Finance Assistant (4722C), College of Chemistry Office of the Dean - 47484
- University of California, Berkeley
- San Francisco
- Faculty Jobs
- Professional Fields, Architecture & Urban Planning
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Business & Financial Management
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Finance Assistant (4722C), College of Chemistry Office of the Dean - 47484 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The College of Chemistry's Business Administration and Financial Services Unit is responsible for overseeing and managing all budgeting, financial accounting, recharge, receiving, external revenue generation, and systems design for the entire College. While the functions of human resources, purchasing, and research administration have moved into Integrated Regional Services, the Business Administration and Financial Unit is still responsible for ensuring that the processes, communication, coordination, compliance, and service levels are bridged seamlessly for the faculty, students, and staff in the College.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 18, 2023
- Assists with financial processing functions, which may include posting of monthly recharge transactions, financial journals, and other pass- through activities. Prepares A/R billing invoices to outside customers. Monitors workflow and operations of recharge activity. Reconciles, researches and resolves discrepancies in financial data identified by SAS-115 ledger verification process. Review encumbrance reports and research status of open purchase orders. Follow up with vendors and/or end users as needed. Documents processes and procedures for financial activities. Assists with the development, calculation and review of the College recharge rates and submission of the annual self-certification. Prepares ad-hoc reports and analyzes to include summaries of financial transactions, such as analysis of recharge billing statements by project, customer, time period, etc. for management review and decision-making. Prepares other financial journals as needed. Provide financial support to external revenue generation initiatives. Reconcile credit card transactions with event registrations and submit receipts through the Campus Deposit System. Compile and maintain financial and census data for strategic reporting. Functions as a resource to CoC support staff for basic financial account maintenance, such as establishing/inactivating speedtypes. Assists with other CoC Financial Services functional area(s), which may include Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Billing and/or Cashiering, and Budgeting. Assists with various administrative duties as needed. Effectively addresses difficult and complex customer inquiries. Delivers quality customer service to various constituencies to include internal department/campus clients and external vendors. Assists with researching, developing, and implementing new and changing business processes. Assesses internal compliance with federal and state requirements and policies. Keeps abreast of regulations and best practices concerning financial accounting and services through Campus information and/or training. Applies basic knowledge of database architecture and programming concepts to analyze and redesign financial systems to meet business needs.
- Thorough knowledge in administrative procedures and processes including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications. Requires good verbal and written communication skills, active listening, critical thinking, multi-task and time management skills. Requires interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other non exempt personnel.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a 100% full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits. This position is non-exempt and paid bi-weekly. Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience. The budgeted hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $27.19 (step 1.0) - $31.16 (step 7.0). This is a hybrid position, eligible for 40% remote capability. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see the EEOC poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see the UC policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=47484&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert