Faculty, Political Science
- Joliet Junior College
- Main Campus, Joliet, IL
- Faculty Jobs
- Social Sciences, Political Science & International Relations
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
Position Title:Faculty, Political Science
Job Description:POSITION: Faculty, Political Science (Tenure track)
DEPARTMENT: Social and Behavioral Sciences
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on salary schedule is dependent on qualifications.
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Qualifications include education and related work experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its faculty.
For consideration, the following items must be included with your application:
• A cover letter with your interest in being considered for the position.
• Philosophy of Teaching
• Unofficial Transcripts
• 2 letters of recommendation
The Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at Joliet Junior College is seeking a full-time tenure position to teach Political Science. Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate level. Ability to adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive attitude. They should demonstrate respect for students, understand learning styles, and apply understanding to institution-related activities. They should exhibit integrity, diversity, and open communication. This position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College Faculty Contract. The start date for this position is August 2023.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach Political Science courses, both survey and advanced classes in areas of specialization.
2. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
3. Work closely with other instructors, special programs, and services within the college to determine placements, curriculum, and academic support.
4. Participate in course development, assessment, accreditation, and planning activities.
5. Participate in appropriate departmental meetings, recruitment activities, and serve on committees.
6. Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and community needs.
7. Assist students with academic advising.
8. Demonstrate a strong understanding and commitment to the community college mission.
9. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College Faculty Contract.
10. Maintain a thorough knowledge of the subject matter necessary to teach the assigned course load and keep informed of developments in related areas.
11. Implement a teaching style and utilize instructional technologies that will best meet student needs by accomplishing the objectives of the Social and Behavioral Sciences Department.
12. Develop new courses as directed by student and departmental needs.
13. Perform related duties as assigned.
14. Demonstrate commitment to equity and inclusion related to race academic background socioeconomic status, ethnicity, religions, sexuality, differing abilities, age, and/or gender identity.
15. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
16. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and well-being, innovation, and quality.
1. Master’s Degree in Political Science
2. Three (3) years of teaching experience at the college level with a demonstrated commitment to teaching and working with a diverse student body.
3. Proficient in the use of appropriate technologies for instruction.
1. Ph.D. Political Science/Related Field.
Full Time/Part Time:Full time
Union (If Applicable):
Working at Joliet Junior College
Joliet Junior College, the nation's first public community college, offers pre-baccalaureate programs for students planning to transfer to a four-year university. A comprehensive community college, JJC also provides occupational education leading directly to employment, adult education and literacy programs, workforce development services, and student support services.
Tucked in the middle of a wildlife preserve, bridging the banks of a lake and surrounded by its own Arboretum, Joliet Junior College is an educational community that embraces diversity and promotes personal growth. Each year, more than 35,000 students find the diverse, comprehensive high quality educational experience they are looking for at JJC. We hope that you will take a few minutes to explore the job opportunities we have available and consider becoming a part of this experience.
The recruitment of qualified and diverse personnel is the cornerstone of JJC's commitment to an innovative, collaborative and inclusive educational community. At JJC, we respect the wealth of knowledge and experience each of our employees brings to the workplace. The College supports this commitment by providing personnel with excellent terms and conditions of employment, outstanding health and welfare benefits and programs for a secure retirement.
JJC employees work in a wide variety of roles within the college, including faculty, support staff, and administrative positions. With such a diverse range of professions, JJC ensures that a wealth of development opportunities is available to employees. From personal growth, career advancement, and a dynamic and rewarding work atmosphere, employees have the resources they need to achieve a successful and fulfilling career at JJC.
Joliet Junior College's open search procedures allow us to find the best available candidates for positions and to provide a balanced workforce to reflect the ethnic composition of the District we serve.
1215 Houbolt Rd
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert