Director of Environmental Services
The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university, located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in central Virginia is seeking a full-time Director of Environmental Services to join our Physical Plant team.
The Director of Environmental Services reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the Director of Physical Plant. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the Director of Physical Plant. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
Job Type: Full-time, Benefits Eligible.
- Promote the University’s standards of quality, cleanliness and safety in the campus facilities.
Specific Job Duties:
- Direct and oversee the Environmental Services department which performs cleaning task in multiple University buildings 7 days per week.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate assigned personnel, and work with employees to correct deficiencies as necessary.
- Manage a budget and purchase all supplies and equipment related to Environmental Services.
- Conduct regular staff meetings and communicate with members of other departments to coordinate cleaning needs.
- Design and provide staff training and skills development for Environmental Services employees.
- Routinely Inspect classrooms, offices, restrooms, common areas, custodial closets etc. to ensure work is performed to departmental standards.
- Maintains inventory control in storage areas and custodial closets.
- Investigate complaints regarding cleaning, and take corrective actions as necessary.
- Initiate work orders when maintenance needs arise.
- Responsible for handling after-hour calls regarding cleaning and brings in help as needed.
- Handle emergency issues related to Environmental Services as necessary.
Benefits: Generous paid vacation, personal days, and paid sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
- 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. (8 hours/day with some evening and weekends to meet the needs of the department as required).
- Schedule is subject to change based on necessity.
- Ability to make decisions quickly based on the issues happening at the moment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience in motivating, training, and working effectively with personnel.
- High school diploma or equivalent education required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Work Remotely: No
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
References will be checked prior to employment. The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.