Working Position Title:
Associate or Full Professor and Program Director, Physical Therapy UPDATED (6391)Classification Title:
Associate Professor/Full ProfessorPosition Number:
09/09/2022Priority Review Date:
01/06/2023Business Unit Description:
UnionUnion Code :
Allied Health & Comm DisordersCollege/Unit:
College-Hlth & Human Sci DeanDivision:
WZ 340Link to Department Website or Custom Search Page:
We are inviting applications for a full-time, twelve-month, promotable, associate or full professor position within the Physical Therapy program. This position also serves as the Program Director for the Physical Therapy program. Faculty rank is dependent on experience, qualifications, and Board of Trustees policies. Position Summary:
Northern Illinois University (NIU) is recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in the category of Research Universities (high research activity). Dekalb, Illinois is a diverse community mixing the charm of a small town with access to all conveniences. The physical therapy program is part of the School of Allied Health and Communicative Disorders. Faculty in audiology, physical therapy, and speech-language pathology collaborate in clinical and research endeavors. The prospective candidate will work with a diverse student, faculty, and clinic population. Excellent off-campus sites are available for practicum, research, and grant development. The school includes a 27,000 sq. ft. multidisciplinary clinic space that houses the Speech-Language-Hearing and Physical Therapy Clinics. The university is prioritizing cross college collaboration and constructing new Health Informatics Technology and Community Sustainability Centers. For more information about the program, http://www.chhs.niu.edu/physical_therapy/
The Associate Professor or Full Professor will serve as the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) Program Director and oversee all aspects of program development and function of the Physical Therapy program.Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Provide leadership to the program and university
- Contribute to curriculum development and program advancement.
- Embrace NIU’s mission of providing opportunity to a diverse student body by providing them with access to high quality education and hands-on involvement in research and community engagement.
- Teach academic coursework and provide clinical instruction to DPT students and other students as appropriate;
- Engage in scholarly activity (e.g. research publications, presentations, grants);
- Provide student advisement and support student research;
- Positively contribute to committee service within the university (program, school, college, university levels) and profession;
- Performs as a core faculty member in the Physical Therapy program;
- Provides effective leadership for the program including, but not limited to, responsibility for communication, program assessment, and curriculum planning.
- Academic doctorate;
- Desire for leadership role;
- Meet the minimum requirements as stated by CAPTE to hold and perform the role of program director in a CAPTE accredited physical therapist education program;
- Active unrestricted-licensed physical therapist in any United States jurisdiction;
- Minimum of six years of full-time higher education experience;
- Minimum of three years of full-time experience as a core faculty member in a CAPTE accredited physical therapist education program;
- Complement expertise of existing faculty to ensure depth and breadth across the scope of practice as required by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education;
- Experience with connecting academic research and content to clinical implications and practices;
- Demonstrated record of excellence in university teaching;
- Demonstrated experience with committing to diversity and promoting an inclusive work and learning environments that foster creativity and innovation.
- If not already obtained, must obtain an active, unrestricted physical therapist license in the state of Illinois within six months of appointment;
- Ability and willingness to contribute to meeting the program’s instructional needs;
- Understanding of and experience with curriculum content, design, and evaluation;
- Employing strategies to promote and support professional development;
- Strong oral, written, visual, and electronic communication skills;
- Effective interpersonal and conflict management skills;
- Ability to facilitate change;
- Effective experience in strategic planning;
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact in a positive manner with diverse faculty, staff, patients, students, and clinicians as well as with people of varying economic and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to adhere to program’s immunization policies.
- clinic/program administration;
- being lead on university committees/departmental projects;
- high quality scholarly pursuits;
- utilization of course management systems to deliver organized and meaningful content;
Licensed physical therapist in the state of Illinois;
ABPTS Board Certification, or other advanced clinical certification;
History of engagement and service to the physical therapy profession at the local, state, and/or national level.Physical Demands Summary:
see HR policies and requirements associated with faculty rolesPercent of Staff Year:
Must be able to adhere to program’s immunization policies
1.00Standard Hours Per Week:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications; position includes a robust benefits packageHourly or Semi-monthly Pay Rate/Range:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications; position includes a robust benefits packageEarn Type:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Licensure information
- List of Three References
Applicants must apply online at NIU HR employment page and complete their applicant profile and upload their materials. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by January 6, 2023.
The proposed start date is no later than July 1, 2023. Applications received after January 6, 2023 are welcomed, but will be considered as needed.
Interviews may begin prior to January 6, 2023, but a decision will not be made until all applications submitted by that date have been considered.
For questions contact Lara Lyles (email@example.com
). Salary is commensurate with qualifications, experience, and internal equity.Quick Link to Applicant :
https://employment.niu.edu/postings/66271Is Background Check Required:
YesEEO Statement Summary:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX CoordinatorVisa Policy:
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) at firstname.lastname@example.org.Safety Information:
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.
Read the Annual Safety and Security Report. Contact the Ethics and Compliance Office at 815-753-1649 for a hard copy.
Read the Fire Safety Report. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at 815-753-0404 for a hard copy.