Special Education/ Adult Basic Education Instructor at Maryland Correctional Training Center works a maximum of 20 hours per week.
The candidate will create a classroom-learning environment in which assigned inmate students make measurable progress towards identified goals as indicated by the successful completion of requirements for the Maryland Certificate of Achievement in Adult Literacy and Life Skills and/or a Maryland High School Diploma. The candidate will achieve this by providing instruction in a variety of methods to include whole group, small group, and individualized instruction consistent with the approved curriculum. The candidate will also be able to plan and organize, in advance, to provide for effective instruction. The candidate will also use informal and formal assessment tools to provide reliable and valid appraisal of student skills and achievement.
A. The Special Education/ Adult Basic Education Instructor reports directly to and is responsible to Dean of Continuing Education and the correctional institution’s principal.
B. The Special Education/ Adult Basic Education Instructor coordinates most closely with Dean of Continuing Education and the principal of the correctional institute.
1. Create a classroom-learning environment in which assigned inmates students make measurable progress toward identified educational goals as indicated by the successful completion of requirements for Beginning Literacy Adult Skills Certificate and Basic Literacy Adult Skills Certificate II.
2. Provide instruction in a variety of methods to include whole group, small group and individualized instruction consistent with approved curriculum
3. Plan and organize time, in advance, to provide for effective instruction
4. Use formal and informal assessment tools to provide reliable and valid appraisal of student skills and achievement
5. Maintain and submit program and instructional records in an accurate and timely manner.
6. Create a physical and interpersonal climate that is conducive to learning
7. Assist with the management and record keeping of Special Education program at correctional institution
8. Plan and implement instruction to assist Special Education teacher
9. Use placement testing to guide instruction
10. Assist with all elements of the Special Education program
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required; experience teaching Adult Basic Education preferred.