Assistant Sports Field Manager 00658Role Title:
Trades Technician IIIPosition Number:
Non ExemptPay Band:
Full TimeType of Posting:
General PublicIs Sensitive Position?:
This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.If Designated Personnel, please paste statement:
This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.Statement of Economic Interest:
NoIs this a restricted position subject to availability of funding?:
YesIf Restricted Position, please paste statement:
This is a restricted position subject to availability of funding.Departmental Objective:
The Grounds Department maintains Christopher Newport’s vibrant and growing 260-acre campus. We are dedicated to providing exceptional service to the campus community and all those who visit, and to making CNU a beautiful and inspiring place. Purpose of the Position:
As the Assistant Sports Field Manager this position will lead our athletics maintenance team as well as work independently to help implement and perform sports field maintenance tasks for 28 acres of Athletic grounds. This includes all aspects of turf management to include: fertilization and pesticide applications, seeding, sodding, aerification, turf establishment, irrigation and turf repair, athletic field layout, line and logo painting, as well as landscape bed maintenance and special projects to facilitate the needs within the athletic facility.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) and/or Competencies required and preferred:
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification Required :
- Knowledge of warm season turfgrass maintenance.
- Ability to become a VDACS Certified Pesticide Applicator in Category 3-B within the first year of employment
- Knowledge of the safe, timely, and accurate application of pesticides and fertilizers. Ability to read and understand pesticide and fertilizer product labels.
- Knowledge of seeding and sodding requirements
- Extensive knowledge of athletic field irrigation system operation turfgrass water needs.
- Extensive knowledge of athletic field maintenance procedures, tools and equipment
- Extensive knowledge of how to measure, layout, and paint lines on athletic fields according to the dimensions laid out by the sports governing body. Ability to layout and paint logos as needed.
- Must be motivated and have ability to work independently and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Good writing and verbal skills
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification Preferred :
- Experience with athletic field maintenance services such as mowing, fertilizing, seeding, sodding, pesticide applications, snow removal, litter collection, chainsaw operation and safety, pruning, shallow tine aerification, deep tine aerification, vertical mowing, topdressing, and rolling.
- Experience with chemical and fertilizer applications to turf.
- Experience with safe use and maintenance of athletic field maintenance equipment such as reel mowers, tractors, sprayers, light utility vehicles, aerifiers, verticutters, sod cutters, topdressors, trailers, and field lining equipment.
- Supervisory experience.
- Associate’s degree or higher in turfgrass management or related field.
- VDACS commercial applicator with 3A or 3B endorsement.
- VDACS ‘Certified Fertilizer Applicator’ (CFA).
- Sports Turf Managers Association ‘Certified Sports Field Manager’ (CSFM).
- Experience managing athletic field maintenance at the collegiate or professional level
- Considerable and progressive experience with chemical and fertilizer applications
- Experience with athletic field markings
Commensurate with Education and Experience - position is eligible for overtimeRole Code:
79033Conditions of Employment:
This is a classified position. New and returning classified employees are required to complete a 12-month probationary period;This position includes Commonwealth of Virginia and CNU employee benefits;Selected candidate must attend 3-day New Employee Orientation Program.Posting Number:
12/15/2022Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting:
CNU will only accept online applications through the jobs.cnu.edu website. Online applications must be received by midnight on the closing date indicated in a job announcement. Faxed, emailed, hand-delivered or mailed applications and attachments will NOT be accepted. Applicants are welcome to complete an online application by using computers located in the Office of Human Resources. Address: CNU North – 301 Hiden Boulevard, Suite 101, Newport News, VA 23606. Public computers are also available in nearby libraries and at the Virginia Employment Commission. Address: 600 Butler Farm Road, Hampton, VA 23666 (M-F 9am-4:30pm).
Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Card) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only), must attach these forms with their application, in order to receive credit.
Applicant finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check. After accepting employment, individuals are required to complete a USCIS Form I-9 (employment eligibility verification) and present documentation from the USCIS List of Acceptable Documents that establishes both their identity and employment authorization to work in the United States. The provided documents will be verified through the Department of Homeland Security E-Verify website.
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services
(DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: <a href=“https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx” target=“_blank”>https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx</a>, or call DARS at 800-552-5019.
CNU, an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), is fully committed to access and opportunity.
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity. Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: