: Civil ServiceSubscribe:
: Facilities DepartmentLocations:
: Schenectady, NYPosted:
: Oct 19, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part-timePosition ID:
About SUNY Schenectady County Community College:
SUNY Schenectady County Community College (SUNY Schenectady) is one of the State University of New York's finest two-year colleges located in upstate New York's vibrant and growing Capital Region, with easy access to Boston, NYC, the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains, Montreal and scenic Hudson Valley, all of which are just a few hours away. SUNY Schenectady is a premier college that provides quality, comprehensive education for transfer, career, training and workforce development to a diverse population in a student centered environment. The College offers more than 50 transfer and career programs in science, aviation, culinary, music, and liberal arts, and serves more than 5,000 students. SUNY Schenectady County Community College offers an excellent benefit package including health care with dental and vision coverage, a choice of retirement systems, a deferred compensation benefit, an on-site child care program and Montessori School, professional development opportunities, and health club membership. We take pride in being an urban campus with a small town feel.
SUNY Schenectady is dedicated to cultivating an environment that celebrates diversity, prioritizes inclusion, and insists on equitable access. Diversity, equity, and inclusion is central to our vision and mission; we know that to foster a sense of belonging and preserve connectedness, we must create and maintain working and learning spaces that welcome, respect, and appreciate difference. SUNY Schenectady provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law. Applications from minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged.
SUNY Schenectady County Community College is seeking a part-time weekend Maintenance Worker. This position performs a variety of maintenance and cleaning activities at our campus building. The work may involve the part-time operation of a truck, automobile or other automotive equipment. This position reports to the Director of Facilities.
This position is regularly responsible for the following:
- Make sure any weekend events setups are complete and to assist as needed. Cleanup area after event is finished.
- Check and clean all public restrooms on Campus, restock paper supplies as needed .
- Check Mechanical rooms to make sure there are no issues, eg: leaks, broken pipes and equipment is running.
- Operates Vehicles, Trucks, automobiles, and motorized equipment (snow Plows, lawn equipment, string trimmers)
- Does interior and exterior painting.
- Clears snow from, and spreads rock salt, calcium chloride on sidewalks, driveways, stairs, parking lots.
- Takes part in General Grounds maintenance activities.
- Performs semi-skilled work as necessary in carpentry, electrical, or painting .
- Helps install and repair general Plumbing equipment, such as toilets, faucets sinks .
- Prepares room set ups and breakdowns.
- Cleanup classroom after weekend classes.
NOTE: The essential functions of this job are determined by the department/jurisdiction where the job is located.
- One year of experience as a building maintenance* worker, custodian or in the building trades of carpentry, masonry, electrical, or plumbing.
* At the sole discretion of the Appointing Authority, experience in grounds work may be substituted for building maintenance experience on a month by month basis.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Working knowledge of building and general maintenance and repair practices;
- Working knowledge of the common tools, terminology and safety precautions;
- mechanical aptitude.
Permanent appointment to positions in the County is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Hours of the position are: Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Must possess a New York State driver's license at time of appointment, and must maintain such license throughout the tenure of appointment.
- Offers of employment will be conditional based on the successful completion of a background check.
Application Instructions: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Please upload a completed Schenectady County Civil Service Application which can be found here.
SUNY Schenectady County Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender or gender identify, disability, or age in admissions, employment, programs and activities. As an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a commitment to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference, SCCC encourages candidates who can contribute to this goal to apply.
CAMPUS SAFETY REPORT
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the College's crime statistics for the past three years; and the availability regarding the College's current campus security policies. SUNY Schenectady County Community College's Annual Security Report is available here.
SUNY Schenectady is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.