Human Resources Generalist
- Muskegon Community College
- Muskegon, Michigan, United States
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Human Resources & Employee Development
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
Muskegon Community CollegeNamed the 19th Best Community College in the U.S. in 2021, Muskegon offers accredited academic programs leading to 54 associate degrees and 32 certificates. As an Achieving the Dream Leader College, MCC’s nationally recognized commitment to student success unites its faculty and staff in their mission to prepare students, build communities and improve lives. One of Michigan’s most picturesque community colleges, the Muskegon main campus building - an award-winning Alden Dow design - spans Four Mile Creek on a 15-acre sylvan setting. The campus boasts several new multimillion-dollar facilities - the Health and Wellness Center, the Science Center and the Art and Music Building - and includes University Park Golf Course and the Carr-Fles Planetarium. The Sturrus Technology Center in historic downtown Muskegon is home to state-of-the-art applied technology offerings, the Rooks|Sarnicola Entrepreneur Center and the Lakeshore Fab Lab. MCC offers classes in adjacent Ottawa and Newaygo Counties. BENEFITSMuskegon Community College provides excellent benefits options for our faculty and staff. Below is an overview of our full time employee benefit options.• Choice between three health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).• Employer provided dental, vision, life insurance and long term disability insurance.• Employer-sponsored retirement plans including state Pension or 14% Retirement Contribution to TIAA (differs by group).• Voluntary retirement savings plan options (403b or 457 plans)• Tuition benefits at MCC for you and your eligible dependents.• Generous time off plans.• Paid holidays and holiday closure period in late December.• Onsite Fitness Center at the Main Campus & discounts to University Park Golf Course APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled- first review January 23, 2023Starting Range: 40,000-52,000 Depending on experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- At least one year of general human resource experience preferred.
- Human Resource certification is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to people of all ages, races, and social-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated effective & professional written, oral and presentation communication skills with both internal and external audiences both one on one and in large group settings.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgment and discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a successful team while accomplishing tasks and assignments without assistance, even while multi-tasking.
- Highly motivated and solution oriented with a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of the College.
- High proficiency in demonstration of office technology including Microsoft Office Suite, software, & equipment. Ability and willingness to upgrade skills including technology or process changes.
- Demonstrated ability to build working relationships with external and internal constituents.
- Must be adaptable and flexible to changes in tasks, processes and locations.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS, talent management, and LMS systems.
- Assists with employee recruitment. Responsible for posting job opening announcements to the MCC website, and local & national advertisers, as needed.
- Serves as an administrator on multiple HR systems as assigned including performance evaluations, applicant tracking, etc. and internal/external webpages.
- First point of contact handling employment-related inquiries with exceptional service referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff. Interacts with college employees, students, applicants, or outside contacts to provide information, solve routine problems, or otherwise respond to requests.
- Recruits and facilitates the hiring of qualified student job applicants for open positions.
- Conducts or acquires background checks and any employee eligibility verifications or screenings, establishes and ensures human resource files are complete including digital files.
- Oversees, tracks, and documents compliance of training. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
- May oversee the scheduling, assignments, and daily work of student or other assigned staff in the department.
- Supports, implements and tracks new hire orientation, employee recognition programs and HR related events.
- May attend and participate in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, including recommending best practices.
- Reviews and responds as appropriate to notices and requests for information from the unemployment office, keeps staff and administration informed of issues.
- Composes original correspondence and letters, weekly HR college wide communications, memos, reports, forms, charts, or other documents. Supports/maintains HR social media presence.
- Assists in labor contract negotiations preparations. Maintains and updates collective bargaining agreement for college unionized groups.
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining policy and procedure manuals.
- Manages projects as assigned and participates in functional and cross-functional initiatives.
- Provides backup for other Human Resource functions or projects as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements Include:
☐ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☒ Emergency Situations
☐ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☐ Standing & Walking
☐ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☐ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 + lbs.
☐ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☐ Climb or Balance
☐ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☒ Handle or Feel
☐ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing
☐ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth Perceptions
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☐ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold; and moderate to loud noise levels.
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus locations required.
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff diversity, andis an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities, women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human Resources Office.
Job LocationMuskegon, Michigan, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert