Job no: 494462
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Categories: Adjunct Faculty
Role: History Adjunct Faculty
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.
Rate of Pay:
Per Contact Hour
2022: Less than Master's = $947; Master's or above = $98
Adjunct teaching faculty provide instruction aligned with the college's strategic goals and evaluate students' progress to facilitate achievement of their educational goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Master’s degree in the discipline or a related discipline with at least 18 graduate hours in the discipline.
2. Commitment to the community college mission and philosophy
3. Commitment to meeting the academic needs of non-traditional students, including first-generation students, older students, minority/multicultural students, and non-native speakers of English.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. College teaching experience preferred
1. Conduct assigned classes and/or labs
2. Prepare lessons
3. Provide course syllabus (which shall include grading standards, attendance policies, classroom behavioral expectations, course outline and contact information)
4. Verify student enrollment and submit grade sheets
If a lab is involved:
5. Prepare labs
6. Enforce lab safety procedures
Evaluate Student Progress
1. Keep accurate record of student performance
2. Provide students with timely feedback
Provide Student Assistance
- Maintain office hours and voicemail/e-mail communication
- Refer students to student support services
- Accommodate special needs students
Other duties as assigned that pertain to the job description
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: November 22, 2022 Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled