Assistant Professor of Piano Pedagogy & Performance
Job Location1460 University Drive, Winchester, Virginia
Shenandoah Conservatory, one of the country’s leading centers for collaborative work across the performing arts is seeking nominations and applications for an exceptional pianist, innovative teacher, recruiter, and savvy 21 st century musician to join the Keyboard faculty. This full-time and career-contract track position begins in August 2023.
About Shenandoah Conservatory:
Shenandoah Conservatory was founded in 1875 and has an extraordinary legacy of shaping music and the performing arts in Virginia and beyond. Located at the head of the historic Shenandoah Valley in Winchester, VA, 70 miles west of Washington DC, the Conservatory is now home to over 640 award-winning students from across the nation and globe enrolled in baccalaureate, master, and doctoral curricula in the areas of music, theater, and dance, and includes a distinguished faculty of over 125, half of whom are full-time. Beyond being a comprehensive performing arts school, Shenandoah Conservatory is home to exceptional artists and scholars who are unusually oriented towards collaboration and innovative approaches to the career preparation of students. The Conservatory’s ShenCoLAB
(formerly titled Student Performance Week) is but one example of the Conservatory’s nation-leading embrace of innovation and collaboration: a (first-in-the-country) week-long stoppage of all classes and rehearsals across all programs with the school turned over to students for student-led (and faculty-mentored) collaborative projects. The Conservatory’s proximity to Washington, DC, and Dulles Airport, ensures easy access to and regular interaction with professionals from around the country and the world. www.su.edu/conservatory
The Position and Responsibilities:
Building on exceptional musicianship and a passion for piano pedagogy, the chosen candidate will help to advance the Conservatory’s reputation as a premier place of study where artists from diverse backgrounds actively engage in innovative and collaborative work.
Specifically, the desired candidate will:
- Teach applied piano, accompanying, score reading, piano literature, or chamber music based on areas of expertise;
- Coordinate and teach class piano for music majors in engaging and innovative ways;
- Work with faculty colleagues to align the class piano sequence with music theory and aural skills courses;
- Contribute to recruiting efforts to attract highly talented students;
- Actively contribute to curriculum discussions and a faculty community that is oriented towards excellence, collaboration, and innovation, including forward-oriented approaches to career preparation of music performance students;
- Actively contribute to the Conservatory’s commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity; and
- Maintain a high profile in piano pedagogy while being intensely engaged in Conservatory and University life, including contributing to school-wide conversations and committees, and participating in division meetings, auditions, and recruitment activities.
Contributions to program development and recruitment, Conservatory-wide collaboration, and support for Shenandoah University business and faculty work are expected.
Qualifications include the following:
- An excellent pianist with teaching experience and expertise in group and class piano instruction;
- Ability and interest to effectively attract and recruit students;
- Demonstrated ability to navigate 21 st century tools (whether social media, YouTube, and/or streaming services) to effectively build listeners/followers;
- Demonstrated orientation towards collaborative work;
- An ability to contribute to the Conservatory’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, and equity;
- Eligibility to work in the United States Possession of a DMA or equivalent professional experience.
How to Apply:
Complete application submissions will include a letter of intent (in which candidates should describe their commitment to and engagement around inclusion, diversity, and equity), curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a qualified candidate is selected. A pre-employment background check will be required. If the job requires driving for University business, a satisfactory driving record will also be required.
Shenandoah University is committed to enriching its educational experience and culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff. All candidates are strongly encouraged to include a statement in their cover letters addressing ways in which they may be able to contribute to that commitment.
**Note: A pre-employment background check will be required as a condition of hire.
Shenandoah University values the unique and diverse perspectives of individuals and communities locally and globally and seeks to foster mutual understanding in an inviting community where individuals are welcome and respected. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status, or on any other basis protected under applicable law.
Salary TypeNot Applicable