Assistant Professor - Graphic DesignLocation:
Clemson, SCOpen Date:
Oct 19, 2022Description:
Assistant Professor, Tenure Track in Graphic Design, Department of Art at Clemson University
The Department of Art at Clemson University is pleased to invite applications for a full-time tenure-track position in Graphic Design at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning in Fall 2023. The Department has recently launched a BA Art degree, with rapid growth in the Digital Art and Design Media emphasis. We seek a candidate with a strong research agenda and active exhibition record who brings the vision to lead an undergraduate Graphic Design curriculum from Introductory through Advanced, and to work towards developing a new BFA concentration through the senior capstone level.
The primary responsibilities of the Graphic Design position include teaching an average annual 3/3 course load with some variation based on research activity. Further responsibilities include comprehensive knowledge of current studio art health and safety practices, cooperative management and oversight of computing needs with university IT and related faculty, advising undergraduate and graduate students, and service to the department, college, university, and profession. The Graphic Design program is centered on Beginning Graphic Design, Intermediate Graphic Design, and Advanced Graphic Design, and will include other art studio or seminar courses as needed, and according to the candidate’s research, qualifications, and curricular and programmatic desires.
The successful candidate will enjoy a wide degree of curricular and programmatic autonomy. Course material may include design fundamentals, typography, print design, user experience, user interface design, design thinking, motion graphics, web design and/or portfolio development.Qualifications:
- The successful candidate will have an M.F.A. with an emphasis in Graphic Design or closely related field.
- A minimum of three years teaching experience beyond graduate school.
- Promise for achieving a record of creative research that lies at the forefront of Graphic Design congruent with a Carnegie classified Research-1 Highest Level university.
- An ability to instruct graphic design in both technique and industry application.
- Familiarity with inclusive teaching, issues related to unconscious bias in design, and/or accessible design.
- A willingness to explore methodologies and technologies in graphic design and visual communication as new methods and media continue to emerge.
- Ability to work with a diverse set of students in a cross-media studio arts program.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and to participate in departmental and institutional committee service and scheduled departmental and student activities.
- A robust knowledge of technique, theory, and history of Graphic Design as well as full understanding of current health and safety practices.
- Ability to develop and sustain positive working relationships with faculty, staff, administrators, students, and the local community.
Candidates should submit the following via Interfolio: http://apply.interfolio.com/116256
- Cover Letter
- Research Statement
- Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Sample syllabi in Graphic Design
- A portfolio of 20 samples of personal work, and 20 samples of student work.
- A list of three professional references or, alternatively, three confidential letters of reference. Please note that letters of reference will later be required of all first-round interviewees.
- Academic transcript (unofficial is acceptable, official will be required of finalists)
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2022 and will continue until position is filled.
For questions about the position or application process, please contact: Todd Anderson, Associate Professor and Chair of the Graphic Design Search Committee [email protected]
Department of Art in the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities: http://www.clemson.edu/caah/departments/art/
Clemson Diversity and Inclusion: https://www.clemson.edu/inclusion/
Clemson University President’s Forum on Inclusive Excellence: https://www.clemson.edu/president/forum/
The Art Department at Clemson University is growing, and this position represents a new tenure-track line. The College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, Art Department, and its faculty are enthused to be building a BFA emphasis in Graphic Design program for our students. Admission into Clemson University is selective, and the successful applicant will be working with an academically prepared and professionally motivated student body. Our teaching is additionally benefited by university-mandated student laptop policies and a comprehensive software program that includes the entirety of the Adobe Creative and MS suites, among many others, free of charge for faculty and students alike. Our collaborative and active department encourages close-knit classroom experiences and promotes experiential learning that highlights faculty areas of expertise and research.
The Department of Art at Clemson University, in the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, offers the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), the Bachelor of Arts in Art (BA), and the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) professional degree. The curriculum is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The Department of Art has approximately 100 undergraduates and 18 graduate students enrolled in our visual arts programs. Uniquely, the size allows the faculty to frequently conduct team critiques, which maximizes the exchange of ideas and methods that arise within individual studio disciplines — Digital Art & Design Media, Studio Art & Art History concentrations in the BA Art program, and Painting, Sculpture, Drawing, Ceramics, Printmaking, and Photography concentrations in the BFA programs. Students in the Department of Art work and learn in well-equipped studio facilities, and we have an ideal average student-to-teacher ratio of 1-to-12 or better.
Clemson University is a public land-grant institution and South Carolina's highest-ranked national university. A top-25, Carnegie-classified R-1 Highest Research Level university with a reputation for excellence, Clemson University provides a hands-on education - in the studio, in the classroom, and in the field. Academic programs lay the groundwork for innovative research, and real-world experiences carry forward to rewarding careers. This strikingly beautiful campus enjoys a temperate and pleasant climate year-round. We are located at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains and surrounded by Lake Hartwell and the Clemson Experimental Forest. We enjoy low cost of living in a smaller-sized city setting and some of the finest public schools in the state. We are a short drive from Greenville, SC, and roughly equal-distant between Atlanta, Asheville, and Charlotte. We welcome applications of outstanding scholar-educators to come join us at Clemson University. Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Clemson University is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Clemson University is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and encourages applications from minorities and women.