The LEAD (Leveraging Equity in Academia through Diversity) Faculty Fellowship supports the actualization of Harper College’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion institutional priorities and goals. This fellowship will equip candidates with the teaching experiences, professional development opportunities and mentorship connections for successful career matriculation and retention in Higher Education as faculty members. This is a full-time, paid position that seeks to increase the faculty diversity at Harper College and to expose our students and colleagues to a rich, more diverse environment.
LEAD Faculty Fellows will have a reduced teaching load during the first year and move towards a full teaching load during the second year. Fellows will observe and shadow senior faculty members, participate in ongoing goal setting and feedback sessions with mentors, engage with shared-governance committees and the faculty senate, interact with faculty and staff campus-wide and participate in a range of professional development opportunities. This fellowship will begin in August 2023 and is a two-year appointment. The option to apply for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the end of the appointment will be contingent upon current vacancies. We encourage applicants from racially underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Special consideration may be given to applicants with a background in Liberal Arts, STEM or Social Sciences.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of LEAD Faculty Fellows will include but are not limited to the following:
- Teach assigned credit hours each academic year
- Design inclusive course content and syllabi
- Engage with designated mentors on a regular basis
- Attend internal and external professional development programs
- Set professional goals and priorities annually
- Build strong and supportive relationships with students, faculty and staff
- Observe/shadow senior faculty members
- Engage in ongoing feedback and performance evaluations
- Utilize institutional resources to strengthen capacity
- Participate in selected shared governance committee meetings
- Attend faculty senate and division/department meetings
- Develop and maintain a digital professional portfolio
- Participate in an employee resource group
- Attend programs sponsored by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
LEAD Faculty Fellows will report to and be evaluated by their division Dean. The Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will convene regular meetings with the Fellows, their division Dean and designated mentors. Fellows will also meet twice a semester with the aforementioned group as a collective.
Applicants must have a master’s degree or equivalent work experience and meet the departmental credentials statement. Applicants must also have less than three years of full-time teaching experience as the instructor of record.
Applications must be completed online and include the following attachments:
- Letter of interest/Cover Letter (two-pages maximum) that describes:
- Your interest in serving as a LEAD Faculty Fellow
- What you would like to gain from participating as a LEAD Faculty Fellow
- Contributions you would bring to Harper College
- Your passion and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice
- Your career goals and aspirations
- Current vita or resume
- Unofficial transcripts
Weeks per fiscal year: Faculty are covered under a 9-month contract period (August thru May)
Application Review Date: Applications are accepted until the position is filled though priority will be given to applications received on or before: January 6, 2023
* Official transcripts required upon hire
* Employment is contingent upon Criminal Background Check.
* Employment sponsorship is not available.
Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to create an inclusive learning and working environment where individual differences and identities are respected, valued and embraced. We encourage women, people from historically underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.