TITLE: Assistant Librarian, Technical Services & Open Educational Resources (OER) Librarian
FLSA STATUS: Salaried (exempt)
DEPARTMENT: Rebecca Crown Library
REPORTS TO: University Librarian
JOB STATUS: Full-time (37.50 hours/week)
Reporting to the University Librarian, the Technical Services & OER Librarian manages the day-to-day operations of the Technical Services division and delivers leadership and support for the institution’s OER initiatives. Responsibilities include acquisition of library materials; cataloging; maintenance of the library’s print and online collections, discovery layer, and authentication tools. Supervises staff and students in the division and works collaboratively with college departments, faculty, and students to promote and fulfill resource needs. Other technical services duties include serving as the liaison to the library’s consortium partners at the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries of Illinois (CARLI).
The Technical Services & Open Educational Resources Librarian will also actively engage with faculty and other stakeholders to develop awareness, use, adoption, and creation of open educational resources building on the existing OER initiatives or developing a new program in an environment with a diverse student population who could benefit from greater access to affordable educational materials. Through sustained collaborations, education, and advocacy, the Technical Services & Open Educational Resources Librarian will lead the library’s OER efforts while fostering a positive and inclusive environment promoting faculty and student success. This is a fiscal year (12 month), faculty-ranked, tenure-track appointment.
EXPECTATION FOR ALL DOMINICAN EMPLOYEES
To support the University’s mission of preparing students to pursue truth, to give compassionate service, and to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.
PRINICPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
TECHNICAL SERVICE DUTIES
- Plan, direct, and manage acquisitions, cataloging, and processing of all library collections
- Perform copy and original cataloging, database maintenance and troubleshooting, and authority control
- Understanding of DDC, OCLC, RDA, MARC, LC Subject Headings, and descriptive cataloging
- Recommend the adoption of bibliographic maintenance standards and authorities in an automated environment, and develop procedures for processing all library materials
- Evaluate existing collections identifying gaps and reinforce strengths; inventory and deaccession materials as needed
- Collaborate with the University Librarian, allocate the resource budget to library selectors
- Effectively represent the library at regional and consortia technical services meetings
- Supervise the operations of the library’s Technical Services staff and student employees
- Prepare collections statistical reports
- Knowledge of Ex-Libris Alma and PrimoVE is preferred
OPEN EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES DUTIES
- Cultivate, initiate, and develop a sustainable OER program for the institution
- Provide leadership, vision, support, and assessment of OER services to Dominican University
- Work collaboratively to guide faculty in the discovery, creation, dissemination, identification, adoption, and assessment of open and affordable educational materials
- Provide workshops, presentations, and other educational outreach facilities to faculty about open and affordable materials
- Outreach to students and other campus stakeholders on the advantages of using and adopting OER materials
- Provide advocacy and outreach for OER and open access across Dominican University
- Contribute to the affordable materials diversity and equity initiatives on campus and in OER networks
- Stay abreast of new OER technologies, methodologies, and resources
- Fulfill faculty librarian responsibilities in accordance with the Faculty Handbook
- Participate and contribute to the library’s collection development efforts
- Provide reference services online and in-person, including evenings and weekends
- Actively participate in the Dominican University shared governance by serving on committees, cross-campus teams, working groups, or other initiatives that advance the university’s mission
- Serve on one or more library teams to enhance library services
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, student learning, creativity, and teaching excellence
- Other duties as assigned
MLS/MLIS from an ALA accredited library school.
A background screening is required upon hire.