Johnson County Community College
Chief Preparator/Exhibition Designer, OperationsType of Position:
Full-time Hourly, Non-ExemptWork Schedule, Hours per week:
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., 40 hours per weekPay Range/ Pay Grade:
$55,485- $69,357 , 56.56 *Actual pay depends on qualificationsBenefits Category: Full-time Benefits Position Summary:
This position is primarily responsible for proactively planning and executing the design and installation of the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art's rotating exhibition program, and the care and placement of the Nerman Museum's art collection, valued at over $50 mil. He/she is part of the team that has input into the strategic plan of the Nerman Museum.Required Qualifications:
Master's degree in Fine Arts/Studio or other related discipline and 7 years of demonstrated and documented experience with progressive responsibility in art exhibition and space design, including contemporary art exhibitions.
Proficient skill in 3D (3 Dimensional) modeling tools such as Google Sketchup (preferred), AutoCAD, or other or other industry accepted software as well as Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
Experience supervising and working with a team of creative professionals
Experience in exhibition design, mount-making, crate fabrication, preparation and installation techniques
Knowledge of lighting design
Knowledge of the principles of conservation, security, and environmental controls, ADA requirements for public buildings, and awareness of visitor needs.
Knowledge of art storage and display methods, techniques, and procedures
In-depth knowledge of art handling techniques and methods of transporting works of art
Ability to lift up to 70 lbs.
Ability to safely work with installation equipment including ladders, scissor lift and scaffolding
Ability to work at heights over 10 feetPreferred Qualifications:
Good manual dexterity for fine detail work and handling fragile objects
Embraces and promotes diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion initiatives
Higher education/teaching experience
To be considered for this position we will require an application, resume, and cover letter.Position Details: Job duties include but are not limited to:
- MUSEUM FACILITY AND EXHIBITION MANAGEMENT
- Oversees the daily operation of the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art. Organizing, planning, and executing all aspects of art display to ensure that the exhibit is implemented smoothly and completely. Manage all functions of the Exhibitions Department, its activities and personnel, including contractors, students, interns, and volunteers. Coordinate department activities with other departments and divisions of the Museum. Collaborate with Curatorial and Registration staff in the planning of the preparation of gallery spaces for exhibition; and in planning the fabrication, installation, and de-installation of both temporary exhibitions and long-term installations. Plan, prioritize and schedule daily activities of preparators in the areas of exhibition installations/de-installations, graphics installation, gallery and exhibition lighting, exhibition maintenance and art movements within the museum. Set team's job assignments to meet deadlines and priorities; oversee external vendors and contractors. Maintains an open working relationship with related personnel in regional art museums and the related services on the JCCC Campus (i.e. Fine Arts and Design Department, Audio Visual, Warehouse, Maintenance, and Housekeeping.)
- EXHIBITION FACILITATION (20%)
- Interface effectively with key personnel, on the JCCC campus and off-campus. This includes successful relationships with living artists, staff in the Nerman Museum, JCCC faculty and staff in other college departments, and community members and groups who visit the Nerman Museum. The Chief Preparator will be fully aware that a positive experience for artists with the Nerman Museum and the preparator staff is an important part of the Nerman Museum's reputation and a significant factor in public relations.
- PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT
- Recruits, trains, schedules and manages preparators. Responsible for scheduling of crews, maintaining employee records, training preparators in safety and emergency procedures. He/she is responsible for recruiting outside contractors, employee relations and new staff training, strengthening skills and benefitting NMOCA's overall operation. Training of all preparators in basic and advanced exhibition practices, including carpentry, display systems, and lighting. Scheduling and supervising installation crews and delegating technical responsibilities. Creating daily and weekly schedules for the installation crew, taking into account exhibition and budgetary needs, meal breaks and overtime.
- FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Operates Nerman Museum within budget. Responsible for processing invoices for payment by Executive Assistant. Suggests new and replacement equipment for operating budgets and is responsible for submitting all research of the items suggested. Responsible for overseeing purchases or rentals made in conjunction with exhibitions. Negotiates technical requirements of artist contracts to assure high quality production values appropriate to the characteristics of the Nerman Museum while editing out excessive or unneeded requests. Responsible for monitoring crew timecards, and timely payment of subcontractors. Responsible for inventory lists (promptly reporting missing items) and maintenance records. Authorizes equipment maintenance service orders, and related invoices.
*Duties and responsibilities, as required by business necessity, may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing. Scheduling, shift assignments and work location may be changed at any time, as required by business necessity.Diversity Statement:
Here at Johnson County Community College, we seek to inspire positive change for our students, faculty, and staff through promoting growth and development of all individuals. We aim to create a sense of belonging, accepting all values, life experiences, and perspectives on our campus. We are seeking individuals who will bring their true, authentic selves to JCCC so we can broaden perspectives with innovative ideas, interests, and passions, while fostering and promoting our diversity commitments to our community. We believe that engaging all of our unique employees is the key to students' success. You belong here.About JCCC:
Established in 1969, Johnson County Community College is dedicated to transforming lives and strengthening communities through learning. Located in Overland Park, Kansas, JCCC has enjoyed a national reputation for educational excellence and student success for more than 50 years. That's five decades dedicated to smaller class sizes, more resources and a thriving campus culture - not to mention our competitive tuition rates and extracurricular experiences that transcend the norm.Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johnson County Community College (JCCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. JCCC provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.Disclosure:
If you need any assistance throughout the search process, please reach out to the HR Generalist for this position. In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email [email protected]
To apply, please visit: https://careers.jccc.edu/en-us/job/495099/chief-preparatorexhibition-designer
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency