Assistant Professor of Dance
- Southern Utah University
- Cedar City
- 53000-55000 per year
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities, Fine & Performing Arts, Education, Teacher Education
- Position Type
- Tenured & Tenure-Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Assistant Professor of Dance
Cedar City, UT, USA
53000-55000 per year
Southern Utah University, a nationally accredited university located near the northern entrance to Zion National Park, seeks a highly motivated individual for a tenure-track position as an Assistant Professor of Dance with the appointment to begin Fall 2023. This faculty member will instruct non-major and major-level courses in Modern, Contact Improvisation, Dance Composition, and Music for Dancers. The ability to teach non-major or major-level courses in one or more of the following forms is also desired but not required: Jazz, Musical Theater, and/or K-12 Dance Education.
SUU is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD), as well as an institutional affiliate of the Utah Shakespeare Festival, the Dance Studies Association (DSA), the International Association of Blacks in Dance (IABD), and the National Dance Education Organization (NDEO). SUU has committed to the Utah System of Higher Education Equity Lens Framework. With that, TDAA is committed to the ongoing work of progressing inclusion, diversity, and equity within its programs, productions, curriculum, and practices. For more information about the department, please visit https://www.suu.edu/pva/ta/.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a value of diverse aesthetics as well as continue their own creative research with the students by choreographing for departmental productions (faculty dance concerts or musicals) as well as by remaining active in the field. The department is especially interested in candidates invested in culturally relevant teaching who are able to teach broadly within their disciplines and are committed to teaching undergraduates in a liberal arts environment.
To be fully considered for this position, you must submit your application by February 1, 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This faculty member will:
- Be responsible for twenty-four instructional credit hours per year with contributions to departmental productions included. This position includes the possibility of an additional semester (summer) of teaching during the year for additional pay
- Mentor at least two student choreographers a year
- Advise approximately 20 dance students in collaboration with SUU academic advisors
- Assist in recruitment and retention duties (including auditions and some travel)
- Engage in active peer-reviewed creative/scholarly activities
- Participate in department, college, university committees and service
- Maintain at least five office hours per week
In accordance with Utah State Code 53B-1-110, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- M.F.A. or Ph.D. in Dance - requirements for graduation completed by August 2023
- Documented successful teaching experience in higher education
- Evidence of professional experience in the dance field
- Demonstrated expertise in teaching Modern and Contact Improvisation
- Experience working collaboratively with colleagues and communities
- Demonstrated commitment to experiential undergraduate learning
- Demonstrated expertise in teaching non-major and/or major level courses in one or more of the following areas: Jazz, Musical Theater, K-12 Dance Education
Documents Needed to Apply:
- Resume/ Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter of Application addressing your experience and aptitudes related to the job description, duties, and responsibilities
- Teaching Philosophy Statement. Please include a diversity statement as it relates to your approach for an inclusive dance education environment.
- Contact Information for at least 3 Professional References
- Unofficial Transcripts
*If a phone interview is requested, the applicant will be asked to provide the following:
- Video samples of choreographic work(s) (via vimeo, google drive, or youtube), 3-minute maximum
- Video sample of candidate teaching modern technique and contact improvisation (total 10-minutes maximum)
- Can include cuts of varying exercises
- Must include explanation of or dialogue about material
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.
To apply, visit https://suu.applicantpro.com/jobs/2700270.html
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert