Commercial Art, Applied Drawing - Adjunct ProfessorPosting Number:
Fine ArtsEEO Policy & Equity Statement:
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.Salary:
$80.63 per hour (based on lecture hour equivalent)Health & Welfare Benefits:
Not ApplicableOpen Date:
06/30/2023Initial Screening Date:
06/30/2023Open Until Filled:
For more details about this position, please contact:Overview:
Name: Carolyn Alexander
Title: Department Chair, Fine Arts
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (909) 274-4317
THIS IS A TEMPORARY, HOURLY AS NEEDED POSITION WITHOUT PERMANENT STATUS.Minimum Qualifications:
This is a CONTINUOUS recruitment for an applicant POOL to fill part-time, temporary, hourly assignments on an as-needed basis. Departments or divisions will refer to the POOL of applications on file to fill temporary assignments as the need arises. You will be contacted by the hiring manager should the department/division be interested in scheduling an interview.
The position is for a qualified candidate that can teach basic drawing concepts, methods and skills, drawing from direct observation, composition, and exploration of drawing media for the following class: Fundamentals of Drawing.
A. The minimum of one of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:Preferred Qualifications:
1. Any Bachelor’s degree and two (2) full-time equivalent years of professional experience directly related to the faculty member’s teaching assignment; OR
2. Any Associate’s degree and six (6) full-time equivalent years of professional experience directly related to the faculty member’s teaching assignment; OR3. The equivalent (if requesting an equivalency, please answer the supplemental questions included in the application); OR4. California Community College credential, “Valid for Life” (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline; refer to Ed Code § 87355. (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential must be submitted with the application.)
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students.
1. Professional experience in drawing for animation or illustrationLicense(s) & Other Requirements:
2. College level teaching experience
3. BFA in Art
4. Experience teaching students from under-represented populations
5. Experience with culturally relevant pedagogy
This position may periodically be required to get to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license.Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Teach basic and intermediate drawing concepts, methods and skills, drawing from direct observation, composition, light-logic, perspective, and exploration of drawing media for the following class: Fundamentals of Drawing.Equivalencies:
2. Integrate direct observation, historical examples, industry standards, design concepts, materials and techniques into coursework and project development.
3. Work alongside faculty, and the laboratory technician in maintaining the facility, assessing the equipment, and safety compliance.
4. Remain current in the field through personal practice, technological advances, and professional development opportunities.
5. Teach assigned courses in accordance with assigned course outline of record.
6. Participate in learning outcome development and assessments.
7. Perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with clerical and administrative responsibilities and college, division, and department policies.
8. Collaborate effectively with other faculty, staff, and administrators to plan, develop, and execute related programs.
9. Instruct and assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methods including strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations, and informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions.
10. Maintain scheduled office and campus hours.Late afternoon and/or evening assignments may be required.
Candidates not holding the stated required qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency will need to answer the equivalency questions included in the application.Application Procedure:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicants must submit all of the following materials online, unless otherwise noted, at Mt.SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:Foreign Transcripts:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
4. If applicable, College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
5. Two (2) letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation). Confidential letters of recommendation are not allowed for this position.
6. Link to an online portfolio containing 15-20 examples of original recent work. Each portfolio piece should include a brief description of date, technique, size and other pertinent information. To submit the portfolio: in one of the “optional other document” sections of the application site submit a link to an online portfolio meeting the above specifications.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline. Accredited evaluation agencies can be found on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services Website.Selection Procedure:
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities and other job-related criteria as listed in the job posting. Interviews may include a writing sample, presentation, teaching demonstration and/or performance test.Conditions of Employment:
The person holding this position is required to be present on Mt. San Antonio College’s campus to perform all essential duties and responsibilities.Conflict of Interest:
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees – The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report. The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio College’s Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).Cancellation Policy:
We reserve the right to re-open, re-advertise, delay, or cancel filling this position. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.