Information Technology Consultant
- San José State University
- San José
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Job no: 519838
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Probationary, Full Time, Information Systems & Technology
Under general supervision, the Information Technology Consultant serves as a member of the IT College Support team providing concise, accurate information technology solutions to the University College communities of end-users.
The incumbent works as a team with IT College Support to provide support remote management cloud-based solutions to support systems that are used on and off site by Departments and Colleges.
- Support and maintain remote management systems for deployment workflows of Operating systems / OS, applications and configurations to simplify and streamline deployment, management, and patching of desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile / cell phone systems.
- Create, configure, update and maintain custom installers for macOS and Windows platforms for deployment of applications through cloud-based services.
- Create and support existing scripts based upon PowerShell, dos, Python and bash for OS, application configuration and reporting.
- Ability to utilize code repositories for change management, documentation and testing procedures.
- Proactively test and ensure application and configuration compliance with new application and / or OS releases.
- Define and implement testing procedures to ensure consistency and reliability of workflows.
- Create custom status reports by utilizing remote management systems and SJSU / CSU databases.
- Integrate workflows and configurations to comply with CSU and SJSU security and authentication standards.
- Upgrade, patch and maintain Windows and Linux servers that run web, database, license, print services to support academic needs.
- Assist with faculty with micro controllers and server to enable academic related projects.
- Assist marketing teams and departments with content management and accessibility on campus supported platforms.
- Log, diagnose and troubleshoot issues with servers and services.
- Ensure servers and services are following SJSU and CSU policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated project management skills, including project planning, budgeting, and process control
- Strong knowledge of Project management principles, practices, and procedures (Agile/SDLC)
- Knowledge in change management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to create project status reports
- Ability to multi-task across technical projects, technologies and subject areas
- Ability to learn how to utilize Jamf and InTune endpoint management systems for installation, patching and maintaining endpoint systems
- Strong knowledge and capabilities to resolve troubleshoot and resolve technical issues with endpoints and cloud-based systems
- Basic knowledge with establishing testing procedures to ensure reliability of remote management tasks
- Strong customer service, communication, documentation and relationship skills
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated technical proficiency in Microsoft Windows based workstations and server management (i.e. file sharing and print servers)
- Knowledge of alternative operating systems (MacOS, Linux, Unix)
- Comprehensive knowledge of operating systems, Active Directory, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Google Workspace and other office productivity technologies
- Ability to operate workstation imaging solutions
- Ability to train technical and non-technical users on applications and hardware and new technologies, and ability to provide end users with effective solutions by gathering requirements and making technical recommendations
- Ability to plan, organize, and direct work on assigned projects, and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to disassemble, repair, and replace internal computer components
- Ability to plan, organize and maintain inventory of all systems and other IT assets
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Three years of experience supporting information systems and technology
- Experience troubleshooting computer hardware and peripherals
- Experience developing documentation for end-users
- Experience using a ticketing system for logging service requests and outcomes
- Four years’ experience providing computer and software technical support and training
Classification: Information Technology Consultant - Career
CSU Salary Range: $4,678/month - $11,547/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 17, 2022 through November 30, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to [email protected].
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at [email protected].
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at [email protected].
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: November 17, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled
Welcome to San José State University!
San José State University is a major, comprehensive public university located in the center of San José and in the heart of Silicon Valley. SJSU is the oldest state university in California. Its distinctive character has been forged by its long history, by its location, and by its vision - a blend of the old and the new, of the traditional and the innovative. Among its most prized traditions is an uncompromising commitment to offer access to higher education to all persons who meet the criteria for admission, yielding a stimulating mix of age groups, cultures, and economic backgrounds for teaching, learning, and research. SJSU takes pride in and is firmly committed to teaching and learning, with a faculty that is active in scholarship, research, technological innovation, community service, and the arts.
Located on 154 acres in downtown San José, the university offers the excitement of studying at a large, metropolitan campus where many cultures meet. Yet students find personal attention from faculty members in the smaller setting of the university's eight colleges.
In collaboration with nearby industries and communities, this faculty and staff is dedicated to achieving the University's mission as a responsive institution of the State of California.
To enrich the lives of its students, to transmit knowledge to its students along with the necessary skills for applying it in the service of our society, and to expand the base of knowledge through research and scholarship.
Leadership at SJSU
Leadership at San Jose State is defined by a belief that shared decision making and collaborative university governance is at the core of our culture. With this inclusive approach as a guide, President Mohammad H. Qayoumi and the university's leadership promote discussion and engagement among faculty, staff, students and the community to shape and accomplish the goals of San Jose State.
California State University System
San Jose State is one of 23 campuses within the California State University System, the largest, the most diverse, and one of the most affordable university systems in the country. The 25-member CSU Board of Trustees is responsible for the oversight of the California State University system. See the California State University, Office of the Chancellor website for more information.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert