Post Doctoral Fellow - Brissette Lab
- University of North Dakota
- Grand Forks, ND
- Faculty Jobs
- Health & Medical, Medicine, Science & Technology, Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Auxiliary Services
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Position: Post-Doctoral Fellow
Salary: $55,000/yearPosition Benefits
Benefits include single or family health care coverage (UND pays the full premium), basic life insurance, employee assistance program, retirement plans with generous employer contributions, and 10 paid holidays.
Optional benefits include supplemental life, dental, vision, flexible spending account, supplemental retirement plans.
UND also offers an employee tuition waiver and a variety of professional development opportunities.
Find out more about UND's great benefits and perks here!Job Summary & Responsibilities
A successfully identified individual will join the laboratory of Dr. Catherine Brissette in the Department of Biomedcial Sciences as a Post-Doctoral Fellow. S/he will take on a project investigating pathogenic interactions between the Lyme disease pathogen, Borrelia burgdorferi, and the host immune system during the development neuroborreliosis. This position requires a candidate trained in the field of microbiology, neuroscience, and/or immunology, with extensive knowledge of bacterial pathogenesis and physiology and pathology of the immune system and brain. The candidate will use her/his skills in handling mice for intradermal administrations, blood collections, and tissue dissections. S/he will also use her/his technical expertise in flow cytometry, tissue and bacterial cultures, nucleic acid and protein isolation, detection, and quantification (electrophoresis, quantitative PCR, western blotting, ELISA, etc.), histological staining, and microscopy.
The Post-Doctoral Fellow will work under Dr. Brissette's supervision and be responsible for planning and performing experiments independently, analyzing and organizing data, preparing manuscripts for publications, and presenting the study results at internal and external scientific meetings.Minimum Requirements
- A Ph.D. in microbiology, neurobiology, immunology, or other relevant fields.
- Demonstrable research experience in microbiology and/or neuroscience in two or more of the following areas: genetic manipulation of bacteria, rodent blood/tissue collection, molecular biology, immunochemistry, flow cytometry.
- At least one first-author publication in a peer-reviewed biomedical journal
- At least one year of experience working with mice
- Successful completion of criminal history records check.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.Preferred Qualifications
- Two or more years of experience working with bacterial infections in rodent models.
- Knowledge of the physiology and pathology of the nervous and/or immune systems.
- Experience with genetically manipulating bacteria.
- Experience in RNASeq, flow cytometry, fluorescence and/or confocal microsopy.
- Experience with bioinformatics data analyses.
- Knowledge of rouotine computational software used for image and data analyses and presentations including but not limited to Adobe Photoshop or equivalent image analysis software, GraphPad, or equivalent statistical software, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to independently complete complex research programs with highly developed organization and problem-solving skills.
Review of applications will begin on 12/21/22 and must include the following materials:
- Cover leter
- Current curriculum vitae describing education, academic or other professional appointments, comprehensive publication record, and detailed research and technical skills with the duration of each experience
- Contact information for three references
To find out why living and working in Greater Grand Forks is way cooler, check out Grand Forks is Cooler.
All information listed in this position announcement will be used by Human Resources, the Hiring Department, and EO/Title IX for screening, interviewing and selection purposes.Confidentiality of Application Materials
Pursuant to NDCC 44-04-18.27, applications and any records related to the applications that identify an applicant are confidential, except records related to the finalists of the position, which are open to the public after the search committee has identified the top three or more finalists who will be invited to campus.EEO Statement
The University of North Dakota is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or other protected characteristic. Women, minorities, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants are invited to provide information regarding their gender, race and/or ethnicity, veteran’s status and disability status as part of the application process. This information will remain confidential and separate from your application.Veteran’s Preference
Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 or NGB 22 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.Clery Statement
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the University of North Dakota publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report includes the university’s policies, procedures, and programs concerning safety and security, as well as three years of crime statistics for our campus. As a prospective employee, you are entitled to a copy of this report. The report and statistical data can be found online at UND.edu. You may also request a paper copy of the report from the UND Police Department located at 3851 Campus Road, Grand Forks, ND, 58202.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert