Assistant Professor - Kinesiology
- Texas A&M University Commerce
- Commerce, TX
- Faculty Jobs
- Education, Teacher Education, Health & Medical, Exercise Science & Kinesiology
- Position Type
- Tenured & Tenure-Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process the “My Experience” page has a section provided “Attachments (Resume/CV, References, Cover letter, etc.)” to upload required documents.
- Use the Upload button to add each document.
- You will be able to upload up to 5 documents. Be aware that the maximum size allowed for any one document is 5MB.
- All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered.
- Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
- Please do not withdraw your application in an attempt to upload a missing document, instead please email HR for help.
Please provide the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required upon acceptance of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
If you need assistance, please contact us at HR.Hiring@tamuc.edu
The Department of Health & Human Performance at Texas A&M University-Commerce seeks a full-time Assistant Professor to teach primarily within the undergraduate Kinesiology and Sports Studies program (Human Performance and Physical Education Teacher Education). This is a tenure-track position with the expectation of teaching the equivalent of 12 student credit hours per semester (fall and spring), pursuing research and scholarly activity, and performing service at the university and professional level.
This is a 9-month position. Summer employment may be available depending on student needs and faculty availability.
Texas A&M University-Commerce is committed to the promotion of diversity and knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. The candidates should have an understanding and knowledge of multicultural and diversity issues, and their potential applications to pedagogy, programming, and service activity.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (15 or less):
- Teach twelve semester credit hours per semester within the required discipline. Instruction may be delivered on-campus, off-campus, or online and may be during the day and/or evening as dictated by student demand and departmental needs.
- Develop and manage the class syllabus and ensure that the syllabus meets department and college standards.
- Plan and create lectures, in-class discussions, and assignments.
- Assess grades for students based on participation, performance in class, assignments, and examinations.
- Assist/mentor students as needed.
- Advise KSS students.
- Chair theses committees for graduate students and undergraduate students.
- Engage in service within the profession and serve on departmental, college, university, and professional committees.
- Engage in scholarly research and seek outside funding for research.
- Other duties as assigned.
POSSIBLE COURSE OFFERINGS:
- Introduction to Physical Education Teaching
- Foundations of Kinesiology
- Lifetime Sports and Activities
- Fundamental Rhythms and Dance
- Concepts of Physical Fitness
- Field-Based Teaching and Instructional Strategies
- Integrated Adventure Education
- Teaching Methods I and II (Elementary and Secondary PE Methods)
- Adapted Physical Education
- Health and Kinesiology for Children
- Sport Psychology
- Other courses as needed
- Education: Conferred Ph. D. in Kinesiology or a related field. At least 18 graduate hours in the field is required to teach undergraduate courses. A terminal degree in the field of study or closely related is required to teach graduate courses.
- Current Texas licensure as a Physical Education teacher.
- Five years (within the last 15 years) of teaching K-12 PE in Texas.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple responsibilities and work cooperatively with others.
- College or university teaching experience.
- Online or hybrid teaching experience.
- Evidence of teaching excellence.
- Experience teaching physical education to students and/or adults with disabilities.
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
- Experience supervising student teachers/interns.
- CAPE certification (Adapted Physical Education)
- Prior relevant industry experience.
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations.
- Secondary teaching expertise in other Health and Human Performance areas (e.g. pedagogy, programming, health).
- Experience teaching dance, creative movement, and adventure education.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
The applicant may be responsible for the supervision of Graduate Assistants.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
We are Commerce. We are Lions!
Welcome! We are excited that you want to forge your future with a career at Texas A&M University-Commerce. Our main campus is located in Commerce, Texas, at the eastern edge of North Texas with multiple instructional sites as well as a robust online presence. We are proud to be one of the largest universities in the prestigious Texas A&M University System.
Since 1889 A&M-Commerce has educated the people of Texas and, ever increasingly, points beyond. We remain true to our founder William Leonidas Mayo’s creed of “ceaseless industry, fearless investigation, unfettered thought, and unselfish service to others.”
Texas A&M University-Commerce is committed to and promotes equal opportunity for all. This commitment includes equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, and program accessibility. It is also committed to make its workplaces, campuses, and programs accessible to all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Furthermore, we encourage and foster a workplace community where individuals are valued for their diverse backgrounds.
Texas A&M University-Commerce is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to Diversity.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (903) 468-8741 or [email protected].
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert