Academic Advisor – TRIO/SSS
- Moraine Park Technical College
- Fond du Lac, WI
- Administrative Jobs
- Student Affairs, Academic Advising
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
Applications are being accepted for a full-time Academic Advisor - TRIO/SSS at Moraine Park Technical College, Fond du Lac Campus. This position is responsible for recruiting and advising eligible TRIO/Student Support Services (SSS) program students while providing required program services and referrals to appropriate support resources to ensure student motivation, academic success, retention, and graduation in accordance with applicable federal regulations governing TRIO/SSS Programs. Although the base location of this position is on our Fond du Lac Campus, there will be weekly travel to our West Bend and Beaver Dam Campuses.
This position is funded by the Department of Education TRIO/SSS grant through August 2025 with the option of renewal.
This position will be posted until filled; however, initial review of applicants will take place January 24, 2023.
Summary of Work Schedule-Academic: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Total Hours/Week-Academic: 37.5
Summary of Work Schedule-Summer: Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Total Hours/Week-Summer: 34
Weeks per year: 52
Hiring range: $24.10 - $28.36
- Provide TRIO SSS program students with services required by the federal TRIO SSS grant, either directly or by referral.
- Guide students in career choice, programs of study and program qualifications, scheduling, registration, withdrawal, course content, recommended credit load, advanced standing process, transfer opportunities, financial resources and graduation requirements. Assist new and returning matriculated students in developing and updating their educational plans. Provide tutoring for SSS students and refer to campus tutoring as necessary.
- Assist students with understanding Federal Financial Aid, completion of Free Application for Student Aid FAFSA, and the completion of an Academic Plan as needed and educate students on Financial Literacy and assist them with locating and applying to scholarships.
- Monitor students in the TRIO SSS program who receive an Academic Referral, refer them to appropriate support services and follow-up to track progress. Assist program area dean(s) and faculty in the review and development of student intervention communication plans for assigned students. Implement student intervention communications such as phone calls, e-mails, letters, or other student contacts as appropriate.
- Maintain contact with appropriate deans, faculty, and employees regarding programmatic and curricular changes. Ensure that students have the correct and current information regarding programs and services. Assist students in applying for admission to, and obtaining financial assistance for enrollment in four¬-year programs.
- Maintain student records; provide activity reports for retention, tracking and accountability purposes to evaluate the effectiveness of academic assistance and support provided to students in the EDGE/SSS program; maintain time and effort reports, and client report students per WTCS and US Department of Education guidelines.
- Plan and lead activities that may occur during the school day, at night, on weekends, and multiple-day events. These activities include workshops, cultural events, college visits, and other activities designed to increase the retention, academic good standing, student engagement and success of program participants.
- Present EDGE/SSS program information to classes, faculty and employees to facilitate campus awareness and recruitment of participants in addition to other recruitment strategies.
- Recommend, develop and implement process improvements based on data, best practices, customer satisfaction studies and related feedback. Revise procedures and tasks as necessary. Support college objectives including recruitment, enrollment and retention initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required in education, counseling, human services, psychology, business or a related field.
- Three years of related occupational experience in a post-secondary educational setting.
- Experience working with under-represented and/or at-risk student populations.
- College-level teaching or tutoring experience preferred, particularly in STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math).
- Must possess or be willing to obtain Global Career Development Facilitator training.
- Any combination of equivalent training and experience, which provides desired knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Familiarity with educational settings, general public relations and the mission of technical colleges.
- Familiarity with student development theories and needs of two-year college students.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office, Outlook and common database operations required. Experience with educational software applications and Enterprise Resource Planning Systems/student administration systems preferred.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Must demonstrate the ability to capture essential issues, suggest solutions and provide research and follow-through.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and apply confidentiality rules/guidelines/laws. Knowledge of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) preferred.
- Experience with the target population (i.e., low-income, first-generation to college and learning disabled or physically disabled students) as well as knowledge of Federal TRIO grants.
- Demonstrated ability to teach others about financial lending/borrowing and budgeting on a household level preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations by promoting and maintaining an inclusive work environment and culture that is respectful and accepting of diversity.
- Must possess a valid WI Driver’s License, with the ability to pass MPTC’s insurance carrier criteria.
Group Life Insurance
Group Health Insurance
Group Dental Insurance
Group Vision Insurance
Long Term Disability
Short Term Disability
Paid Time Off
403(b)/457 Deferred Comp-Voluntary Retirement Savings Program Options
Employee Assistance Program
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert