Computer Science Faculty, Full-TimeRequisition Number:
The Department of Computer Technologies invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in Computer Science for the 2023-2024 academic year. This is an on-campus teaching position, located in Philadelphia, PA.Specific Responsibilities:
The Computer Technologies Department includes various degrees and certificates in Computer Science, Information Systems, Network Administration, and Cybersecurity. The department strives to meet the needs of all students interested in obtaining an education in these areas and is focused on preparing diverse cohorts of IT specialists, software engineers, and computer scientists for successful careers. Many of our students transfer to some of the best computing programs in the Philadelphia area, while others move directly into new jobs or progress in their current career paths.
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment, and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry, and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural, and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
• Teach computing courses that may include foundational computer science and programming, data structures, algorithms, assembly and microarchitecture, and data science to students with a broad range of career interests.Minimum Qualifications:
• Help community college students further develop their computing skills, professional attitude, and behaviors for college and workplace success.
• Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course’s standard course outline as a guide.
• Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, hands-on activities, and presentations.
• Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
• Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
• Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
• Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times.
• Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning, including learning and using Publisher’s software when applicable.
• Develop and maintain working relationships with computing academia in Philadelphia and the local computing industry/workforce.
• Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, or as a student organization advisor.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Actively participate in the academic life of the College, including participation in graduation, recruitment events, general assemblies, student life activities, and other cross-functional teams.
• Create learning opportunities for students inside and outside the classroom, including opportunities to teach dual-enrollment high school students.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences, and foster collaboration.
• Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success.
• Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom.
• Demonstrate an understanding of and sensitivity to the College’s faculty, staff, and students’ diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Participate in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in one’s field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention.
• Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population.
• Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Commit to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession.
• Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.
• An earned master’s degree in computer science or a closely related field, such as electrical engineering, computer engineering, software engineering, computational science, or data science. Any and all degrees must be from a recognized institutional accreditor.Preferred Qualifications:
• At least one year of experience teaching computer science at the college level, either as the primary instructor or as a graduate teaching assistant.
• Must demonstrate the ability to communicate in a classroom.
• Ability to deliver required, predefined course elements, while drawing from one’s own knowledge and experiences, to engage students and make the course their own.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Willingness to revise and update courses.
• Doctorate degree preferred.Work Location:
• At least three years of teaching experience at the community college level or higher.
• Mastery of at least three of the following programming languages: Python, Java, C++, R, C, or an assembly language.
• Knowledge and/or willingness to develop and teach distance education and web enhanced courses.
• A flexible schedule is desirable, i.e. to teach classes in the day, evening, at the main campus, and/or at Regional Centers.
• Active participation in industry related professional development activities, meetings, and/or conferences.
• Prior experience using a Learning Management System, such as Canvas.
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
THIS POSITION IS ELIGIBLE FOR PARTIAL REMOTE WORKSalary Grade or Rank:
Interested persons should complete an online application
Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED
Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Rank 5 or Rank 6Position Type:
FacultyEmployment Status :