Assistant Director, Alumni Engagement - Office of Undergraduate Admissions (4509U) 44553
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions provides a fair opportunity for every applicant to obtain admission to the University, operates in a professional manner that ensures positive staff morale, and values hard work and dedication. The team communicates and collaborates effectively, presents a coordinated effort to standardize procedures and document best practices, offer a variety of methods for professional development, and provide first-class customer service in a cost- effective and transparent manner.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 11, 2022
This position serves as the department liaison for alumni entities, including but not limited to the Cal Alumni Association (CAA), University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR), and both affiliated and unaffiliated alumni chapters, affinity groups, and special alumni programs. The incumbent has excellent stakeholder and project management skills and has experience with event planning and coordination.
This position also supports with the management of large scale events in both the outreach and yield (i.e. Cal Day, Golden Bear Welcome, Power in Community Day, and The Berkeley Showcase). In addition to general event support, the incumbent ensures that events have the appropriate alumni support and coordinates with alumni entities. The incumbent will forge relationships with the appropriate stakeholders, frequently meeting with alumni partners in collaboration for events and outreach/yield strategies involving alumni.Application Review:
- Serves as lead reader for assigned territory, including the training and management of assigned external readers. Reads and scores applications for freshman and transfer admission. Assesses academic preparedness of applicants.
- Assesses applicants for motivation, initiative, leadership potential, work/life experience, extracurricular activities, socioeconomic status, disability, and educational/personal hardship. Uses professional judgment when reviewing complex applications for admission. Using extensive knowledge of college/school/department requirements and applicant pool, assesses the applicants' overall record and experience for final admissions recommendation.
- Serves as the contact for all assigned schools/community colleges. Represents the University of California, Berkeley at school/community college visits, college nights/fairs, transfer days/fairs, and other public engagements as assigned. Behaves in a manner that promotes goodwill on behalf of the University. Plans visits to schools, schedules and makes presentations, and follow-up visits. Identifies potential students, and provides information about higher education generally and UC Berkeley specifically.
- Plans, manages and implements events to enhance recruitment and yield, including Cal Day, Power in Community day, diversity initiative events, mentoring programs, electronic communications, and similar activities. Assesses effectiveness in attracting quality students to UC Berkeley. Utilizes search and marketing tools and technology.
- Maintains a caseload of newly admitted students and performs course-by-course evaluations for transfer credits. Evaluates transcripts for prospective, new and continuing students. Mandates supplemental academic preparation as a condition of admission where appropriate. Determines if applicant has met specific University/campus requirements at point of admission. Finalizes applicants' entrance records for the University. Recommends admissions be cancelled or sustained based on extenuating circumstances, recommendations or supplemental information regarding applicant. Contacts applicants regarding the status of their admission.
- Plans, develops, coordinates and implements activities for undergraduate student development in partnership with campus programs. Interprets, implements and applies University admission policies. Keeps supervisor abreast of progress/process. Maintain and support relationships with alumni and current student groups.
- Serves as liaison between students, parents, colleges/universities, community agencies, and UC Berkeley college/school/department. Serves as Officer-of- the-Day (OD) as assigned. Provides in-depth information on admissions requirements/selection/eligibility requirements, prerequisite courses, school/college programs and curricula, specific financial aid criteria, and career opportunities. Assist prospective applicants with course planning. Responds to general inquiries. Contacts students regarding their admission to Berkeley.
- Thorough knowledge and experience working with a diverse student population.
- Ability to interpret and communicate University policies and procedures to prospective students and the public.
- Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of academic programs, including curricula, admissions requirements, and financial aid programs, at colleges / universities and specifically at UC, and / or specific colleges and schools.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with schools, universities, community organizations, and other institutions.
- Ability to develop recruitment programs, and design effective materials.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Experience and skill in student recruitment and knowledge of marketing research and analysis.
- Ability to travel and lift approximately 30lbs.
- Time, organization and project management skills.
- Knowledge of K-16 education issues.
- Must maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of all associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Proficiency in a variety of software applications including, but not limited to,office productivity, customer relations management, and online application reading and evaluation (Slate and Campus solutions preferred).
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this position will start at $74,000. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume
section of your application.
- This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment, eligible for full UC benefits. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions is currently operating on a hybrid schedule and plans to continue for the foreseeable future.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=44553&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency