Extension Agent I or II Family and Consumer Sciences and Food Systems
- University of Florida
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Auxiliary Services, Community & Government Relations, Technology, Analysts & Programming
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Extension Agent I or II Family and Consumer Sciences and Food Systems
Job No: 525219
Department: 60353059 - AG-SEMINOLE
Ext Agent I - II
You Belong at a University that's Leading the Way
The University of Florida (UF), the flagship university for the state of Florida, is a land grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach.
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF.
This full-time permanent status accruing Extension Agent will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and Seminole County. We are looking for an individual with skills in human nutrition, health, and wellness. The Agent will develop, deliver, evaluate, and report on science-based education programs emphasizing individual and family education to adopt healthy eating habits and lifestyle behaviors that can prevent or delay the onset of chronic conditions like obesity, heart diseases, hypertension, diabetes, osteoporosis, and cancer. The Agent will integrate a “food systems” concept into all extension programs. Food systems in the context of this position includes access to local, safe, and healthy foods; resource management and sustainable living; and social, mental, and physical well-being. The Agent will also provide education for 4-H youth development in health and wellness plus financial literacy, specifically through the Living On My Own simulation.
The candidate will be able to:
- Work with UF/IFAS and Seminole County teams to identify needs, issues, and opportunities.
- Design, implement, evaluate, and report on community-based educational programs focusing on human nutrition, health, and well-being in a food systems theme.
- Extend educational training through volunteer systems.
- Establish a local advisory committee to analyze the county situation, identify priority issues, and assist with program design to reach target clientele.
- Seek, secure, and manage grants, contracts, or other funding and partnership opportunities to support FCS Extension programs.
- Manage program components including program policies, records, risk management, communication, and educational materials.
- Establish and maintain an effective system for accountability and public information to all relevant individuals, groups, organizations, and agencies.
- Develop and sustain partnerships with community agencies and leaders, businesses, media, and the public.
- Develop effective working relationships with the 4-H Youth Development program plus other nutrition and wellness programs in Seminole County.
- Use traditional and innovative (e.g., web-based) educational methods to teach audiences new practices, procedures, techniques, and skills that will result in positive behavioral or practice change.
UF/IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. UF/IFAS Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments with a mission of providing quality, relevant education, and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We employ 375 Extension Agents, and we have an office in each of Florida's 67 counties. We attribute our success to a workforce that embraces the contributions of people of all backgrounds and ability levels. The Extension Agent will be a contributor to a community that provides space for innovation, creativity, collaboration, growth, and development for all.
Seminole County is a growing area in central Florida. More info is available at https://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/ . The Extension Office is in Sanford. The Agent team consists of seven Extension Agents including this position.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background check and drug screening.
In the event of an emergency, all Seminole County employees are considered essential personnel and may be required to perform alternate duties, if applicable.
Candidates must have the ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver's license, be able to work flexible hours, and the willingness to occasionally work long and irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
Commensurate with Education and Experience
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in family and consumer sciences, nutrition, dietetics, health and wellness, or a closely related area. We will accept applicants without a bachelor's degree if the degree will be earned by May 2023. If hired solely with a bachelor's degree, we want you to grow in your career. Therefore, you will be expected to progress at least halfway towards obtaining a master's degree within 6 years of employment.
- A working knowledge of healthy eating habits and lifestyle behaviors that can prevent or delay the onset of chronic diseases.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and balance diverse responsibilities.
- A commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service, responding to client needs in a timely and professional manner.
- A master's degree in a field applicable to the position.
- Experience creating educational curricula, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for both youth and adults.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together to achieve a goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- Experience working in multi-cultural settings.
- Experience in marketing, teaching, and evaluating educational programs.
- Experience working with and managing volunteers.
- Experience using a variety of educational methods including technology-enhanced and technology-based instruction to reach diverse audiences.
- Experience obtaining extramural funding.
- Excellent organizational skills and good record-keeping techniques.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply at Careers at UF by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position's closing date. They may be submitted to:
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Record laws.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
Health Assessment Required:
Special Instructions to Applicants
Health Assessment Required: $Health
Applications Close: $Closes
To apply, visit https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/525219/extension-agent-i-or-ii-family-and-consumer-sciences-and-food-systems
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-16520f41cefe3640a85da721fbd43198
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert