- The University of Georgia
- Athens Area
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Institutional Research & Planning
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
EITS-Institutional ResearchAbout the University of Georgia:
Since our founding in 1785, the University of Georgia has operated as Georgia’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). The proof is in our more than 235 years of academic and professional achievements and our continual commitment to higher education. UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 40,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 10,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
The Office of Institutional Research collects, organizes, analyzes, and communicates institutional data that supports management, operations, planning, and decision-making to further the mission of the University of Georgia.College/Unit/Department website:
TRS or ORPEmployment Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Generally 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – FridayAdvertised Salary:
Commensurate with experience.Posting Date:
11/09/2022Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
01/02/2023Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should submit a current CV/Resume, a letter that describes their professional experience and capabilities and how they meet the expectations of the position description, and at least three professional references with contact information. References will not be contacted without further contact with the applicant.Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
IT Database Support ProfessionalFLSA:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications:
Masters or higher in a field related to educational research or statistical modeling.
Experience with one or more data domains common to higher education.
The Data Scientist uses data to find patterns, trends, and causal relationships as aids for projecting probable future conditions and events. These findings will then be effectively communicated to decision-makers to aid in critical decisions about organizational strategy and tactics. This work involves a deep understanding of principles in Statistics/Mathematics, Finance/Economics, and Computer Science paired with listening intently and presenting skillfully. The goal–give end-users the power to confidently make data-driven decisions.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
- Proficient with MS Excel, Powerpoint, and Word.
- Prior experience with SQL or similar report writing software and query tool knowledge useful for research and relational databases.
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistical modeling in R or Python.
- Demonstrated proficiency with data visualization tools such as Tableau or PowerBI.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Organize, prioritize, and manage workflow of simultaneous projects.
- Work independently and in small groups.
Normal office environment.Is driving a responsibility of this position?:
NoIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
Support the University of Georgia’s Data Science Efforts in the Following Ways:
- Understand University strategy and objectives and identify opportunities to deliver decision-aids and data products [visualizations, models and their outputs, alerts, etc.].
- Extract, cleanse, and verify data utilized in the creation of features for modeling and reporting by multiple constituencies, and monitoring these products after release for drift.
- Extend University data with third-party sourced data where necessary using APIs or other methods.
- Apply advanced methods of modeling and data-mining to systematically identify patterns, trends, and causal relationships from data.
- Develop simulations based on relevant data and findings to support “What If” Analysis.
- Assist with the analysis of Accounting and Financial data sourced from a General Ledger and financial statements and disclosures, both internal and external.
- Address more difficult, sophisticated, or novel requests for analysis, such as causative models, graph analysis, and complex event processing and communicate results effectively.
- Assist in Total Enrollment Management modelling by examining the current pipeline of students to determine optimal institutional capacities and admissions thresholds.
- Support the development of data capabilities through-out the institution, such as assisting in the selection of potential tools, creating best practices for their use or machine learning generally, help in benchmarking external analytics service providers, and providing validation services to internal conclusions drawn from data.
- Other duties as appropriate and assigned by the Assistant Director for Data Science or the Associate VP.
For questions concerning this position or recruitment progression, please refer to the Recruitment Contact listed below.Recruitment Contact Name:
Andrew WestbrookRecruitment Contact Email:
The University of Georgia, a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities, is the state’s oldest and most comprehensive institution of higher education. Founded in 1785, it is the birthplace of public higher education in America.
Today, UGA enrolls more than 40,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. The main campus has 460 buildings on 767 acres of land. The total acreage of UGA in 30 Georgia counties is 41,539. UGA has 18 colleges and schools, which include Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts and Sciences, Business, Ecology, Education, Engineering, Environment and Design, Family and Consumer Sciences, Forestry and Natural Resources, Graduate School, Journalism and Mass Communication, Law, Pharmacy, Public Health, Public and International Affairs, Social Work, Veterinary Medicine, and the Honors College. It offers 24 baccalaureate degrees in more than 140 fields; 33 master’s degrees in 144 fields; 8 educational specialist degrees; four doctoral degrees in 99 areas; professional degrees in law, pharmacy and veterinary medicine; and more than 170 study-abroad and exchange programs. UGA Libraries rank among the nation’s best research libraries and contain a total of 5.3 million volumes and one of nation’s largest map collections. The university has had 25 recipients of the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship, making it one of the nation’s top Rhodes producers among public universities. UGA is home of the Peabody Awards, presented annually for distinguished achievement and meritorious public service for television, podcast/radio, and digital media. It also is home of Georgia’s State Botanical Garden, state Museum of Art and State Museum of Natural History. Additionally, UGA has one of the largest and most comprehensive public service and outreach programs conducted by an American educational institution.
215 S. Jackson St.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert