Instructional-Track Faculty Position(s) in Business Communication
- Tippie College of Business
- Iowa City, Iowa
- Faculty Jobs
- Professional Fields, Business & Management, Communication & Journalism
- Position Type
- Assistant Professor
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Instructional-Track Faculty Position(s) in Business Communication
The Tippie College of Business at the University of Iowa invites applications for one or more non-tenure Instructional Track Faculty Position(s) in Business Communication at the level of Lecturer, starting August 16, 2023. Positions are 100% time (4 courses per fall and spring semester for 8 total courses per academic year). Appointments are renewable and contingent upon satisfactory performance and availability of funding. For more information about the Instructional Faculty policy, refer to the Operations Manual, III 10.11.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Appropriate background checks (e.g. criminal background and credential checks) will be conducted.
There is an expectation that the person in this position will maintain effective, civil, and respectful working relationships with the University of Iowa campus community and uphold a high standard of cultural competency and respect for difference that represents the Tippie College of Business’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Candidates whose teaching, research, service, and other activities demonstrate a commitment to promoting and sustaining an equitable and inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
The primary teaching area is business communication. In addition to teaching, faculty members are expected to participate in committee service and curriculum development. Faculty teaching 4 courses per semester receive grading support for major writing assignments.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provide primary instruction in a required undergraduate core course of business communication and team building to students in the Tippie College of Business. Course section size is 24 students. Follow an established course curriculum with the expectation that development of own course material will be done as needed. Maintain course management website and provide student feedback and grading in a timely manner. Participate in college, departmental and Frank Center service, including attending required meetings, committee service, mentoring business communication adjunct faculty, and participating in business communication course design and improvement.
Master’s degree in business communication, professional communication, or related technical communications field OR Master’s degree or Ph.D. in English/Communications or a related field.
- 2-3 years experience teaching undergraduate business communication or a related communications discipline (including English, composition, rhetoric, or general communications) Evidence of excellence in teaching business communication or a related communications discipline Experience with online instruction and classroom technology including digital communication platforms is expected.
- PhD in business communication, professional communication, or related technical communication field. Demonstrated business knowledge including an understanding of today’s global business environment. Experience teaching MBA and other master’s candidates in a business college Two or more years of professional work experience in a communications-intensive role
Applicants should submit:
- Cover letter clearly stating area(s) of expertise and preference of start date. Curriculum vita One-page statement of teaching interests and philosophy One-page statement discussing your capabilities to contribute to and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the classroom and college environment. Two PDF samples of recent PPT work presentations (either instructional or business related) Names and contact information of three references (Finalists will be asked to have each of their three referents submit a letter of recommendation. Please have these ready for the referents to submit should you move forward to this phase of the search)
Please submit your materials by using the University of Iowa online job application system at http://jobs.uiowa.edu/jobSearch/faculty/. Click on the listings for Tippie College of Business and select requisition 74656.
For best consideration, applications should be submitted by January 9, 2023. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed until the position(s) are filled.
Direct general questions about the position to Pam Bourjaily ([email protected]), Search committee chair, and questions about the application procedure to Gabrielle Chelette ([email protected]), HR Generalist.
More information about our faculty and department can be found by visiting our website at
College and Community
We are over 3,000 students, in programs spanning BBA to PhD. We are six academic departments, eight centers and institutes, and two student-managed endowment funds. We are 52,000 alumni and growing. Our leadership is forward-thinking and pioneering, and our advisory boards serve as eyes and ears to industry. Tippie is regularly listed in top business school rankings. We install the best technology to support our research and teaching mission, both in our on-campus facilities and at our remote locations. The Henry B. Tippie College of Business is housed in the John Pappajohn Business Building, which features the Marvin A. Pomerantz Business Library, technology-equipped classrooms, and a behavioral research lab. We hold the gold standard of accreditations, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), and have maintained the accreditation for over 90 years (since 1923). Explore Tippie's people, initiatives, programs, and more at https://tippie.uiowa.edu/about-tippie/overview
The Iowa City area community includes Coralville, North Liberty, Solon, and other small towns with a total population of about 100,000. The University both provides and attracts a wide variety of cultural opportunities, Big Ten athletic events, and a number of business endeavors resulting from scientific and educational research that originated at the University of Iowa. Excellent public schools, close neighborhoods, and a highly educated population mean that Iowa City frequently appears high on “best-place-to-live” listings in national magazines. Twenty miles to the north is Cedar Rapids, Iowa’s second-largest city, home to the Eastern Iowa Airport (CID) and a population of about 120,000.
NOTE: All applications must be completed online; however, if you need an accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact our HR team at [email protected]
At the University of Iowa, we recognize the important relationship between productive careers and quality personal lives, visit https://worklife.uiowa.edu/ to learn more a variety of resources, including dual career employment.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth and related conditions), disability, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran, service in the U.S. military, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preferences.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert