Dean of Culture and Inclusion
- Hampden-Sydney College
- Hampden Sydney, Virginia (US)
- Executive Administration Jobs
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Hampden-Sydney College seeks a Dean of Culture and Inclusion. Reporting to the President and serving as a member of the senior staff, the Dean of Culture and Inclusion will lead the College’s efforts to foster a College community that exemplifies “a more perfect union.” The Dean will work collaboratively with other senior staff members and campus offices to develop, implement, and evaluate programs and initiatives to accomplish these goals and realize our vision for the College’s culture. The Dean will lead the College’s Office of Culture and Inclusion and its staff.
Since its founding in 1775, Hampden-Sydney College has been pursuing its mission “to form good men and good citizens.” Vital to fulfillment of the College’s mission and to a culture that reflects the College’s ideals, is a campus community that reflects the diversity of our broader society and a campus culture that embraces diversity and inclusion. We seek candidates who can assist our campus community in creating opportunities to appreciate and benefit from the intellectual vitality that comes from engaging with diverse perspectives. We want our students’ four years at Hampden-Sydney to equip them with intercultural competence, a willingness and ability to engage in meaningful dialog, a sense of individual agency, and the confidence to pursue and fulfill their aspirations. And, we want all members of our campus community to have an equal opportunity to thrive in and feel a sense of ownership of our educational enterprise.
Ideal candidates will have at least a Bachelor’s degree and significant leadership experience in educational, corporate, or not-for-profit organizations and a successful record of implementing and advancing strategies that promote a welcoming and inclusive organizational environment. A Master’s or Doctoral degree is preferred, which may bring opportunities for the Dean to teach or to co-teach in the College’s academic program. In addition, the successful candidate for this position will:
- have a deep appreciation for the role of organizational culture in influencing behavior, a passion for creating a diverse and inclusive campus environment, knowledge of current diversity issues, and a clear understanding of the value of a diverse and inclusive environment;
- have experience in successfully leading organizational change efforts and be a catalyst for change in a complex and dynamic environment;
- be both decisive and consultative, with the ability to foster open communications and proactively build positive relationships with faculty and staff members, students, and all other College constituencies;
- be a strong and confident listener and communicator who establishes credibility with the College’s many constituencies; and be able to lead in the face of complex, potentially charged and emotional social issues.
Please go to the College’s Human Resources website at https://www.hsc.edu/human-resources to see a full position description and to apply for this opportunity. Review of applications will begin on January 2, 2023, and continue until the position is filled.
Hampden-Sydney College is a selective liberal arts institution enrolling approximately 1,000 students. Founded in 1775, it is the tenth oldest institution of higher learning in the United States and one of only a few colleges for men. Our beautiful 1,200-acre campus is less than five miles from Farmville, home to Longwood University and the Moton Museum, which is listed on the U.S. Civil Rights Trail. The campus is located 65 miles west of Richmond, 50 miles east of Lynchburg, and 65 miles south of Charlottesville, providing abundant cultural, historical, and recreational opportunities. The College is dedicated to building a culturally diverse college community and seeks applications from any and all qualified candidates.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert