Deadline to apply: Until Filled
Saint Vincent College seeks applications an Armed Public Safety Officer. This is a full-time position with benefits. This position is responsible for protecting life and property, maintaining peace and order, controlling and preventing crime and upholding College standards of conduct. Detects and prevents crime, enforces all Saint Vincent rules and regulations, enforces relevant Pennsylvania Statutes.
Education: A high school diploma or equivalent and Pennsylvania Act 120, Municipal Police Officer Training, Retired State Police (or equivalent) and Pennsylvania Act 235, Lethal Weapons Certification. College credits preferred.
Experience: At least one-year experience in security or law enforcement. Experience working with the general public is highly desirable. Ability to pass physical exam, psychological screening and extensive background investigation. Must be at least 21 years of age. Strong communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to remain calm under stressful conditions and diffuse circumstances which might otherwise result in the need for the use of force. Certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Automatic External Defibrillator (AED), First Aid, ASP Baton, and Pepper Spray. Valid PA driver's license. Attends and successfully completes all Department of Public Safety mandatory training, including weapon qualification.
- Patrol Saint Vincent Archabbey College and Seminary grounds by vehicle, bicycle and on foot to prevent and detect violations of Saint Vincent rules and regulations, vandalism, fires, disorderly conduct, theft, etc. Report all violations and incidents to appropriate authorities.
- Enforce Pennsylvania laws as allowed by Saint Vincent policy.
- Report all safety, medical emergencies, accidents, hazardous conditions and any unusual situations to appropriate authorities. Provide student and employee security escort services as requested.
- Provide first aid until competent medical authority arrives. This includes CPR and the use of the Automatic External Defibrillator.
- Respond to fire alarms and assist fire department. Determine the need for shelter for evacuees. Respond to burglar alarms. Arm or disarm alarm systems. Assist in conducting fire alarm testing and drills. Respond to other types of alarms such as temperature, water levels, and boiler low pressure.
- Properly and safely carry and use, when necessary, various security devices (OC, Baton and firearm).
- Investigate complaints and traffic accidents on Saint Vincent property. Conduct follow-up investigations as needed. Detect, analyze, preserve and collect evidence for use in student disciplinary proceedings. Operate camera (Polaroid and Digital) to record crime scene. Prepare diagrams of accidents and crime scenes. Operate Camcorder as needed. Conduct interviews of Witnesses, Victims and Suspects. Obtain statements. Protect Crime scenes.
- Prepare for and present testimony at student disciplinary proceedings and District Court.
- Lock and unlock buildings, facilities and rooms as required.
- Monitor traffic for speeding with PA approved device and moving violations. Enforce parking violations. Determine need to issue parking Saint Vincent citations and/or PA citations. Use immobilization device when needed.
- Monitor and operate closed circuit television systems throughout campus. Review recoding devices to determine evidence of crimes. Make copies of incidents and retain as evidence for future administrative or criminal investigative use.
- Direct traffic for special events and as needed.
- Prepare all required paperwork.
- Operate computer equipment and programs. This includes, but not limited to Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Automated Records Management System, and System Galaxy. Must be able to use the college’s email system.
- Comply with all written and verbal instructions. Research appropriate Saint Vincent publications for policy statements. Maintain a working knowledge of Pennsylvania State Criminal and Motor Vehicle statutes.
- Promote Crime Prevention programs such as Operation Identification. Conduct Crime Prevention Surveys and report results.
- Give visitors directions. Be customer oriented.
- Conduct checks of physical plant at night to ensure lighting is in working order. Report all outages.
- Conduct other types of investigations as requested.
- Work overtime when needed.
- Maintain vehicle, office, and personal equipment in good repair and working order.
- Evaluate individuals for level of intoxication and take appropriate action.
- Jump-start vehicles. Unlock vehicles using appropriate tools and procedures.
- Must be able to maintain firearm qualification as set by Saint Vincent.
- Must be able to maintain Act 235 standards.
- Must follow all policies and procedures of the Public Safety Department (use of force and firearm).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Special Challenges and Environment:
- Handling bloodborne pathogens/hazardous materials and disposing of them.
- Be subjected to physical violence and verbal abuse. Be placed in harm’s way while directing traffic or responding to traffic accidents.
- Work all shifts and all holidays.
- Work outside in inclement weather and freezing temperatures.
- Lift heavy objects.
- Be available to work on scheduled days off and work 12 to 16 hours a day.
All positions require the incumbent to be able to fully embrace the unique mission and identity of the College as a Catholic, Benedictine liberal arts and sciences institution. Saint Vincent College is committed to diversity and encourages applicants from all qualified candidates. Saint Vincent College is committed to building a diversified and competent population of faculty and staff, and encourages applications from women and minorities. Saint Vincent is an equal opportunity employer.
PLEASE NOTE: Background checks will be performed on all new faculty, staff and adjunct positions. Employment is conditional upon satisfactory background checks and clearances.
Please submit cover letter, resume and three references to:
Assistant Vice President of Human Resources and Talent Acquisition
Saint Vincent College
300 Fraser Purchase Road
Latrobe, PA 15650
OR electronically to: [email protected]