Executive Director, Business Development
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- 55 Lake Ave North
- Executive Administration Jobs
- C-Level & Executive Directors
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Business & Financial Management
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
BRIDGE Innovation & Business Development, at University of Chan Massachusetts Medical School is recruiting for an Executive Director – Business Development.
What do we do? BRIDGE team ideates and executes a comprehensive business strategy to commercialize UMass Chan’s IP portfolio through the development of NewCos, alliances, licensing agreements and partnerships. BRIDGE team is accountable for structuring, negotiating, and implementing a variety of transactions with external entities, including investors, leading as well as new pharma/biotech companies, incubators and other research organizations.
Success at BRIDGE & UMMS Chan: BRIDGE @ UMass Chan's reported licensing revenue of approximately $146 million during FY2018 and ranked fourth among all U.S. institutions and third among universities in terms of licensing revenue. BRIDGE and UMMS Chan researchers have also co-founded multiple successful companies – Alnylam, Atalanta Therapeutics, ApicBio, Voyager Therapeutics, GenerationBio, Acworth & Bacainn to name a few.
UMMS Chan is a research powerhouse: UMMS Chan is a vibrant research enterprise that spends >$250M per year in research activities and consistently produces noteworthy advances in clinical and basic research. In 2006, the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was awarded to UMMS Chan professor Craig C. Mello, PhD for discoveries related to RNA interference (RNAi). UMMS Chan researchers have made pivotal advances in HIV, cancer, diabetes, infectious disease, and in understanding the molecular basis of disease. UMMS Chan Programs and centers include the RNA Therapeutics Institute, the Gene Therapy Center, Program in Gene Function and Expression, Systems Biology and Neurotherapeutics.
The Role: The Exec. Director – Business Development will be an executive leadership role in the BRIDGE Innovation & Business Development team and will report to the Executive Vice Chancellor (EVC) – Innovation & Business Development. The individual in this position will manage a team of senior professionals focusing on a variety of therapeutic categories.
The individual in this role will lead negotiations and deal-structuring for venture creation, licensing and other commercialization initiatives for the entire research portfolio @ UMMS Chan and will have a direct impact on the success of the licensing, partnerships and NewCo formation through assessment, and execution on externalization strategies with academic/biotech, investor and venture partners. In this leadership position, the candidate must demonstrate influencing skills and organizational savvy to effectively interact with multiple internal research faculty/investigators and must drive similar interactions with external partners to efficiently evaluate and execute on license/collaboration/externalization of novel ideas and assets.Responsibilities
- Lead a team of direct reports in business development team & set strategic priorities/goals for commercialization of UMMS assets and be accountable for overall revenue of the department
- The candidate's main responsibility is to strategize the development of ‘high potential clusters’ working with New ventures colleagues across entire portfolio, prioritize marketing, partner acquisition to increase licensing revenue of UMass Chan
- This candidate will lead the end-to-end transaction process across a wide variety of therapeutic portfolio assigned to the team and will be the senior point of contact with the external partner for business aspects of any potential deal.
- This position will mentor and guide deal negotiations for the team members as needed, structure and negotiate collaboration and will be accountable for outcome of any partnering and investment interactions during due-diligence and negotiation/contracting process
- Identify opportunities to expand potential partnership avenues (including SRA/MTA etc.) & manage the deal process with other functions in BRIDGE team in order to drive decision making at all levels.
- Ideate novel partnership structures to cultivate external investor and syndicate interest in UMMS Chan assets and platforms
- Ideate and propose innovative venture creation (NewCos/ spin outs) where appropriate and lead development of business case and presentation materials for investors
Governance & Teamwork:
- The candidate will be responsible for timely development and presentation of detailed material describing transaction structure and negotiation strategy for internal governance/approval process as established by EVC- Innovation and Business Development.
- Strategically prioritize team focus and bandwidth deployment in consultation with EVC- Innovation & Business Development to maximize the value of UMMS Chan assets and platforms to selected partners and investors
- Works collaboratively with the Head of Transactions and leader of Intellectual Property Management during negotiation of any NBTS or definitive agreement.
- The candidate will collaborate closely with members from the scientific faculty/team members, finance, legal functions to evaluate external opportunities, help New Ventures & Operations team to manage the due diligence process, develop business cases, and ensure close alignment with internal stakeholders across different research groups to secure new partnership opportunities in line with the BRIDGE strategy.
- Supports external visibility and connectivity by participating or presenting in both internal and external forums to ensure that [email protected] Chan is considered partner of choice
- Other projects, initiatives and/or duties as assigned by EVC-Innovation & Business Development from time to time.
- A minimum of 10 years of previous work experience in business development the field of biopharmaceuticals is required; this work experience can have been acquired through work directly in a biopharmaceutical company (whether large or small), in academic technology transfer at an institution of similar stature as UMMS Chan or through work experience in venture investing, management consulting, or investment banking.
- Undergraduate degree required; preferably scientific, medical or business. Advanced degree preferred (MBA). Combination of scientific and business background is preferred
- Please include a detail sheet along with resume
- Demonstrated experience with all phases of business development and license transactions from the healthcare industry is required (please include deal sheet in application).
- Experience in managing teams in matrix environment required
- High tolerance for ambiguity and ability to influence processes (internally and externally) must be demonstrated.
- Understanding of the drug development process and working knowledge of the essential activities for key functional areas.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including specifically, the skills needed to manage difficult conversations and interactions as they arise
- Advanced degree in the scientific field & MBA
Realize Your Opportunities – A Career at UMASS Medical School
Inside Workings at UMASS Medical School
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS), the Commonwealth's only public medical school, is proud of our role in serving the people of Massachusetts. Although, its the inside workings of UMMS that makes the difference.
Mission and Culture
- We’re serious about our mission and about our people.
- Real World Impact - Our people get excited about our mission of real-world impact in health sciences education, research and public service.
- International Prominence and New Opportunities - As this institution has grown to national – and international – prominence, we’ve found new opportunities to train tomorrow’s physicians, nurses and scientists, discover causes of and cures for disease and help improve the quality of health care.
- Deep Commitment - With our clinical partner, UMass Memorial Health Care, and our other teaching affiliates, we share a deep commitment to national distinction in patient care.
- Valued Partnerships – UMMS partners with Commonwealth Medicine, the health care consulting arm of UMMS. Also, UMMS partners with MassBiologics in scientific collaborations, technology management and creating partnerships for the development of products for the benefit of patients. These valued partnerships help us to provide services and programs to help meet our needs at UMMS and the public.
- Proud Contributors - People at UMMS enjoy the feeling of going to work every day knowing what they do is truly important and worthwhile.
- Complementary and Inseparable - These varied parts of our mission and culture are complementary and inseparable.
UMMS, the state’s first and only public academic health sciences center, educates physicians, scientists and advanced practice nurses to heal, discover, teach and care, with compassion. UMMS is a world-class institution with opportunities to match.
Competitive Compensation – UMMS offers salaries that are competitive with Worcester-area employers. When combined with our generous benefits, perks, and paid time off, many job seekers are surprised to find a total rewards package that matches or exceeds their current situation.
Targeted Hiring Process – At UMMS, there are actually multiple hiring processes for different segments of our workforce. In nearly all cases, UMMS hiring process is decentralized, with qualified candidates screened and referred to an academic officer or manager with hiring authority.
24/7 Access to Employment Opportunities – iCIMS is our online job search and application system. iCIMS is available 24/7 to provide you with a convenient and up-to-date view of the available employment opportunities across our campuses. Updates are made daily and include all faculty and non-faculty position listings from every school and department within the UMMS. When you identify a position you are interested in and qualified for, apply online. New opportunities become available frequently so it pays to check back often!
With outstanding benefits, competitive pay, extensive learning opportunities, and a stimulating and attractive work environment, UMMS may be exactly the employer you’ve been looking for.
• Superior Benefits - UMMS offers a wide range of benefits and perks that invite comparison with the best employers in the Worcester area – and with academic institutions anywhere. UMMS provides superior medical and dental coverage for you and your family, fully funded retirement plans, generous time off, a Tuition Assistance Plan – and much more.
• People Centered - UMMS is an employer, but it is also a community. Its comprehensive medical and dental benefits, retirement plans, and even paid holidays reflect an institution built around people, with a deep respect for their differences and needs.
• Commitment to Healthy Living - UMMS provides resources to help you balance work and life and encourages healthy living through great programs and discounts for fitness, physical activity, weight management, nutritional counseling and general wellness available through our health insurance plans.
• Breadth of Offerings - Above all, the breadth of UMMS offerings set the School apart and makes it an environment favored by all sorts of smart, career-savvy people.
Apply for a Job
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, UMMS recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
Online - To view all job opportunities and apply online, visit www.umassmed.edu/hr and click on the “Careers” tab.
Start Now and Realize Your Opportunities!
A History of Making Vital Improvements - UMASS Medical School Milestones
1962: Legislation establishes University of Massachusetts Medical School
1970: First medical students begin classes in Shaw Building
1974: First class graduates 16 MDs
1979: PhD program begins
1986: Graduate School of Nursing opens
1986: PhD program becomes Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
1994: Graduate School of Nursing initiates PhD program
1998: UMass Clinical System and Memorial Health Care merge to form UMass Memorial Health Care
2001: Lazare Research Building opens
2002: Campus Modernization begins on the University Campus
2004: Graduate Entry Pathway Program established at the Graduate School of Nursing
2005: PhD Program in Clinical & Population Health Research established at the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
2005: Massachusetts Biologic Laboratories opens new manufacturing and filling facility in Mattapan
2006: Craig Mello, PhD, Blais University Chair in Molecular Medicine and Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator, is awarded the Medical School's first Nobel Prize. Dr. Mello shared the 2006 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Andrew Fire, PhD, of Stanford University, for their discoveries related to RNA interference.
2007: Michael F. Collins, MD, is named chancellor and Terence R. Flotte, MD, is named dean of the School of Medicine.
2009: Groundbreaking for the Albert Sherman Center, a 500,000-square-foot research and education facility slated for completion in 2012.
2010: Ambulatory Care Center opens
2012: The Albert Sherman Center, a 500,000-square-foot research and education facility, completed and opens
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert