- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- UMass Amherst
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Clerical & Administrative Support, Technology, IT Support & Training
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Job no: 516925
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Dean - Pub Health & Health Sci
Categories: Administrative/Office Support, College of Natural Sciences
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assists the Associate Dean for Research and Administration, School of Public Health and Health Sciences (SPHHS) in supporting Research Administration Office (RAO) and Information Technology (IT) Office. This position assists in the general duties of finance as they relate to the pre- and post-award maintenance of research grants.
- Maintains the pre and post-award system of notification including set up of face-to-face meetings, timely notifications, distribution of information compiled by the RAO and processing of tasks as directed by the Associate Dean.
- Answers phone calls, support systems for access IT and RAO requests, maintains SPHHS Help IT calendar in exchange, and is the department liaison for timekeeping and various other general office needs.
- Works with IT Manager to prepare reports from help desk system.
- Records meeting minutes .
- Sorts, distributes and files monthly reports for various fund types for the RAO.
- Types HR forms and additional statistical entries as needed using software programs such as the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access database, PowerPoint, Excel) consistent with the needs of SPHHS.
- Runs and creates reports using Summit, PeopleSoft, SmartGrant, and Data Warehouse systems, and RAO/IT webforms.
- Performs data entry for course and academic year buyout salary details for informational and review/tracking purposes.
- Files and retrieves of confidential personnel documentation including the maintenance of existing files and the setup of new files.
- Creates purchase orders in BuyWays, processes travel reimbursements and reconciles the RAO spending account against receipts/expenditures.
- Serves as direct report for student employees.
- Hand carries data/time/confidential documents daily to academic and administrative departments as needed.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School Diploma or business school certificate.
- At least five years’ full-time or equivalent part-time experience in an office setting. (Data entry and/or suitable business background.)
- Ability to use personal computers with a knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite of products.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively in writing, in person, via phone and via email; ability to use proper grammar, punctuation, spelling and word expression in a tactful and professional manner.
- Ability to perform mathematical and statistical computations accurately and with reasonable speed.
- Experience in bookkeeping and other general clerical functions.
- Ability to draft, write, edit and proofread reports and correspondence.
- Experience in personnel and payroll functions.
- Ability to understand and apply rules, policies and procedures of assigned office activities.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize workload effectively and efficiently.
- Excellent judgment and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain records, including accuracy with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols.
- Ability to file material in accordance with standard filing procedures.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to use personal computers with experience in word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft: Word, Excel, Access.) Working knowledge of Windows and electronic mail services.
- Ability to travel across campus.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Summit, Buyways, SmartGrant and Data Warehouse preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds to carry things like boxes of copy paper and supplies
This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the University Staff Association, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the University Staff Association collective bargaining agreement, therefore.
Monday – Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply for the position, please submit your application along with a cover letter and contact information for three professional references, including a current or recent supervisor. References will not be contacted unless you are selected as a final candidate.
Only internal USA/MTA employees will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Nov 24 2022 Eastern Standard Time
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is one of the preeminent public research universities in America. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts—often called “The top college town in North America”—the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
As one of the nation's top public research universities – as measured by national and international rankings, academic citations, and research funding – the campus spends more than $180 million on research each year, demonstrating its contribution to the nation’s position as a technological and economic leader. The university works in conjunction with academic, government, and private partners to translate new knowledge and scientific discoveries into technical innovations and scholarly works that create opportunities for students, faculty and the public.
Eight schools and colleges offer more than 85 undergraduate majors, 68 master’s and 48 doctoral degree programs, many counted among the top programs in the nation and world. UMass Amherst is also home to New England's premier honors college.
The 1,159 full-time faculty members are dedicated teachers and world-renowned researchers and the campus has regularly been listed among the top performers in terms of faculty awards. With over 24,000 students from all 50 states and over 70 countries, the student body is the most academically successful in the history of the campus. Students participate in 240 organizations, 21 NCAA Division I athletic teams, extensive intramurals, living-learning residence halls, community service, and internships. With one of the largest residential life systems in the nation, UMass Amherst houses approximately 12,000 students on campus. The university is enjoying a facilities renaissance, including new buildings in the sciences, the arts, and recreation. UMass Amherst is part of the Five College consortium with Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire and Amherst colleges.
As an employer, the University of Massachusetts Amherst is a national leader in developing family-friendly policies, benefits and amenities designed to help faculty members develop both productive careers and satisfying personal lives. The university offers one of the nation’s most generous parental leave policies. The university is also part of the Academic Career Network, a regional consortium formed to serve dual-career couples and encourage greater diversity in the academy.
181 PRESIDENTS DR
Whitmore Administration Building
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert