Assistant Professor of Computer ScienceJob Description Summary, Duties and Responsibilities, Required Qualifications and Preferred Qualifications:
The search will remain open until the position is filled. First consideration will be given to applications received by November 15, 2022. Second consideration applications must be submitted by January 2, 2023. Applications received subsequent to the second consideration date (January 2, 2023) may not be given full consideration.Union:
The University of Rhode Island invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Statistics. We seek candidates who can contribute to both teaching and research in computer science. Of particular interest are candidates with expertise in the broad area of computer systems and its application across multiple disciplines.
The University seeks to attract an active, culturally and academically diverse faculty of the highest caliber, skilled in the scholarship of teaching, discovery, application, and integration of knowledge. The Department of Computer Science and Statistics at URI is a vibrant and growing department with computer science faculty active in a wide variety of research areas including machine learning, data science, cyber security, HCI, computational biology, CS education, and programming languages. The department offers BS, BA, MS and PhD degrees in Computer Science, an MS degree in Statistics, Graduate Certificates in Cyber Security and Digital Forensics, and a Professional Science Master’s degree in Cyber Security. The department also collaborates with the Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematical Sciences in offering interdisciplinary BA and BS degrees in Data Science. The Department is committed to supporting professional development opportunities for the candidate.
The Assistant Professor position is a permanent, tenure-track, full-time, 9-month appointment starting with the academic year 2023-24.
Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment and capacity to initiate new funded research as well as to expand, complement, and collaborate with existing research programs in the Department of Computer Science and Statistics and beyond. It is expected that all candidates will also be committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching, including developing new courses related to their research expertise, and supervising and mentoring students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Conduct research, obtain external research funding, and participate in interdisciplinary research; teach undergraduate and graduate courses; advise graduate students.
1. Ph.D. in computer science or a closely related area, awarded by August 2023.
2. Demonstrated evidence of scholarly activity and potential to develop an externally funded research program.
3. Demonstrated ability to teach computer science courses.
4. Demonstrated ability to build an equitable and diverse scholarly environment in teaching, mentoring, research, and service.
5. Demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
6. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
1. Ability to develop new courses and innovative curricular programs in Computer Science.
2. Ability to develop collaborative relationships with partners at URI, and in Rhode Island, the region, and the nation.
3. Ability to improve recruitment and retention of undergraduate and graduate students, particularly students from underrepresented communities.
4. Ability to contribute to the teaching of a variety of computer science courses in fields such as computer architecture/organization, operating systems, parallel and distributed computing, computer networks, cloud computing, and computer security.
Applicants who have not had the opportunity to demonstrate fully in their CV one of the required or desired qualifications are encouraged to detail in their letter of interest how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
AAUP - American Assoc of Univ ProfessorsStatus :
Academic Year, Full-time, Tenure-track, PermanentDepartment:
Computer Science & StatisticsContact(s):
Please note: Job applications must be submitted directly online only at: (https://jobs.uri.edu)Campus Location:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach the following 5 (PDF) documents to your online Faculty Employment Application: Position Number:
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Statement of Teaching Philosophy
4. Statement of Research
5. Statement on Diversity – Please address how your cultural, experiential or academic background contribute to the promotion of diversity at URI (as one complete document).
10/17/2022Open Until Filled:
YesQuicklink for Posting: