Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati ranks among the nation’s best urban public research universities. Home to more than 47,000 students, 10,500 faculty and staff and 330,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.” With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, eight straight years of record enrollment, worldwide leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 athletic conference, UC’s momentum has never been stronger. UC’s annual budget tops $1.6 billion and its endowment totals $1.9 billion. Job Overview
The position will focus on the investigating properties of different polymer coatings for applications in repellency and retention. The selected applicant will have the opportunity to work in a collaborative environment with other researchers focused on surface science, soft matter, polymers, and characterization methods development. The initial appointment is for one year, but may be renewable for one additional year, if continued funding is available. The successful candidate will work under the mentorship of Jonathan Pham at the University of Cincinnati.Essential Functions
- Duties include synthesis and preparation of polymer coatings.
- Conduct research experiments on interactions of contaminants with polymer coatings.
- Gather and analyze data, including use of confocal microscopy, optical microscopy, rheology, and contact angles. Image analysis experience required.
- Develop new ideas that promotes and develops the research in different routes.
- Preparation of data summaries, reports, and potentially other documents.
- Participate in manuscript writing for publication in scientific journals and/or presentation; may assist in grant writing.
- Keep informed of developments in field to maintain and enhance professional expertise.
- Lab maintenance, including equipment maintenance and ordering of supplies, as needed.
- May teach techniques to others, train, and mentor junior students.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities.
Doctoral Degree in the appropriate field or discipline, or the recognized terminal degree, or the equivalent foreign equivalent.Required Experience
Additional Qualifications Considered
- In-depth knowledge of specialized field, process or discipline.
- May require experience with specialized software programs.
Physical Requirements/Work EnvironmentSitting - ContinuouslyApplication Process
- Fluency in English (excellent scientific writing skills and oral communication).
- The ability to organize and analyze data, and disseminate research findings in peer-reviewed journals and in conferences are essential.
- Applicants should be present in the U.S. and be eligible to begin working upon successful background check by the University of Cincinnati and approval by the funding agency.
To be considered for this position, applicants must complete the online application process. Please upload the following under the 'Additional Documents' section of the application:
Compensation and Benefits
- A curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three (3) references.
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN