Extension Agent I - III 4-H Youth Development
- University of Florida
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Community & Government Relations
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Extension Agent I - III 4-H Youth Development
Job No: 525240
Location: St. Lucie
Department: 60355056 - AG-ST LUCIE
Ext Agent I - III
You Belong at a University that's Leading the Way
The University of Florida (UF), the flagship university for the state of Florida, is a land grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach.
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across various dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity, and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF.
This full-time permanent status accruing 4-H Youth Development Extension Agent will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and St. Lucie County. The successful candidate will lead the design, implementation, and evaluation of positive youth development programs for youth and adult volunteers. The Agent's extension education program will be guided by an advisory committee that incorporates the needs of the county's diverse population.
The candidate will be able to:
- Maintain an effective and diverse advisory committee to assist with extension program design, direction, and operation.
- Develop, conduct, coordinate, evaluate, and report on educational programs for youth ages 5 to 18 and volunteers.
- Develop, train, sustain and recognize an effective volunteer base.
- Develop a volunteer management strategy to ensure program policies, enrollment, record keeping, risk management, and experiential learning procedures are updated and accurate.
- Target programs for youth and adult audiences to reflect the area's population diversity and unique educational needs using a variety of program marketing and delivery methods, including in-person, site visit consultations, and deliberately focused virtual platforms such as webinars, videos, and social media.
- Develop community partnerships and work as a team with local volunteers, organizations, agencies, and UF/IFAS colleagues to promote positive youth development.
- Manage and oversee St. Lucie County's 15+-acre 4-H Farm, including recruitment, scheduling, and supervision of volunteers, plus care of the facility, farm animals, and teaching gardens.
- Obtain financial resources to support programs and manage all components (e.g., policies, records, risk, communication, and accountability).
- Produce creative, scholarly works and audience-friendly publications.
UF/IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. UF/IFAS Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We employ 375 Extension Agents, and we have an office in each of Florida's 67 counties. We attribute our success to a workforce that embraces the contributions of people of all backgrounds and ability levels. The Extension Agent will contribute to a community that provides space for innovation, creativity, collaboration, growth, and development for all.
St. Lucie County has a population of approximately 350,000. St. Lucie County is located on Florida's east coast, providing easy access to the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian River Lagoon. St. Lucie County, incorporated in 1905, today consists of two cities: Port St. Lucie and Fort Pierce, along with St. Lucie Village. St. Lucie County Extension is part of the Southeast Extension District made up of twelve counties and the Seminole Tribe.
Employment is contingent on the results of a physical examination, a substance screening, and a national background screening.
In the event of an emergency, all employees considered essential personnel and may be required to perform alternate duties at the county or district level.
Candidates must have the ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver's license, be able to work flexible hours, and the willingness to occasionally work long and irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
Commensurate with Education and Experience
- A bachelor's degree in youth development, agricultural science, education, community development/sociology, or a related field. We will accept applicants without a bachelor's degree if the degree will be earned by May 2023.
- Self-starting, energetic, and team oriented.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovativeness.
- Good organizational development and management skills.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships and work in teams.
- Ability to use information technology and apply social media to extension work.
- A commitment to positive and proactive customer service.
- Expertise in managing competing priorities and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- A master's degree. If hired solely with a bachelor's degree, we want you to continue to grow in your career. As such, we expect you to make at least 50% progress toward obtaining your master's degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Knowledge and experience managing livestock.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together for a higher goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations is a plus for this role.
- Experience creating lesson plans, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for a diverse audience.
- A strong commitment to the community.
- Experience in supervising, mentoring, and evaluating staff.
- Evidence of collaborations, partnerships, and marketing with community agencies and groups.
- Experience working in multicultural settings; bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus.
- Experience with program management and communication using information technology, including social media.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply at Careers at UF by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position's closing date. They may be submitted to:
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Record laws.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
Health Assessment Required:
Special Instructions to Applicants
Health Assessment Required: $Health
Applications Close: $Closes
To apply, visit https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/525240/extension-agent-i-iii-4h-youth-development
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-21389b541cd01c41b3b00875e320dd40
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert