Counseling, English as a Second Language - Adjunct ProfessorPosting Number:
School of Continuing EducationDepartment:
English as a Second Language (ESL)EEO Policy & Equity Statement:
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.Salary:
$52.41 per hour (based on lecture hour equivalent)Health & Welfare Benefits:
Not ApplicableOpen Date:
06/30/2023Initial Screening Date:
06/30/2023Open Until Filled:
For more details about this position, please contact:Overview:
Name: Jody Fernando
Title: Director, English Language Learners
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (909) 274-4668
THIS IS A TEMPORARY, HOURLY AS NEEDED POSITION WITHOUT PERMANENT STATUS. Minimum Qualifications:
This is a CONTINUOUS recruitment for an applicant POOL to fill part-time, temporary, hourly assignments on an as-needed basis. Departments or divisions will refer to the POOL of applications on file to fill temporary assignments as the need arises. You will be contacted by the hiring manager should the department/division be interested in scheduling an interview.
A. The minimum of one of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:Preferred Qualifications:
1. Master’s in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling; OR
2. The equivalent (if requesting an equivalency, please answer the supplemental questions included in the application)
(NOTE: A bachelor’s degree in one of the listed degrees and a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is an alternative qualification for this discipline.); OR3. California Community College credential, “Valid for Life” (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline; refer to Ed Code § 87355. (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential must be submitted with the application.)
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students.
1. Experience working with English language learnersLicense(s) & Other Requirements:
2. Fluency in Mandarin
This position may periodically be required to get to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license.Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Provide comprehensive counseling services to a culturally diverse noncredit ESL student population, including academic, career and personal counselingEquivalencies:
2. Assist in planning, developing, documenting and executing specific services, programs and activities pertaining to the Noncredit Student Success and Support Program Plan (SSSP)
3. Implement activities relating to the Student Equity Plan for noncredit disproportionately impacted ESL students
4. Counsel noncredit ESL students in education planning, including assisting them in identifying and clarifying their educational and career goals
5. Conduct new student orientations
6. Provide input on materials including new student handbooks and student newsletters that support student progress and success
7. Teach noncredit counseling courses and facilitate workshops
8. Counsel low-performing students, identify barriers, and make referrals to appropriate interventions.
9. Attend department, committee, and division meetings; serve on college committees
10. Collaborate effectively with other faculty, staff, and administrators to plan, develop, and execute related programs
11. Participate actively and demonstrate leadership in professional and co-curricular activities
12. Use and keep abreast of advanced counseling methods and advising strategies relevant to noncredit ESL students, including the use of current and future technologies
13. Participate in curriculum development, adult education regional and statewide advocacy, learning outcome development and assessments
14. Perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with clerical and administrative responsibilities, college policies, division policies and department policies
15. Maintain scheduled office and campus hours
16. Late afternoon and/or evening assignments may be required as part of the regular contract
Candidates not holding the stated required qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency will need to answer the equivalency questions included in the application.Application Procedure:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicants must submit all of the following materials online, unless otherwise noted, at Mt.SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:Foreign Transcripts:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
4. If applicable, College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
5. Two (2) letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation). Confidential letters of recommendation are not allowed for this position.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline. Accredited evaluation agencies can be found on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services Website.Selection Procedure:
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities and other job-related criteria as listed in the job posting. Interviews may include a writing sample, presentation, teaching demonstration and/or performance test.Conditions of Employment:
The person holding this position is required to be present on Mt. San Antonio College’s campus to perform all essential duties and responsibilities.Conflict of Interest:
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees – The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report. The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio College’s Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).Cancellation Policy:
We reserve the right to re-open, re-advertise, delay, or cancel filling this position. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.