining reservation lists,
creating menus in collaboration with food services, and retaining guest speakers and entertainment.
- Coordinate campus visits and field trips with various institutions. Schedule, create and maintain reservation
forms, send confirmations, post tour dates to web pages.
- Arrange and schedule all internal and external meetings for EOC team members. This includes weekly EOC staff
meetings. Reserve meeting rooms, arrange for equipment needs and refreshments, prepare meeting agendas,
presentation slides, and other materials as requested. Take effective meeting notes, accurately transcribe,
distribute, and file accordingly.
- Maintain general and confidential office files in compliance with the college's data security requirements.
- Assist the EOC Project Director with the development and implementation of a variety of projects, initiatives,
and communication campaigns. Submit and coordinate print media requests, proofread, provide consolidated
feedback and information on desired revisions to the Communications Department.
- Monitor and reconcile office/project financial transactions monthly via the creation of financial spreadsheets.
- Balance budget line totals using query reports.
- Compile budget, participant, and other data from a variety of sources (PeopleSoft, Data Warehouse, CRM, the
project database system, etc.) to create accurate summary reports as requested by the EOC Project Director or
- Associate Dean of Enrollment Management and Financial Aid.
- Support the grant budget development process timelines and prepare budget documents for submission in both
spreadsheet and narrative formats. Provide analysis of expenses, monitor allocated dollars and process
- Maintain accurate records and files in compliance with federal privacy laws and grant administration requirements.
- Act as the contact person for Payroll issues and information. Ensure that certified Time and Effort Certification
forms are submitted to the Grant Accounting Specialist on a bi-weekly basis.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers
and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Other duties as assigned to further the mission of the Educational Opportunities Center and to fulfill EOC goals
and performance objectives.
Marginal Job Functions
- Develop contacts within a variety of college departments, as well as with external community organizations and
- Attend professional development workshops and webinars to stay abreast of current trends and best practices
related to customer service, office administration, and Educational Opportunities Centers.
- Associate's degree or comparable combination of relevant education and experience.
- Bilingual, English-Spanish preferred.
- A minimum of three years of secretarial or administrative assisting experience prefered.
- Prior experience working in higher educational settings, preferably in student support services, or comparable
relevant experience preferred.
- Experience in an educational setting that serves a diverse student body is preferred.
- Preference will be given to a candidate who has succeeded in overcoming barriers similar to the target
population of TRIO EOC.
- The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based selection process:
- Information Skills
- Getting Information
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
- Interacting With Computers
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
- Documenting/Recording Information
- Processing Information
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
- Performing Administrative Activities
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization
- Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others
- Demonstrated knowledge and extensive software application experience, specifically Microsoft Office Suite, G
Suite, Blackboard, Navigate, financial aid-related web systems, databases, student information systems
(preferably PeopleSoft Campus Wide Information System), scheduling tools, CRM systems, and texting
- Knowledge of data reporting systems, experience with data tracking, and preparing reports preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to organize work, handle multiple tasks, and meet timelines.
- Must enjoy working with the public and possess excellent customer service skills and knowledge of related best
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Finalists must possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detailed work. A skills assessment may
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must demonstrate initiative, attention to detail, and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be personable and energetic with a strong student service focus.
- Must provide exceptional and compassionate student service while effectively managing student issues and
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse student, staff, faculty and business partner population.
- Must be able to effectively share complex information with students.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and possess an understanding of FERPA laws and requirements.
- Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
- Mostly office environments or participation in events at local businesses and community organizations. Some
activities may be held outdoors. Some travel required.
- Must be punctual with a good attendance record and have the ability to accommodate a flexible work schedule,
including evenings and weekends as needed.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will remain open until filled. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.grcc.edu/psp/job/EXTERNAL_APPLICANT/GRCC_HR/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=1464&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Working at Grand Rapids Community College
Grand Rapids Junior College (GRJC) was founded in 1914 by the Grand Rapids Board of Education after a resolution was passed by the University of Michigan’s faculty which encouraged the establishment of junior colleges in Michigan.
Today, GRCC’s eight-block downtown campus, encompassing more than 25 acres in downtown Grand Rapids, includes several classroom buildings, a learning center (including the Diversity Learning Center) and library, Spectrum Theater, the Applied Technology Center (which features a green roof), a remodeled music building, a fieldhouse with natatorium, a student center, Bostwick Commons, and the Calkins Science Center.
The college also offers instruction from a variety of regional centers in the metropolitan Grand Rapids area (including numerous local high schools, regional centers and its two Learning Corners on Wealthy St. and Seward Ave.) and on the West Michigan lakeshore (including West Ottawa High School, Careerline Tech Center, the Midtown Holland Center and Grand Valley State University's Meijer Campus in Holland).
In addition, GRCC has two Michigan Technical Education Centers (M-TECs in West Michigan. The Patrick Thompson M-TEC, part of GRCC's Lakeshore Campus, located in Holland, opened in Fall 2000 in partnership with the Ottawa Area Intermediate School District. The Leslie E. Tassell M-TEC ® in Grand Rapids opened in 2002. This world-class facility offers training in manufacturing, auto service, and building and construction trades.
To increase capacity to meet unprecedented demand, GRCC acquired the former campus of Davenport University on Fulton St. in downtown Grand Rapids and began offering courses at Sneden Hall beginning in the Fall 2009 semester.
In Winter 2010, more than 17,000 students enrolled in more than 1,900 liberal arts and occupational courses. The diverse student body represents students from Kent and surrounding counties as well as students from across the U.S. and 22 other nations. Another 10,000 learners are served by non-credit instructional opportunities. In addition to traditional classroom environments, students may also receive instruction through community and distant service-learning offerings, seminars, workshops, training classes, distance learning options and other educational formats. GRCC employs a faculty of more than 260 full-time and 590 part-time members as well as a staff of 430, all of whom are focused on the College’s priorities to be student-centered, collaborative, and flexible. Throughout its 90-year history of academic excellence, GRCC has maintained a solid reputation as a premier transfer institution and is nationally recognized for both its liberal arts and occupational programs. Many GRCC faculty members have been recognized regionally and nationally for their expertise and innovative teaching styles.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert