Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Florida Atlantic University
- Boca Raton
- Faculty Jobs
- Education, Child Development & Family Studies, Educational Administration & Leadership
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
The School Leaders Program in the Department of Educational Leadership and Research Methodology of the College of Education at Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL, is seeking candidates for a full-time postdoctoral research position. The position requires an accomplished education researcher to join a collaborative team working on the USDOE-funded Preparing for Readiness and Academic Improvement for pre-School Els (PRAISE) project.
PRAISE is a five year-long project that develops, implements, and evaluates a year-long PD comprising a Summer Institute for Preschool Educators and School Leaders, and a monthly year-long school readiness school-based professional learning community. Project activities are design to develop, implement, and reinforce a pre-K student school readiness action plan.
The PRAISE grant is a National Professional Development grant funded by the Office of English Language Acquisition in the US Department of Education. The goal is to enhance educators’ ability to support preschool (EL)s’ readiness for kindergarten. PRAISE seeks to engage 24 teams of educators across 24 elementary schools in the School District of Osceola County, Florida to focus on improving instruction for EL students in Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) programs.
This is a full-time one-year (12-month) position with the possibility of renewal each year up to five years. Application review will be on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and we will begin considering applications on November 1, 2022.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills
- Ph.D. in language education and/or educational leadership studies with a preferred focus on early childhood or related field.
- Experience working with children (ages 0-8 preferred but not required).
- Experience with both qualitative research methods (including interview data collection and analysis, field and ethnographic observational data collection and analysis) and quantitative methods including survey (construction, validity, and reliability research) and multivariate data analysis.
- Experience with data management for large projects.
- Ability to write independently and collaboratively on deadline, and documented evidence of scholarly publications.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, and preferably some project management experience.
- Able to perform critical thinking and analysis
Preferred Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills
- Experience with community and citizen science (research and/or practice)
- Knowledge of social learning theories and issues in education (formal or informal settings)
- Experience with Atlas.ti or other qualitative data analysis software
- Experience with SPSS or other quantitative data analysis software
- Demonstrated capacity to lead a social science research team in highly collaborative research
- Demonstrated ability to mediate and facilitate a process involving multiple stakeholders with diverse interests
The Postdoctoral Scholar will join the PIs to conduct mixed-methods, case-study research. This role includes research design, data collection at case study sites, data analysis, literature reviews, leading and supporting writing of peer-reviewed journal articles, coordinating and leading research-focused virtual and in-person meetings, and assisting project staff in developing outreach and communication materials.
Importantly, the Postdoctoral scholar will be highly motivated and collaborate with and support Project Staff in the development and delivery of project activities. Core responsibilities of this position are:
- to join in the design of all research components of the project, and to oversee the daily research activities of the project.
- to help adapt and refine observation, interview and survey instruments, and conducting literature reviews as necessary to develop/update instruments;
- to conduct qualitative and quantitative data analysis of observational, interview and survey data collected at case study programs in field-based settings over for each year;
- to develop and deliver presentations at professional conferences;
- to lead author and co-author peer-reviewed journal articles;
- to assist Project Staff in the continuing refinement of the workshop curricula and classroom observation;
- to assist with the planning and implementation of virtual and in-person Advisory Board meetings, and assist with writing annual NPD reports; and
- to contribute to products useful to practitioners in collaboration with project staff.
The primary worksite location is FAU’s Boca Raton Campus with travel to the School District of Osceola County, Florida at various district elementary school and central office locations as appropriate.Minimum Qualifications:Ph.D. in language education and/or educational leadership studies with a preferred focus on early childhood or related field.Salary:This will be a 5 year grant funded position starting at $55,227/yr.College or Department:College of EducationLocation:Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:NAApplication Deadline: 2023-02-20-08:00Special Instructions to Applicant: This recruitment has been reopened; all previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. This position may close without prior notice.
Application review will be on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
This position is open until filled and may close without prior notice.
This position is subject to funding.
FAU’s Career Page permits the attachment of required/requested documentation.
PLEASE NOTE: A maximum of five (5) documents may be attached to your application. If more than five (5) documents are required for submission, please combine additional documents into one attachment to not exceed the maximum permitted.
When completing the online application, please upload all required documentation noted here: A CV including complete list of publications and cover letter to ([email protected]) with subject line PRAISE Postdoc. Include a short research and career plans statement (maximum 2 pages) and the names and email addresses of three or more references.
The selected candidate for this position is required to submit an official transcript sent directly from the institution for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment. Similarly, for degrees from outside the United States, the evaluation by an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation (NACES), with an indication of the documents the evaluation was prepared from (official transcripts, diplomas, dissertation abstracts) is required for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment.
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check is required for the candidate selected for this position.
Individuals requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert