Surgery, Assistant/Associate Professor
- Florida Atlantic University
- Clinical - Off Campus Location (COM use only)
- Faculty Jobs
- Health & Medical, Medicine
- Position Type
- Assistant Professor
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
The Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University is committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. We are seeking faculty who can contribute to the diversity and excellence in our programs and courses through their research, teaching and service.
The FAU Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine seeks a dynamic and collaborative clinical faculty member at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor to serve as an attending physician within FAU Medicine-Surgery.
The mission of the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine as a community-based medical school is to advance the health and well-being of our community by training future generations of humanistic clinicians and scientists and translating discovery to patient-centered care. We are committed to providing educational programs, in partnership with our hospital affiliates, that enable our medical students and residents to become active, self-directed, life-long learners. This includes equipping our graduates to effectively treat the patients that they are most likely to encounter in their practices and demonstrate a commitment to inclusiveness and diversity. In addition, produce graduates with the knowledge, skills, mindset, and self-awareness required to practice effective, humanistic, patient-centered, evidence-based medicine in an increasingly diverse healthcare environment; emphasize the centrality of collaborative relationships in the provision of the highest quality comprehensive health care; and foster and value collaboration among medical specialties, and between academic medicine and community health care professionals.
The Surgery, Assistant/Associate Professor will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Deliver evidenced-based, best-practice driven surgical care. This work will include night calls and may also provide surgical intensive care unit care coverage.
- Develop treatment plans and care pathways to provide personalized care addressing patient needs based on professional practice guidelines and scientific evidence. Provider will maintain close communication with the clinic healthcare team and provide relevant instruction to care team members as appropriate.
- Organize multi-disciplinary conferences with appropriate care team.
- Collaborate with community organizations and FAU Medicine-Integrated Health and FAU Medicine-Primary Care to support holistic patient care.
- Discuss findings as needed with collaborating physicians, consulting staff, and medical service providers.
- Collaborate with practice director to design, innovate, and implement clinical performance improvement projects driving efficiency and effectiveness of patient care. Complete patient records, order tests, and provide communication of results or other items in a timely manner.
- Assess patient care needs and monitor patient satisfaction.
- Perform staff evaluations as appropriate.
- Liaise with COM Marketing and COM Development (Philanthropy) to increase visibility and funding.
- Collaborate with practice director in new patient recruitment to ensure successful enrollment numbers are met on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Provide a practice environment that encourages a team culture and response to the provision of patient care services.
- Participate in patient recruitment events that are within scope of practice and skill set.
- Follow College of Medicine organizational protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all pertinent laws and regulations including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Successful completion of a General Surgery Residency is required. Fellowship training in trauma and critical medicine is preferred. Candidates with burn surgery fellowship training will also be considered.
A Florida medical license or eligibility for Florida licensure and Board eligibility/certification in Surgery preferred.
The preferred candidate has an interest in providing care to patients for the services of general, acute, and trauma surgery. They may also support patients in the surgical intensive care unit.
The university practice plan is newly formed and provides significant opportunity for individuals. Faculty may support patients at multiple hospitals within the Palm Beach and Broward County geographic area. Care will be provided in an academic setting.
Collaboration on clinical research protocols and subject recruitment is preferred.
The ability to effectively communicate with different members of the healthcare system as well as a variety of learners from diverse backgrounds is required.
Applicants with teaching experience with students/residents, experience with administrative organization/leadership of outpatient practices, and/or clinical research/scholarship experience is preferred.
Demonstrates and supports a culture of diversity and inclusion.
Demonstrates skill in understanding of cultural differences.Salary:Commensurate with ExperienceCollege or Department:College of MedicineLocation:Clinical - Off Campus Location (COM use only)Work Days and Hours:NAApplication Deadline: 2023-03-31-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant: This position is open until filled and may close without prior notice.
This position is subject to funding.
FAU’s Career Page permits the attachment of required/requested documentation.
PLEASE NOTE: A maximum of five (5) documents may be attached to your application. If more than five (5) documents are required for submission, please combine additional documents into one attachment to not exceed the maximum permitted.
When completing the online application, please upload all required documentation noted here: (1) cover letter and (2) curriculum vitae.
The selected candidate for this position is required to submit an official transcript sent directly from the institution for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment. Similarly, for degrees from outside the United States, the evaluation by an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation (NACES), with an indication of the documents the evaluation was prepared from (official transcripts, diplomas, dissertation abstracts) is required for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment.
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check is required for the candidate selected for this position.
Individuals requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert